Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Judson S/C is this, was supposed to be a 30HP VW?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: What Judson S/C is this, was supposed to be a 30HP VW? Reply with quote

Hi,

Recently purchased a Judson from a VW forum member (not from TheSamba) and it was supposedly a 30HP VW type. Because I'm reasonably new to the VW scene and to the Judson S/C, I assumed it was as stated, and the pic I was sent wasn't great. The problem with it is that the carby mount/opening is offset and rather large, also it doesn't sit right on the manifold, it fouls on the fan shroud by about 10mm. Can anyone tell what model it might be from the pics?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the intake port looks like it has been bored out and offset.

my Judson is long gone so I can't check the dimensions but yours looks the right size to be vw. the difference between 36 and 40hp Judson bodies is the positioning of the output/manifold port. one being centred the other offset. if yours won't fit on a 36hp with a stock manifold I think you can assume it is a 40hp.

with a little creative manifold modification you should get it to fit. there can't be too many judsons in Tasmania. Cool

if you ever get to salamanka markets ask the guy in the red hat selling apples if he knows where there are any split beetles, it'll make you cry. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems someone has taken to it with a die grinder, it was done so well/round it looked original. John Moxon also confirms it's a VW model. I'll be modifying the inlet soon to fix the clearance issues, and will prob have to make an aluminium adaptor for the Judson or get the inlet hole welded up and machined out again to the correct size. It's actually a 30HP (centre outlet) going onto a 1500, prob why I have slight clearance issues, no pulley at this stage, it'll be a custom made one to suit. Haven't been in Tas for that long and not heard of anyone with a Judson yet, but starting to meet a few people with split buses. I'll prob get to the markets next weekend, will definitely look out for the guy selling apples, I was looking for a split beetle a few months ago but gave up and decided to focus on the Kombi and my R100 that's been in storage for 16yrs waiting for a resto Smile .
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense now, I thought that centre outlet was 36hp but then you said it wouldn't fit (I assumed you meant on a 36...)

the apple guy is my uncle, I asked him that question not long after I got into vw's and he told me he had helped a friend haul a split window beetle off his property to the Huonville tip a couple of years earlier. Crying or Very sad
for non Australians, 1953 was when vw's were first officially imported, so split windows beetles are very few and far between here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn!!! I actually live in Huonville at the moment, wonder if it's still buried there somewhere lol It's like the time I went looking for a Mazda R100, drove all the way to Whyala in SA, and a guy there said they had a few couple years back and used them in a smash up derby, I'm still recovering from that news lol also, I spoke to a guy I met recently, he said he was bush walking on Bruny island when he came across a split bus buried half way into the ground, wheels not visible Sad , apparently nothing left on it to salvage except for a perfect pair of headlight lenses, which he took.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: