Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting smoking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

BG Brian wrote:
Today I'm glad to say its been one year without smoking. I guess I was finally ready cuz it's actually been easier this time.

That's great! Just over a year now for me too. Keep it up!!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
10 days, smoked over 20 years I’m feeling good. Very Happy

It's been 101 days still going strong. I should of quit years ago before i ran into problems.

1 year in the books Very Happy Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

9 years free here, after smoking for 27. effing best thing i ever did for myself and family! you guys are all awesome for quitting. and if you slip up, quit again! youll be twice as glad you did.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

It's been 101 days still going strong. I should of quit years ago before i ran into problems.

Nice work!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

Nice work!

NICE!

just about 3y 5m and $11K saved Smile
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Take that money you’d have spent on smokes and buy vw parts😀
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

That's the best way to look at it. Should make it easier to quit too!!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

some things that helped me thinking about quitting:

imagine putting something in your air cleaner that restricts the flow of air to your carbs...now imagine putting a spoonful of kerosene in your gas tank every few hours...give yourself what you need! you wouldnt blow smoke in a babys face ,so why should you inhale it !?

you spend money to stand around and smell like human feces. for real. ask any former smoker and they will tell you that you CANT smell it ,since the smokes kill your sense of smell. the first thing i got back was the ability to smell again. then i realized that i had smelled pretty bad the whole time i smoked, of course i was totally unaware. there is nothing you can do to get rid of that smell while you still smoke, you can wash your hands all you want, take a shower it makes no difference. you think you 'like' the smell ,you dont.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I’ve heard smell described as like a sack full of assholes. I quit back in 1999 or 2000 so it’s been awhile, I don’t miss it. Took a trip to ER w/ chest pains to convince me. Very Happy
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Did better than buying VW parts, the money I saved I used to pay for half of our family vacation to Maui.(almost half) It was my one year anniversary of having heart bypass surgery. Hence the one year anniversary of being smoke free Wink
Picked up a cool shirt in Lahaina.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

To all of you who have quit, are quitting this horrible addition...

Well done.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Currently on the road to quitting. I'm 26, started smoking when I was 18 and promised myself I'd quit before I hit the 10 year mark. Figured, why the hell not right now? It's been a few months, I've fallen on & off the wagon several times, but it's starting to stick now. And cigarettes are nearly $8/pack here, at least the ones I smoked are...

I just remember what my grandfather, a former smoker of 40 years told me. "I woke up one mornin' just a coughin' and a'carryin on and looked myself in the mirror and thought: what a damn fool I'd been." (Imagine the most gravelly, country-sounding old man voice you can when you read this, the effect is much better).

Now, to get my bf to quit smoking. Living with a smoker has by far been the hardest part of this process.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

My dad smoked like 5 packs of unfiltered Camels a day. But he quit smoking, the day he died at 66.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
Currently on the road to quitting. I'm 26, started smoking when I was 18 and promised myself I'd quit before I hit the 10 year mark. Figured, why the hell not right now? It's been a few months, I've fallen on & off the wagon several times, but it's starting to stick now. And cigarettes are nearly $8/pack here, at least the ones I smoked are...

I just remember what my grandfather, a former smoker of 40 years told me. "I woke up one mornin' just a coughin' and a'carryin on and looked myself in the mirror and thought: what a damn fool I'd been." (Imagine the most gravelly, country-sounding old man voice you can when you read this, the effect is much better).

Now, to get my bf to quit smoking. Living with a smoker has by far been the hardest part of this process.

this. because there is always a pack laying around the house, in a car, on his/her possession. Now that I've quit for over 3 years I know I cannot date someone that smokes. I do not allow cigarettes at my house or near my pool, you have to go out to the street with that, sorry not sorry LOL

seriously, you can do it. Keep at it
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:

For myself, the more time that passes the easier it is. It's been a year and eight months since I stopped. Oh, and the extra money for Vw parts is cool too. I still get the craving every once in a while, usually when someone else is smoking around me. Having someone around who smokes regularly would make it more difficult imo. I smoked a pack a day for 24 years. Feels so good to be a non-smoker now.

Good luck, you can do it! Cool
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Just over three years now, not one single cigarette. The money saved has paid for a new 1915cc for my Westy, top notch metal work to repair the cut fender wells, plus a new set of General Grabbers and some money left over. Very Happy
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

nice job oakman!

I just logged into my smoke free app... 4Y 10M and $15K saved (and more actually, see below)

My method was to attempt to smoke less, put off the first one of the day later and later. Then I did the disposable e-cig thing, and I would still go outside with friends to smoke, except I would use the e-cig. as time went on, I used the e-cig less and less. I wanted to be outside smoking with them less and less. Finally Feb 1st almost 5 years ago I stopped using the e-cigs all together.

I find that I have saved a lot more than just the cigarette money. When I was in the mini-mart buying gross cigs, I was also buying lotto tickets, or a tasty peach tea snapple. Maybe a granola bar, a lighter, a whatever. I am almost never inside a mini mart type store now, so I save on all that crap I don't need too!

Congrats to everyone that's quit smoking! And good luck to those struggling. You can do it, you just have to do it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

About two years ago my brother-in-law died from smoking related illness, he was 67 and had smoked since about 15. It didn’t happen fast, he suffered with COPD for years then had a series of strokes. The last 3 years of his life was a living hell. I know if you are reading this it’s hard to imagine especially if you are in the prime of life 20s, 30s. He thought that way too.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

For those not there yet, it's a great club to be in, "quitters". Please look into it, we are all here to have your back when things get tough and you want one. I quit hundreds of times, I threw out entire packs daily. I would buy a pack smoke 3 or 4, get pissed, crush and into a trash can but to buy another pack. Rarely did I ever bum a smoke and when I did I knew that wasn't right so I would buy another pack.

I may have mentioned I used the water method and it is the cheapest best method because it purges the nicotine out of you so you can reduce the desire in your blood. I used every product, patch, gum, mint meds everything but the cheapest method worked, water, bottled or tap. Chug the first bottle when the urge occurs, if you didn't shake it chug another and another till you are sick of all that water.

I haven't looked at the saved money that is encouraging. I often thought if a pack cost $50.00 or even $100. I would never smoke again. Good luck everyone it's a great club to be in, and I hope to stay in it.

oakman wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Just over three years now, not one single cigarette. The money saved has paid for a new 1915cc for my Westy, top notch metal work to repair the cut fender wells, plus a new set of General Grabbers and some money left over. Very Happy

Erik G wrote:
nice job oakman!

I just logged into my smoke free app... 4Y 10M and $15K saved (and more actually, see below)

My method was to attempt to smoke less, put off the first one of the day later and later. Then I did the disposable e-cig thing, and I would still go outside with friends to smoke, except I would use the e-cig. as time went on, I used the e-cig less and less. I wanted to be outside smoking with them less and less. Finally Feb 1st almost 5 years ago I stopped using the e-cigs all together.

I find that I have saved a lot more than just the cigarette money. When I was in the mini-mart buying gross cigs, I was also buying lotto tickets, or a tasty peach tea snapple. Maybe a granola bar, a lighter, a whatever. I am almost never inside a mini mart type store now, so I save on all that crap I don't need too!

Congrats to everyone that's quit smoking! And good luck to those struggling. You can do it, you just have to do it.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: