Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Don't forget Escondido which is where I think Dave is from as well. I'm really craving Agrusa's sandwiches right now too!

Before I met my wife, I was going out with one of the Agrusa daughters, no break on their 16 inch Super Subs, but they were always danged good... I heard that the patriarch, Joseph Agrusa, passed away last month...sorry to hear that, Joe was/is a good man.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Don't forget Escondido which is where I think Dave is from as well. I'm really craving Agrusa's sandwiches right now too!

Before I met my wife, I was going out with one of the Agrusa daughters, no break on their 16 inch Super Subs, but they were always danged good... I heard that the patriarch, Joseph Agrusa, passed away last month...sorry to hear that, Joe was/is a good man.

I have a buddy who was friends with his son at OG high school. My understanding is the family sold the business but everything stayed the same. Every time I'm back in Escondido, it's a must stop for their Italian sandwich..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

i liked that they finally featured a patina car in the mag. I don't think they have ever done that before. i remember vw trends did though i loved that mag. i do believe the hvw has made some improvements in the last few months in the right direction.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
i liked that they finally featured a patina car in the mag. I don't think they have ever done that before. i remember vw trends did though i loved that mag. i do believe the hvw has made some improvements in the last few months in the right direction.

Totally agree, for the first time in my life I will be getting a HVW's subscription.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I was asked by a mag years ago to do a feature on my car....I thought it was just too ugly. I gess if they were making a ugly bugly /mutant edition that would be different. I acctuly thought about buying a hvw&b mag yesterday at wally world...if they still have them.....my sub's expired....long long ago. and I dont need to see trailer queens or prostocks that are show cars and probably wont even start. and the $20,000 + new buggys. to me thats not hot.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
to me thats not hot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I like the new, more modern, and cleaner design of the magazine now.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Before I met my wife, I was going out with one of the Agrusa daughters, no break on their 16 inch Super Subs, but they were always danged good...

The daughters or the super subs?
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

If I'm reading that right, he's saying the daughters always gave him the full 16".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugpartslou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Pretty much done with the magazine. Lots of check writers and big dollar cars beyond the reach of most. Disappointing is the fact that two very well done restorations were photographed in the Midwest by HotVWs two years ago and have never seen print, I guess because they're not from CA. Both are beautiful, period correct, meticulously restored vehicles, Dave Rutter's 1963 Beetle Convertible, and Bill Bowman's 1959 Double Cab. Restored by the owners, not sent to a shop. I know that both of them devoted extra time to discuss their cars with the HVW rep, unfortunately to no avail.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

bugpartslou wrote:
Pretty much done with the magazine. Lots of check writers and big dollar cars beyond the reach of most. Disappointing is the fact that two very well done restorations were photographed in the Midwest by HotVWs two years ago and have never seen print, I guess because they're not from CA. Both are beautiful, period correct, meticulously restored vehicles, Dave Rutter's 1963 Beetle Convertible, and Bill Bowman's 1959 Double Cab. Restored by the owners, not sent to a shop. I know that both of them devoted extra time to discuss their cars with the HVW rep, unfortunately to no avail.

agreed..

I built a full custom car, top notch everything..first show out at farmington it won first place full custom, second show out it won best paint...

I met and showed the car to a HVW rep at the show-dean- and he says, "it's really nice..but I'm really into really nice '67's and drag racing coverage..RK might want to do it...maybe ask him at one of the shows sometime..."

Nearly 40yrs in the vw scene and nearly every magazine produced...
The car was/is well worth a full spread shoot based on all the cars that have been in the magazines...

Cash, connections, little palm greasing is what it takes i guess...

features have nothing to do with how well you build a car if the guy with the camera isn't in your pocket (or you in theirs)....
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

When my race car was featured I just finished building the Dunebuggy. When I loaded it on the trailer to take to the car show was literally the first time I drove it. Hot VW approached me and said they were interested in doing a photo shoot. I didn't politic or rub elbows with anybody, I don't know anybody or pay anybody. I'm not connect with any advertiser or shop. They just came up to me and took the pictures. About 2 months after it was photographed I was racing at the Texas Bug-In when the Hot VW guy told me he got some great action shots and would be including them in the article. It was two years from the time they took pictures till it was printed in the Magazine.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

For what it's worth I know in the past both trends and hot vws have written editorials on the car feature process. Many times they have a long line of features ahead of whomever just got photographed. Ways been that way.

What I got tired of seeing were seemingly entire calendar years dedicated to "shop cars" built by admittedly talented professionals. One year it was KCW and another year was Buddy Hale creations...then it seemed another deep pockets guy was getting a car in at least once a year.
Not a criticism on these craftsmen, but it isn't very fair to a lot of other people.
Hopefully the new direction of the magazi e wl continue to diversify car features.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I have never understood the thought of building a car just to show it for trophies and magazine coverage.

I always get a warm feeling when I see a line of very expensive car builds at a show, and the crowd gathers around the oddball homebuilt creation that drove hundreds of miles that week, instead of sitting in a garage waiting to be trailered to the show.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have never understood the thought of building a car just to show it for trophies and magazine coverage.

I always get a warm feeling when I see a line of very expensive car builds at a show, and the crowd gathers around the oddball homebuilt creation that drove hundreds of miles that week, instead of sitting in a garage waiting to be trailered to the show.

Same. I hit a lot of shows every summer and I'll cruise the show faster than my wife can walk, looking for something good. Good Guys in Puyallup wirh hundreds and hundreds cars will still only give me a handful that I'll stop to really look at. I'll pass a whole section of finished, traditional hot rods to look at a primered, slammed, Carson topped Rambler with a laid back windshield welded in out of something else, big wheels/brakes and modern power plant. It's not that I don't like finished, traditional cars... I'm just tired of looking at them.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
It's not that I don't like finished, traditional cars... I'm just tired of looking at them.

BINGO!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

kinda like going to a camarow car show and just get a hamburger&fries and ask where the bathroom is....not impressed.....with that said....our last promod was a carbon fiber 70 camarow with well over 800 CI and 4 stages of nitrious. 3 fogger setups and a viper. I although I must add I likes the car we had before it better....
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

What is a camarow? Is that a bird only seen in Florida?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Exactly. The best features to me have at least one shot of the car rolling down the highway- proof the car moves. Trailering long distance, well I get it too.

If your ego requires your car be featured or slathered with trophies you have issues not addressable during an awards presentation.

I've been a continuous subscriber for 33 years. There's much more in there now with Shin at the helm. If you wrote off the mag 2 years ago innovator you haven't seen the new one- so comparing it is invalid.

Also, if there have already been two fantastic restorations covered of double cabs recently, a third may be too soon.

My competing magazine would never last since I don't travel much and I'd only feature cool VWs owned by cool people. Notice I did not specify custom/resto/patina whatever, Simply cars as cool as their owner.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I gave up on Hot VW's awhile back, primarily due to the usual pro-built trailer queens, and the mag's continued belief that 1967 and earlier was all that mattered. However once I found out it was under new management, I thought I would give them another go. Been happy with the changes so far and am regularly buying the mag again. Still irritated they happily sell advertising space to GEX...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 29

Jump to: