Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kits and how to for dual Carbs to the 40Hp
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Dell's? They came with 26mm venturies, right? Per the carbueretor selection and jetting tech articles in aircooled.net, the venturi should be 3-5mm smaller than your intake valve diameter. 40hp intake valve is 32mm, right? So the carbs could match quite well. I don't think baby Dell's ever had STEEL intake manifolds, and the carb flange bolt pattern is different than for Solex PDSIT, Solex PIC, Kadron and Weber ICT AFAIK. You might be able to make your own flange out of steel, and weld it onto a suitable steel manifold for your 40hp "level" intake manifold flange.

Berg's carb linkage is great since it allows easy adaptation for such a custom design and kind of looks "old" especially if you paint the linkage angle-iron in black.
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

So there is nobody in the continental USA who can provide this type of a set up like the above set up from Germany? That is really hard to imagine. Jim
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome, thanks for doing the research on the dellortos... I didn't know about that linkage...This might become a winter project (great another one!)... Now I need to get my hands on some 40hp intakes...and start choppin' and weldin'!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Another final detail you might consider is the "stability" of a tall manifold/carb/air cleaner assembly on the small attachment area of the head. You have a potentially large leverage effect with all that weight acting upon the small M6 studs of the 40hp head. If you ever get your custom carb setup done (we wish you encouragement, and pls post photos of it!), consider making a simple brace from the top of the carb body to the fan shroud. I did that for a set of SP Kadrons, using a 2" or 3" piece of "right angle" flat metal reinforcement bracket (L-bracket) from a hardware store. I found 2 carb top body attachment bolts closest to the fan shroud, then only needed to drill 1 additional hole in the bracket so that it fastened to the carb with those 2 bolts, then reached over to the shroud. Use a sturdy sheetmetal bolt in the fan shroud. Also make sure to use a large thick flat washer at the manifold where it fastens to the head so that the attachment nut's force is spread over the largest possible surface area, but don't overtighten the bolts- I'd suggest using the same torque as per the sump plate nuts = 6 lb.ft.

Also, about 13 yrs ago I found a pair of old single-throat downdraft Solex carbs on a Euro-spec Mercedes in a junkyard. They looked "VW-size" so I took them off, then found that the bolt pattern to the manifold was also slightly different than for a VW Solex carb, Kad, etc. I had a local metal fab shop rebush the holes in a set of metal Kad manifolds to match. You could do that also for your combo, that is, to find some cheap steel manifolds and have new holes drilled and bushed. Or, just grind out the existing holes so that you can fit the carbs' studs thru it and use fender washers... Certainly cheaper.
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: dual carb kit for 40hp Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with this kit that says it is "bolt on" for the 40hp engine?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10...8510689731
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price, I'm not going to try and buy one to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: dual carb kit for 40hp Reply with quote

That is exactly why I am asking the forum.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't that just be the empi 40 HPMX kit labeled incorrectly.
Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
james m. stein wrote:
Are there any suppliers offering a dual carb set ups with linkage and manifolds ready to bolt on "out of the box" for the 40hp engine? Thanks, Jim

No, not that I know of. As I mentioned before, the only way to get something like that, is to get like Weber 34ICTs for SP and use 1300 heads.

Do 1300 heads bolt right up?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

AtvMxRider wrote:

Do 1300 heads bolt right up?

Yep, the cylinder opening was still the same size on 1300. It got larger for 1500/1600 series heads. Now, the upper cylinder head studs do need to be longer, the same as needed with the good mid-late 1965 40HP heads.
Shane6 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Vanguards cable linkage set up on my '63 vert. When I was finishing the car I was completely convinced that the cable linkage would be problematic and I would be yanking the engine and replaceing it with a bone stock 40hp. It's about 5 years later and 22k miles and I almost never have to touch them! It took some fiddling around with backing down the accelerator pumps and changing the jetting on the 28 pict1 carbs but this set up has been a dream come true! I'm also running 83mm P/C set with 1.25:1 ratio rockers, reworked repop abarth exhaust, 010 distributor, Judson Magneto (not in older picture), and Knecht aircleaners.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Shane6 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane6: did you put in a new bottom end with the bigger P&C's? Jim
ACTION IS GO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

vicpolky wrote:
glutamodo wrote:
james m. stein wrote:
Are there any suppliers offering a dual carb set ups with linkage and manifolds ready to bolt on "out of the box" for the 40hp engine? Thanks, Jim

No, not that I know of. As I mentioned before, the only way to get something like that, is to get like Weber 34ICTs for SP and use 1300 heads.

Riechert do a good kit, single port manifolds to fit 40hp, full linkage, and dual carbs. Worked pretty much 'out of the box' - they even jetted them to suit the engine set-up I was having built.

link: http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/

The website (english version) says it's out dated. Can you still order from the website or call?
vicpolky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

FTW1971 wrote:
vicpolky wrote:
glutamodo wrote:
james m. stein wrote:

Riechert do a good kit, single port manifolds to fit 40hp, full linkage, and dual carbs. Worked pretty much 'out of the box' - they even jetted them to suit the engine set-up I was having built.

link: http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/

The website (english version) says it's out dated. Can you still order from the website or call?

I would definitely call, I think he's one of those guys who only checks his email if he's expecting one. Bernd is a genuinely helpful on the phone, his English ain't great - but it's 100 times better than my German Embarassed Very Happy

When I was ordering mine, I rang to talk to him generally about what I was looking for, and then he asked me to email detailed engine specs, as he flow-benched the kit to suit before shipping it.
Shane6 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james m. stein wrote:
Shane6: did you put in a new bottom end with the bigger P&C's? Jim

Jim, I started with an early 40 hp case (within a few hundred numbers of being correct for my car) that still was useable and standard. I had a freind cut it for cam bearings. I put it together with a NOS crank, KS main and rod bearings, rebuilt rods, square boss heads, a bus 6volt 200mm flyweel, heavy duty valve springs and solid rocker shafts.

One mistake I made was not bolting the used cam gear to the cam because the gear came loose after about 1000 miles and I had to tear it down.

Something I'm considering locating in the future is a true magneto to isolate the engine ignition from the occasional 6 volt issues.

Shane
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I can say is
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the stock 28PCI is overjetted for the 1200, otherwise it runs just fine.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but that alternator just looks wack with the rest of your set-up. It's like a nice slice of cheesecake with a dead goldfish on top.
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit I posted:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10...8510689731
is in fact not correct for the 1200 40 HP and is for the 1500/1600. I will make my own manifolds and set up as others have done for my engine.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shane, good work! The only way you can get those stock 28's to work on a full fan shroud is to mount them waaay up like you did. With such long manifolds, how is throttle response at higher engine speeds?

Mr. Stein, that JC Whitney ad for the carbs would be suitable for a DUAL-PORT engine. I'm not aware of any dual-throat, dual carb kit that would neck down into a single-port's teeny intake manifold ports.

Wishing you careful measuring and success with your manifold fabrication.
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome, Thankfully welds can be rewelded! But I am sure there are posters here that can help me. I am starting with single port intakes from a later model and grafting on the port connections from a '65 1200 intake. So except for screwing them up in any assortment of orientations I should be fine. Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: