Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice:stuck replacing driver's seat belt
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Need advice:stuck replacing driver's seat belt Reply with quote

First thing that I wanted to change in my new (old) van were the seat belts (previous owner mentioned that one of the rear ones didn't click well, and the front ones were somewhat difficult to slide). Next in my list are the fuel lines.

I got my new set from GoWesty and replaced today the two rear ones and the front passenger . Unlike the passenger seat, the driver's belt goes through a "guide" (see pics below) that doesn't seem to have a direct way to dismantle, should the cabinet and side trimming need to be taken out ?

This is an 87 Syncro Westy, but I'm not sure if this extra "guide" is standard equipment or something that a previous owner added.

Any tips/pointers will be appreciated (and yes, I know I have a lot of cleaning and sanding to do in the inside, outside and between)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my seat belt with a GoWesty too. I have a late 90 Westy with the same metal guide. In my case the guide has a small screw on each end that hold it in place. It was a little bit of troble getting to work around this. I didn't need to disassemble the cabinet although I ended up taking out the sink/stove cabinet lid. If you get somebody to help you hold the guide in place you won't need to take out the cabinet lid.

To replace the body of the belt you'll have to empty the cabinet under the sink and the divider shelf and work from inside the cabinet.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ! It was dark when I started tackling the driver's belt, and didn't notice the small screws, will check again tomorrow.

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question, since you just installed the GoWesty belts, did yours come with a cover for the belt roll ?
Mine did not come with them (so the roll is exposed), and It doesn't seem that the original covers will fit. I might end up calling GoWesty on Monday to find out if they forgot somehow.

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
One last question, since you just installed the GoWesty belts, did yours come with a cover for the belt roll ?
Mine did not come with them (so the roll is exposed), and It doesn't seem that the original covers will fit. I might end up calling GoWesty on Monday to find out if they forgot somehow.

hehe, I had the same issue, no covers, so I emailed GoWesty about it, they said new belts don't come/need with those covers anymore. The old ones are wider, don't fit. It sucks because when I was in Baja I ended up with a lot of dirt inside the van and the old covers did their job keeping the dirt out of the belt reels. I even spent sometime online trying to track down the belt manufacturer to see if I could find covers with no success. One thing I did is I bought one of those black long plastic covers and its metal mounting plate that are usually seen in vanagon passenger vans and installed one on the passenger side. You can see a picture of one of those here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-to-91-VW-Vanagon...0020409646
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: