Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vintage speed type3 engines
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicolas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: vintage speed type3 engines Reply with quote

i was wondering who did what for the type3 engine?
i know a lot off improvements were made for the type 3 compared to the more modest cc's in a beeltle engine, dual carbs, ..., but still there must have been kits available to improve type3's as well. these are quite rare and not much info has been posted on the subject.
i know EMPI did an add with a fastback GTV, but nothing is mentioned about engine mods except the sump and extractor exhaust (which i have never seen a picture off)
so maybe you guys could post some more info about 'type3 engine tuning' from back in the day.
nicolas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems pretty hard to get this topic going, but after some research i found an ad off a type3 package from empi on the net. it is in a empi catalog and it is a later type3 model. i have never read about one that has been found or sold, but i live in europe, so i might not be in the mix as americans would be. but it has some nice feautures. my question is, when did empi (or even other brands) see the need to improve the type3?
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicolas wrote:
after some research i found an ad off a type3 package from empi on the net. it is in a empi catalog and it is a later type3 model.

link?
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a Type 3 at Le Bug Show in Belgium a few years ago with a Speedwell Kit but I haven't found it in the EMPI Catalogues. I'll have a good look through my pictures today.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nicolas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
nicolas wrote:
after some research i found an ad off a type3 package from empi on the net. it is in a empi catalog and it is a later type3 model.

link?

i am not too good at this, but here you go (i hope)

http://www.webwrench.com/airaccess/empi1970-a.shtml

it is just one page in the catalog.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Other than the oil sump/cooler and extractor exhaust there's nothing engine related though. It's mostly appearance items.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still haven't found any evidence that any internal engine mods were available for Type 3s in the '60s. There is some speculation in Phil Stone's Volkswagen 1600 Guide (1966) that Okrasa was developing something for the Type 3, but I haven't found any evidence yet that they ever really did.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, when the T-3 hit the USA, it was not until 1966. '66 and '67 were the only years that were carburated. Only 2 years that could be modified easily. After that, it was fuel injection, and I think the modifiers were intimidated by that. Just like people are today. "Oh, you have to have carbs if you want to go fast.."

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Remember, when the T-3 hit the USA, it was not until 1966. '66 and '67 were the only years that were carburated. Only 2 years that could be modified easily. After that, it was fuel injection, and I think the modifiers were intimidated by that. Just like people are today. "Oh, you have to have carbs if you want to go fast.."

I think you're right. In 1966-67 even the earliest Type 3s were still relatively new cars, and the market for performance improvements would have been small. Add to that the fact that the Type 3s were already the best performing models in the VW range, and the introduction of FI for the US market in 1968, and the aftermarket parts suppliers must have realized there wasn't any real money in it.

The only widely available Type 3-specific vintage engine performance parts I'm aware of are exhaust systems (Abarth, and extractors like those offered by EMPI) and VW's optional bypass oil filter. Lots of those gray-market 1961-63 1500s were retrofitted with 1500S dual carbs when they became available. Other than that there wasn't much.
nicolas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good point about the US models being equiped quite rapidly with EFI.
but maybe some people in Europe have a few more chances to find something as the EFI model was offered next to the carburated one.

i personally have a Cyclone header and muffler for a type3 (and the construction is quite specific) but i have no idea about the year it was offered for the first time.

maybe others have some bits and pieces as well.
nicolas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this in a post on another forum. it is not 'old school' in it's pure form as it is most likely 70's stuff, but it shows a bit more about early type3 engines being tuned

enjoy
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping this for any more type 3 old speed knowledge. The one above is awesome, nowadays people think a 1600 on 36 Dellortos is ridiculous. IDA's on a 1679!!
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they're probably equal length, but isn't this wacky cylinder pairing with these headers?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: