Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home...
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

<If this belongs in a different subforum, please let me know!>

Not too long ago, forum member vwkombi1966 (Dave) was approached by a gentleman at the AM/PM. Dave was fueling up his 68 Square and this guy says he has three of them and is looking to sell and asks if Dave is interested...

Uh, yes lol

Dave and I show up (this is two days ago) and he says he actually has:

1970 Squareback
1971 Squareback
1972 Squareback
...and...
1963 Bug
1969 Bus

Wait, what? You have a 63 bug and 69 bus too?!

Here are a couple of photos (each photo is a different vehicle):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it isn't ok to post about the bug and bus here, let me know and I will remove!

Yes, we bought them all. There is some supremely rough stuff but there is also a lot of good stuff here. The owner has all the titles too!

I secured a place for them to live on the same property where I'm currently restoring a 69 square for myself. After the initial inspection, we surmise the bus and bug can be restored. One square is going to be a parts car. The other two are unsure. It looks like at least one of them can be reasonably restored.

We have access to a trailer; just setting up the time. We're hoping to go get them sometime this week!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

Nice find and hopefully, recovery.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

It's impressive how old chrome holds up.

Nice find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

Oh Wow talk about green stuff.....looks like a day at the car wash just to see what you have. Do keep us posted and more photos too.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

Yes indeed!

For our non-US posters, I live in the northwestern corner of the US. Stuff grows crazy here. The owner says much of the growth over the car in pic #2 was just one year!

gt1953 wrote:
Oh Wow talk about green stuff.....looks like a day at the car wash just to see what you have. Do keep us posted and more photos too.
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

Photo #1 from the post above is a 1972 model. Here are a few additional pics...

iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

The second photo from the original post is a 1970. Nature had a good hold on this one so I only got a couple of shots. The existing owner is machete-ing it out today...

iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

For the third square, we have a 1971...

iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

I'm a little late with the updates... we got the vehicles back to the shop on the 12th and 13th...

At the removal site, we had the usual F-350 w/ trailer but needed something else to dig the cars out so a friend brought his 4runner which did the job easily...

On the other end, Brian waited to pull each one off the trailer:

iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

The bus and bug arrived first but I'll skip those as they are OT.

The 72 square (only automatic of the 5) arrived next. It doesn't look too bad! Haha

Then another...

It's getting late but there is still one more!

It did not help that the squares are all the same color!

I'm going to slip one shot of the bug after the "green" has been washed off. Note it's a 66 and not 63 as the owner previously reported to me...

hentotheree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

Wow, that's awesome. Looks like you're in for some fun times ahead!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

iamnotatwork wrote:

Love the Green Tribble Convoy making its way down the fender/hood line.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

iamnotatwork wrote:
I'm a little late with the updates... we got the vehicles back to the shop on the 12th and 13th...

At the removal site, we had the usual F-350 w/ trailer but needed something else to dig the cars out so a friend brought his 4runner which did the job easily...

Over the years, my front or backyard looked like that. Now I'm down to just 2 of my own type 3s.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

Great recovery! Those black berries were hungry for some VW Laughing Im going to check out that 69 bus over in bayland Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

Cool finds for sure.
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

I see Dave properly posted about the bus! That will be quite a project...

notchboy wrote:
Great recovery! Those black berries were hungry for some VW Laughing Im going to check out that 69 bus over in bayland Wink
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Big find - three squarebacks, a bus, and a bug! Coming home... Reply with quote

I power washed one of them and took photos but I can't seem to find. I'll take new pics tomorrow. It looks better than I expected!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: