Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I take Speedometer out, apart?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, You just helped me get my odometer to read 1 mile! Cool
Can't say thanks enough! Very Happy
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was all happy THEN, until I tried to take off the needle to clean up, it was grungy, I don't really need to finish the story... Mad Embarassed Laughing
member #2850
1966 Beetle
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH well, that can be playing with fire. Been there! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KillerTux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging this thread up, I just got a NOS speedometer and I was wondering do I put grease on the end of the speedometer cable that goes into the speedometer?
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky.

Thanks, Andy.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manuals do not mention any lubrication of the cable end where it goes into the speedometer head. It's a solid drive connection.

Actually, with an NOS speedometer head, the factory lubrication might be gummed up a bit from age - it might be worth your while to do as I've mentioned before, point the input shaft up and fill that up with some decent spray lube - I like to use ones with PTFE in them like TriFlow or Liquid Wrench non-flammable - and let it sit for a bit. Then let it drain out, there will be a little residual there where the cable goes in, that's OK.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found that, as expected, the splines weren't right to allow the needle calibration to be the same as before. So I took the brass bushing off and repositioned it. Same thing. Grrr. Decided to give up and write this post instead. Cool

Quote:
Hope that was helpful for someone out there!

Andy

I know this is an old thread but great job Andy, one question though?
After all that work and detail why did you give up tring to get it right in the end for calibration or needle alignment?, or did you finally figure it out later?, just curious, I have a speedo that has a whine in it and I wanted to open it up and try to repair it before replacing it just to see if i could, thanks
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di-electric grease works good as a speedo lubricant,its clean, clear and resists corrosion...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:
After all that work and detail why did you give up tring to get it right in the end for calibration or needle alignment?, or did you finally figure it out later?, just curious,

I never went back to it because I'm not using it. I took that apart entirely for to take pictures of the process. I've not needed to use it, but if at some point I DO decide to use it, it'll probably be in my 62. And if I do that, I will take it apart and set the odometer to match the one that's in the car. At that time I'd go and try to get the calibration to match the old one as well.
-Andy
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:
After all that work and detail why did you give up tring to get it right in the end for calibration or needle alignment?, or did you finally figure it out later?, just curious,

I never went back to it because I'm not using it. I took that apart entirely for to take pictures of the process. I've not needed to use it, but if at some point I DO decide to use it, it'll probably be in my 62. And if I do that, I will take it apart and set the odometer to match the one that's in the car. At that time I'd go and try to get the calibration to match the old one as well.
-Andy

thanks Andy I know this was an old thread just was wondering if you ever completed it, thanks again for the info
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BGLOCOTE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this post was perfect fixed my speedo! Now I'm really almost ready for the road. Wink

Looking for 54-55 TYPE 1 finger tin.

UNITED STATES SUBMARINE VETERAN
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a stupid question.....

There was no seal when I took my '66 speedo apart. Is there supposed to be a seal? I checked on WW website and their part description for the years and type of speedo is a little confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Moto

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet now I can get the speedo in my '66 working good.

1966 Bug Bahama Blue(my first car)
1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1970 Fastback Diamond Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1963 Karmann Ghia Ruby Red
1969 VW Variant
DrHAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Thank you so much Reply with quote

Thank you! This helped me so much, it allowed me to completely rebuild my 1968's original speedometer... granted the needle broke the moment I opened up the bezel, though luckily I had a spare mexi bug speedo in garage that I used for parts, Though I must say that spline was a pain in the arse to get off Evil or Very Mad I had to use a hammer to get enough leverage on it... So now I have a custom 1968, cleaned, sparkling pretty much new speedo! Blue Bug
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought I just had on reinstalling the needle and bushing to regain proper alignment: how about installing the needle on the bushing first so you can use the needle point to aim where it needs to be while reinserting the bushing on the shaft?

Motomazzo, there is typically a seal between speedometer and dash, then two more inside the bezel.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Incredible help for speedo issues Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Andy!
carl berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Non working 'tripmeter' Reply with quote

The km calibrated speedo has a push button reset tripmeter that isn't working...any suggestions?
Thanks '58VS replica
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am two months later and only now noticing this last question.

The trip-meter speedometers are somewhat different inside- I've only ever looked at the insides of one once, and that was years before I had a digital camera to document the internals. So I'm sad to say... can't be of much help on those.

-Andy
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Jammed Speedometer? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just stumbled upon this thread--awesome details! Thank you SAMBA members for such great info!

OK, so I hope someone can offer some advise. Rolling Eyes

My speedo needle was jumping a bit and I heard the tell-tale sound of the cable buzzing...but before I could get to the cable to lube it (was driving down the highway) I heard a "snap" and then no more speedo. (Note: the odometer wasn't working at all previously...I bought it that way and haven't had a chance to address it)

I happen to have a spare speedo cable, and assumed the current one had broken...so before pulling the old one completely off, I simply disconnected it from the back of the unit and connected the new one-- and then tried to manually turn the cable to see if the needle moved...but nope it won't budge. It's clearly not stripped as that would mean the cable would turn, correct? But I can't get the cable to budge. Thus, I think I have a jammed up/locked up speedometer. I'm not looking forward to pulling the speedometer out, but will do so if I have to. However, I am wondering:

A) Could I simply spray some liquid wrench into where the cable end goes on the back of the unit? Or would that mess anything up.

B) If I do indeed need to dismantle the whole assembly, do I need to deal with the face plate/needle, etc...or can I get to the gears without messing with them? (I'm trying to avoid breaking anything and the face/gels look great already so I don't intend on changing them out)

Thanks for any help on this.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the speedometer out and point the input shaft straight up and spray some lubricant in there, you might be able to free it up. Depends on why it seized though - it's got to be either the lubricant on that input shaft bushing is gunked up or the odometer worm gear jammed up.

You can take the input shaft half of the speedometer apart without messing with the faceplate/needle half.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: