Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I take Speedometer out, apart?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: Pen tube is way too heavy. I'm going to give an olive sword instead...Hope it works!!
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed these instructions to freshen up my speedo last night. Worked great!! I must have missed the part about lining the gears back up. lol It took me about 45 minutes to figure it out. But I came out with a final result of 9 miles. Also, I removed the needle, so that I would put any kind of stress on it, well I dropped it about a foot fall onto a chair. The fall snapped the needle off. So I knew I was going to have to get creative. I searched and couldn't find just a needle. So, with the remaining broken needle remaining on the needle assembly, I took an ink pen tube (empty of course) and fit it to the end of the broken shaft. Then I wittled away the tube on the back side to reduce as much weight as possible, beings as the original needle was virtually weightless. I continued to push the needle up and down to see how the screw would allow it to move. Slowly I wittled away a bit more. when I got a favorable result, I used some acrylic paints I had laying around to get a nice shade of orange. (sorry, that's the color I wanted) I then used a toothpick and painted the inside of the tube, without filling it with paint. Came out looking great! I also replaced the gels with a vitamin d milk lid and an apple juice lid! They look awesome!! I then replaced my speedometer cable. So, now I am patiently waiting for the wife to get home so I can take the refreshed speedo out on its maiden voyage!!
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to thank Andy for the great writeup on the disassembling, cleaning, and restoration of the speedometer. The one in our buggy died on Saturday on the way to a cruise, so we had to use the GPS as a backup. Thanks to this great posting, I took it out, apart, cleaned and repaired and reinstalled in a couple of hours. Outstanding job! Applause

If you come out to Big Bear in July, the round is on me! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks again, Andy!

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The other thing that I've done is another "prior to removal" - and that is to run it on a drill you can depend on its speed being constant ( like a corded drill) and spin a cable with it on the speedometer in reverse at the drill's top speed, and note the speedometer reading. Then you'll have another reference point to check once you've put it back together.

-Andy
That's a fine idea just so long as we stress that it has to be a corded drill. Cordless drills aren't consistent enough. For that matter, even some corded drills have far too much torque and will max out the speedometer before reaching a top speed. I bought an adjustable speed corded drill from Harbor Freight specifically for testing speedometers. It was a worthwhile $15.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that I've done is another "prior to removal" - and that is to run it on a drill you can depend on its speed being constant ( like a corded drill) and spin a cable with it on the speedometer in reverse at the drill's top speed, and note the speedometer reading. Then you'll have another reference point to check once you've put it back together.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herrbern wrote:
I followed the tutorial and before I put my speedo back together, just one question about the needle position.
How do I put the needle in the right position to be sure that the speed indication is correct when driving?
If you have a late model speedometer, there is a white calibration line on the faceplate along the outside edge. You'd have to lightly put the needle on below the stop pin where it lines up with this line, then gently bend it up over the pin before securing it completely.

If you have an early model, there is no calibration mark in the face. I always add one on the backside before removing the needle from the gauge. It's the only way to make it as accurate as it was prior. Without that reference, you'd basically have to take a guess at it by looking at some of the pictures that have been provided here by members before their needles were removed.

Edit: Andy has a picture on page one of this thread that shows the position of the needle where it should rest before slipping it over the stop pin.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the tutorial and before I put my speedo back together, just one question about the needle position.
How do I put the needle in the right position to be sure that the speed indication is correct when driving?
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: speedometers Reply with quote

barry cox wrote:
Thanks Eric, I have a 73 Beetle that I have already installed a 66 tank and gauge in. I like the older look on the 68 and earlier, and I wanted to go with an earlier speedo if it is the same size. I know super beetle speedo"s are larger. I just need to know about the standard Beetle speedo.
If you went with a '68 speedometer, youd have the advantage of the classy, early graphics with the benefit of the incorporated fuel gauge. It's a one year only option that would likely meet your goals if you haven't already installed a seperate early fuel gauge.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only on the 73-79 Super Beetles that you can't use the older speedometers. True, the ratio for the odometer gearing did change slightly, a couple of times in the 70s, but the fitment was the same on non-Supers all the way back to the oval window era.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barry cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: speedometers Reply with quote

Thanks Eric, I have a 73 Beetle that I have already installed a 66 tank and gauge in. I like the older look on the 68 and earlier, and I wanted to go with an earlier speedo if it is the same size. I know super beetle speedo"s are larger. I just need to know about the standard Beetle speedo.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll fit just fine, they just don't have a gas gauge.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
barry cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: speedometer interchange Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me why a pre 68 speedometer will not work on 68 and later beetles. Is it because they have a smaller radius or mount different?
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. I'm doing a complete restoration on one right now. No one can complain about your result given what you started with. I haven't seen a clear needle look that good in a long time. It's just too bad you don't have the disc still in its original color to take out shopping with you.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Tim. I was heading out and figured I get the paint so that's real cool. I wanted to see what the blue looked like for the signals but I don't care for it.Going back to green although I think the original was red for this year. '59. I 'll probably sell but wanted to make sure it worked . It's off a couple of mph in some places but right on in others so close enough.Got it in a pile of parts I bought.Had rust spots on the face and it wouldn't clean off without mucking it up. Here's the before

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. I think that looks pretty nice! I see you went blue for your turn signal indicator also.

I'm not positive, but I believe that Rustoleum's metallic nickel finish is fairly close to the stock color. Years of sunlight and UV exposure do make an impression.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread is active I thought I would ask. Does anyone know the correct color spray paint to paint the inside face of the speedometer. I cleaned this one up the other day and used what was handy. In this case it was a color I use for gas heaters -silver hammertone. I don't like it and want the original. Or close to it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KOMBI NIKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a go, I'll start looking for a pic to scan from.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're in the same boat as "propguy" above, with a less-than-perfect face.

A home-printed decal might work OK - not sure how well it would hold up over time. I've painted clear acrylic over inkjet decals (NOT VW related) that I've printed in the past to make them weatherproof and usually they look better for it as well.

-Andy
KOMBI NIKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled my 60 kombi speedo apart fixed the miles but now I need to repaint the face, any ideas? I thought of using model decal paper to print on using a good quality scan.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propguy wrote:
OK,
So I got my speedo apart- Thanks Andy for the step by step. Unfortunately I scratched the face. I am pretty sure that there isn't any way to fix that nicely. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Post a picture so we can take a look at the damage.

Worse case scenario, start checking the classifieds here and on eBay. Chances are good you'll find a non-functional speedometer for sale you can pick up for $20 or less, that you can borrow a face plate from.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: