Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

frame
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: frame Reply with quote

I sold my buggy last year and reget it so I'm going to build a new one. I had a berrien chassis on the old one there was a couple of things I did not like about it so want to build my own.I want to use 2" sq tube keep under the tunnel ope n for accesslike the berrien.I want to mount the front beam different tho I want to bolt it in like a stock one instead of useing the clamps like the berien frame and also not have the 2 tubes that go to top of beam any ideas on ways of doing it ???
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the way VW did it on a stock chassis.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Just curious, what didn't you like about the clamp system for the front beam? The arches to the top of the beam look odd but address the structural needs. I always assumed it was superior by allowing a wider mount point and added strength from that perspective. The Berrien chassis is one I'm looking at as I take a shot at building my own ( also out of 2x2), and am considering an exo frame that the body will slip into. That way I and get some side impact protection (pipe dream Wink ) and tie into the upper tube of the beam as well. Having owned a berrien chassis one I'd value your opinion on such matters.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bob cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: frame Reply with quote

the qaulity of the berien frame is very good so do not think that I'm putting them down at all !!!!! what I want to change is I want a steel floor instead of fiberglass also I'm just not a fan of the clamps on the beam I like the idea of 4 long bolts like the factory came with .I think it is more secure and stays lined up better.Also on the berrien you can not run a narrowed beam the clamps hit the shock up rights. I think I can make my own frame cheaper and also make the changes I want I believe I can incorporate a tunnel that can tie into the beam and bolt on like stock and still get plenty of strength for a street only buggy .I will still keep bottom of tunnel open like berrrien makes it nice to run lines and wires and such I'm open to anyone input on this subject
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable, I've never heard of much slippage with clamps but my exposure is limited to sand rails. Be sure to post pics when you get going. I plan to start with a layout mimicking the original pan and then build up from there. I'll be using clamps and was debating the benefit of butting them up against the towers, conflicts with the grease fitting there, was also considering tire sizes and clearance when turning . Finding a lot to think about as I consider my frame....... Shocked

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr8cobbler wrote:
Bob,
Just curious, what didn't you like about the clamp system for the front beam? The arches to the top of the beam look odd but address the structural needs. I always assumed it was superior by allowing a wider mount point and added strength from that perspective. The Berrien chassis is one I'm looking at as I take a shot at building my own ( also out of 2x2), and am considering an exo frame that the body will slip into. That way I and get some side impact protection (pipe dream Wink ) and tie into the upper tube of the beam as well. Having owned a berrien chassis one I'd value your opinion on such matters.

The reason the top beam mounts have the arch is to clear the tie rods throughout their travel.
A narrowed beam works real well with the Berrien mounting. You get to do away with the shock towers and mount the shock to the frame.
I'm sure Berrien would modify the mounting a little as well.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92

Last edited by lostinbaja on Mon May 11, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
bob cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: frame Reply with quote

lost your right I had not thought about eliminating the shock towers before and that would work and yes berrien is easy to work with I'm sure they could do some changes !!! I like this site just for the input everyone gives sure makes it alot easier to get a project headed in the right direction. as far as the grease fitting yea I had to put a small notch in the clamps to clear them I should of just moved the fittings over a couple of inches. I just want a 2" narrowed beam to tuck tires in alittle on each side and still be able to run a 6" wide wheel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: