Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shudder in late 3rd gear and 4th gear
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: shudder in late 3rd gear and 4th gear Reply with quote

i am getting a major shudder when i get into higher rpm of 3rd dear and in forth gear. the shudder or bounce seems to die down when i pet up on the gas without touching the clutch but when i apply the car again it spudders and bounces. It never dies but just bounces.

also i have never had this happen before so i put it up on jack stands and did a valve adjustment already. when it was on jack stands i started it up and went through all the gears. it still spuddered. i left it in forth and the got out with it running and noticed the rear drivers tire was spinning like it should but the rear passenger side would move only a couple inches then stop and then move a couple inches and so on.... is that normal?

anyone have any ideas on what would cause this spudder?
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1984 Vanagon Westfalia EJ25
1964 Lifted Mouse Grey Standard
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other wheel not turning is normal when off the ground. The sputter im not sure have you checked all the tune up specs and adj. everything to your engine spec and retried the test ? Im sure others will come up with other things to check...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just replaced the fuel pump... no change to the spuddering

also replaced the points
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with fuel filter, tank screen then cap, rotor, points, condenser, wires.
Have you cleaned the carb out?
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did the points alreeady. I sprayed out the jets on the csrb. in the morning i will replace the plug wires.

could the tank screen and the fuel filter only effect late 3rd gear and 4th?
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am having a similar problem. I have a 65 Beetle with a 1776 and duel carbs, .009 distributor and electronic ignition. Running very smoothly, but... at times, when I am cruising in 4th gear, between 40-50 mph, when I find myself giving the engine a certain amount of throttle, I get a hard shudder throughout the car...not an engine sputtering. Even the stickshift shudders. If I let off the gas and coast, or if I step harder on the pedal and give it more throttle, the shudder disappears. Any idea what I should look at to correct this problem? Anyone ever have similar symptoms? Thanks.
Navy8R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter57, if I follow Icekoffee's post correctly his problem is at high rpm, yours is at low rpm. As for your problem I would suggest you look at your idle jet size. At low rpm (45-50 mph in 4th gear) you’re running on the idle jets. If they are too small your engine can be made to idle ok by means of the idle adjuster (open the throttle plate to compensate) but during highway conditions, with the engine loaded more, it will be running lean. When cruising at low rpms slight additional throttle pressure will result in a temporary excessive lean condition and misfire, not to be confused with backfire. When you press down hard on the throttle you squirt extra gas, via the accelerator pump, into the carb and you get a much richer mixture. Hence, no more stumble. As you continue to accelerate and the wind load increases on the car your throttle position becomes greater and you now start using more of the main jet and the problem goes away.

Sorry icekoffee.
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutter57 wrote:
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am having a similar problem. I have a 65 Beetle with a 1776 and duel carbs, .009 distributor and electronic ignition. Running very smoothly, but... at times, when I am cruising in 4th gear, between 40-50 mph, when I find myself giving the engine a certain amount of throttle, I get a hard shudder throughout the car...not an engine sputtering. Even the stickshift shudders. If I let off the gas and coast, or if I step harder on the pedal and give it more throttle, the shudder disappears. Any idea what I should look at to correct this problem? Anyone ever have similar symptoms? Thanks.

I would bet money that you have a slight vacuum leak at one of your intakes. Giving it more gas masks the air being sucked in on one side of the motor and will smooth one side out. Check your intake and carb gaskets and Torque those suckers down, see if problem persists.
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Navy8R and FastinRadford...I will look at both of those possibilities when I am home this weekend
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, and sorry it took so long to post this followup. Fastinradford was right about the cause of my shudder in 4th gear...was a vacuum leak. I have to remove my dual carbs when I do a tune-up, in order to reach my #1 and #3 spark plugs. It is difficult to tighten the two bolts that hold the carbs to their intakes...very little room to turn a wrench. When I checked, the bolts were all in need of tightening. They were not loose enough to turn by hand, but they all could be tightened more...my laziness, I guess. Since then, no more shudder. Thanks again. By the way, I have bought a couple wrenches with the intention of bending them laterally, about 45 degrees, about 1.5 inches from their heads, to give me improved tightening/loosening.
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So glad I could help. Very Happy
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutter57 wrote:
It is difficult to tighten the two bolts that hold the carbs to their intakes...very little room to turn a wrench. When I checked, the bolts were all in need of tightening. They were not loose enough to turn by hand, but they all could be tightened more...my laziness, I guess. Since then, no more shudder. Thanks again. By the way, I have bought a couple wrenches with the intention of bending them laterally, about 45 degrees, about 1.5 inches from their heads, to give me improved tightening/loosening.

Exactly. You need one or two "bent 13's" bent with a torch and vise set-up into 1/2 moon crescents. Approaching 90 degrees is fine, actually.

There's another dimension to the problem on some bolt situations, so if you bend the first one "crooked," (not just the flat 2-D bend but with a 3rd dimension error)--bend the next one with the error the other way, for some left-or-right-handed situations where you can actually use the 3rd D error for your advantage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: