Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glass interchangeability?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Glass interchangeability? Reply with quote

Searched, but didn't see it. Bus suffered some halloween prankster damage (I'll post a thread about it tomorrow) and I need some replacement windows. If I have a 70, will other years fit, like from a 76, or no? Also, the passenger window all the way at the back is solid, w/o vent window. Prior to destruction, the drivers side furthest had a vent window. Would the glass from the passenger fit in the drivers hole? I would rather have a solid glass there. Also, would a glass place be able to make replacement glass for the holes?

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 68 to 79 bays use the same glass.

All the glass in USA buses except the windshield is tempered glass. You cannot cut tempered glass. It is cut first, tempered after. The windshield is laminated. Find used glass.
VWMIKE76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Glass interchangeability? Reply with quote

Hell yea steve do away with that leaking vent window, well mine leaked so i did the solid piece also.

Bay Window Steve wrote:
Searched, but didn't see it. Bus suffered some halloween prankster damage (I'll post a thread about it tomorrow) and I need some replacement windows. If I have a 70, will other years fit, like from a 76, or no? Also, the passenger window all the way at the back is solid, w/o vent window. Prior to destruction, the drivers side furthest had a vent window. Would the glass from the passenger fit in the drivers hole? I would rather have a solid glass there. Also, would a glass place be able to make replacement glass for the holes?

78 westy "Doc". in very good hands of a fellow samba member!
79 hardtop landmark "Shaggy II"
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you were closer, I've got more Bus glass here than I know what to do with.
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:

Wish you could ship it. I don't know how hard that solid piece on the drivers side is going to be to replace. So I take it I can take a solid piece that would go on the passenger rear side and put it on the driver rear side? I figured they would fit.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay Window Steve wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

Wish you could ship it. I don't know how hard that solid piece on the drivers side is going to be to replace. So I take it I can take a solid piece that would go on the passenger rear side and put it on the driver rear side? I figured they would fit.

Yes, they are a mirror image of one another. The logo on the glass won't read right, but that will be the only difference.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got a couple of pieces I could part with, But I'm not that much closer than NY
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Bay Window Steve wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

Yes, they are a mirror image of one another. The logo on the glass won't read right, but that will be the only difference.

Its a "ratty camper". If anyone notices that, then they had a whole lot to overlook first. Laughing

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logos don't always read right on OG buses, seems VW did a little swapping sometimes at the factory too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: