Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting smoking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I have to quit ASAP. my mother just got diagnosed with lung cancer. I have slowed way the hell down, but it still isn't quitting....I hope by Christmas to be cigarette free. I'm 37...mom's 57...sucks...

on the flip side when she was in the hospital she was showing me these tests that you blow into this or inhale through that. I pegged the floaty ball dingus in all of the doodads, but still...I gotta stop.

if they made a shot to quit, I'd be there first thing in the morning....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

It's harder for some folks than others. I smoked my last pack of Camels 25 some odd years ago. After smoking 10 or so joints a day for maybe 25 years I quit about ten years ago. That seemed harder than tobacco. My father smoked Pall Malls for decades, he quit about 35-40 years ago. He went to the Dr. a year and a half ago at age 81 with a bad cough. He was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and was dead in 6 weeks. Quit now, I never looked back, it still may catch up to you years later but quit anyway. Now if I can only tackle my beer drinking.......
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I have to quit ASAP. my mother just got diagnosed with lung cancer. I have slowed way the hell down, but it still isn't quitting....I hope by Christmas to be cigarette free. I'm 37...mom's 57...sucks...

on the flip side when she was in the hospital she was showing me these tests that you blow into this or inhale through that. I pegged the floaty ball dingus in all of the doodads, but still...I gotta stop.

if they made a shot to quit, I'd be there first thing in the morning....

Do your self a favor and quit by today Exclamation screw waiting till next month. I was lucky to quit cold turkey over 20 years ago. My wife just gave up 2 years of being smoke free last week. She has tried everything, cant get over the hump and it is hard to watch. even having dark spots on her lungs and going thru biopsies doesn't concern her.
cancer runs rampant in my family, Mom gone in 81 sister in 52 at age 11, 2 brothers this year.
To all trying to quit, get a support group and I'll offer to be a part of it. Just PM me.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I am so glad I do not participate in that activity any longer. I don't smell. One thing I did notice when I quit was my waist line grew some and the wallet got fatter.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

My dad died in 1991 from emphysema from smoking; like many in WW2, he smoked, plain Camels, like 5 packs a day. Really.

My mom passed away at 85 two weeks ago from complications from lung cancer, likely got it from my dad's secondhand smoke. My mom hadn't smoked in like 60 years.

Yes, smoking was real common, especially back then, watch films from the 1930s and 1940s. But it's a terrible and painful way to die, and unbelievable expensive these days as well.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

smoking runs deep in my family, both grandfathers dead from smoking related heart disease, one grandmother dead from lung cancer. My uncle had a stroke at 54 lived the next 25 years unable to speak or walk or wipe his own ass, he was youngest resident of the nursing home. when you start looking at it that way it becomes personal, I was able to quit 17 years ago after a trip to the ER with chest pains. who knows you may beat the odds
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

... started smoking when my dad said it was okay... 1963, I was 15... quit cold turkey in 4/1982... best move of my life.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

We lost a colleague here right at work a couple weeks ago due to a massive stroke. The guy was younger than me--and I ain't that old. I figure if lung cancer does me in it's from breathing the lovely LA basin air back in the '60's and '70's. I don't miss that crap at all.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Well it seems Gurn has not posted anything here in two years, maybe the cigs killed him. Right now a good friend of mine is in the hospital. He's had bladder cancer which was smoking related, he is diabetic, just had double bypass surgery and his kidneys have shut down. He begins dialysis today for the rest of whatever life he has. All of this is smoking related as the doctors have told him. He can no longer smoke now and is miserable. If ever there was a poster boy for what gigs can do for you he is it. We don't know how long he will linger on but quality of life has gone away. Personally I don't see many people smoking any more, those that can have already quit.

Update:: A week ago yesterday he took a fall backwards down an outdoor stairway, got cut up but while in the hospital had seizures. Life flighted back to the big hospital where he had another stroke. He has been non responsive and occasionally combative but yesterday he became semi conscious. He is being kept on a breathing tube while family is trying to figure out what to do next. I saw him yesterday and its very painful to see someone you know in this condition. The breathing tube comes out tomorrow, meantime I'm getting my suit pressed so I can be ready for what's coming next. Watching this happen in real time really sucks.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

He died Friday night around 530 pm surrounded by family. My friend is gone.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
He died Friday night around 530 pm surrounded by family. My friend is gone.

sorry to hear this, man.
good feels to you and your friend and his family.
i went through something very similar last year with a 20+ year friend of mine.
and that was just one of the four deaths i've experienced in the past 12 months.

quitting smoking....haha
yeah, no.
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraginInk wrote:
9 days after 35+ years of being a slave to the little nasty fuckers.
I was going to quit this time and that time but never wanted to for real, even when the baby was born. Now it's for myself and it's surprisingly a lot easier then I had anticipated. it's NOT easy but I haven't killed anybody yet.

I just ran out of smokes one afternoon at work and said fuck it... haven't had one since.

Still counting!
8 years and 9 days so far.

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraginInk wrote:
DraginInk wrote:
9 days after 35+ years of being a slave to the little nasty fuckers.
I was going to quit this time and that time but never wanted to for real, even when the baby was born. Now it's for myself and it's surprisingly a lot easier then I had anticipated. it's NOT easy but I haven't killed anybody yet.

I just ran out of smokes one afternoon at work and said fuck it... haven't had one since.

Still counting!
8 years and 9 days so far.

thats awesome. I'm 1 yr 1 month 6 days. I wanted one yesterday for a minute or two. Then I snapped back to my senses and said fuck that!
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I still get that urge every now and again. I'll admit I've come close to caving more than a couple of times. At this point I just tell myself I've got to much time invested now!

Keep fucking that!

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

DraginInk wrote:
At this point I just tell myself I've got to much time invested now!

yes sir, that is exactly it
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

It's been 3 weeks, 3 days since I quit. I got one of those box mod vaporizers, it helped tremendously. I had cravings the first couple days, but now I don't even think about it. Hopefully I can ween myself off vaping, but for now I'm loving my sour patch kids vape.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

13 years clean this week.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

tripicana wrote:
It's been 3 weeks, 3 days since I quit. I got one of those box mod vaporizers, it helped tremendously. I had cravings the first couple days, but now I don't even think about it. Hopefully I can ween myself off vaping, but for now I'm loving my sour patch kids vape.

yeah, to help ween me off I went with the disposable cheap e-cig. I didn't want an expensive vape thing, I wanted something cheap that I could toss after a couple weeks. Worked for me.

I also used a cigarette quiting app that kept track of the days and $$$$ saved

Keep it up. It's worth it

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

"Buy yourself something lovely with the money you've saved"

What'cha gettin'?

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I went out west to visit my great uncle and aunt at their retirement vineyard in central CA. After 6 decades of smoking they were in poor shape. As a smoker I always ignored their decline but this trip was different. I ran out of smokes on day three and started using their's. I stayed up late one night after working hard out in the fields and was just looking at the smoldering cig that was their brand, in their home, at their table, their wine, their cough... damn that cough. I couldn't get it out of my head. Then I started thinking about my goof ball grandmother that would send me cutout newspaper articles about throat cancer and shit because she wanted me to quit and I said fuck it I am done. I put it out and passed out and woke up the next day and said OH hell what did I do...

I called my then girlfriend-now-wife and said I quit but I needed her to to do the same and why. She (reluctantly) agreed and I spent the rest of the week at the mountain tipsy on vino gratis and covered in dust and "homemade" pesticide while I helped the family at their daily chores. I managed to forgo the tobacco use and made it home and continued the trend (well, we both did thankfully) even now. That was a while ago I guess. I see it is already 2017. Doing the math from when I was born to now is getting harder.

I miss it yes, I think about it now and then but there is a good chance I will now see grandkids if and when they come as well as likely having a normal aging process instead of one tied to a machine or one without a voice box.

After all we know now there is really no reason to keep up the old flame. Aside from not supporting big tobacco industry anymore I can competitively run races and keep up with my teenage boys.

I took up walking then jogging instead of the traditional smoke break at work. Give it a shot if you are trying to replace a bad habit with a better one. Message me if you want tips or support. Good luck! It is worth it. And don't try to replace them with vape sticks please...

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 24

Jump to: