Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cvs and motor mounts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Cvs and motor mounts Reply with quote

While I realize the answers to these querries may be subjective.......

How long could I expect motor mounts and CV joints to last?

CV joints (complete rear drive axles) were installed 40k kms ago. Appears something in the R side is going. Knocking noise on right hand corners.

Have been told the motor mounts are weak. I get a bang/clunk when I initially turn the motor over. Something hitting either the engine carrier or the HD trailer hitch. Made that noise when I bought it.

2.4 was installed at 265k kms and upgraded to 2.5 at 270k. Van now has
327k. PO had all this done, I've had it 6 months.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the motor mounts are weak. You now have a bunch more torque on your new motor, a bit more strain, not huge. The mounts are really cheap and it is not a big deal to replace them. The CV's can go, depends if they where replaced or are original. Get the Lobro ones, the ones from China are not worth the labor putting them on. Put new boots on while your in there.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_632_339/cv_joint___fits_all_rear_and_syncro_inner.html
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely not the issue, but are you sure the exhaust isn't hitting the body?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Cvs and motor mounts Reply with quote

Weak was the word the the service desk at my indepedent shop used to describe the current motor mounts. Have an estimate and you are right it isn't expensive.

I'll take a closer look at the potential contact points for this start up noise. I remember what the PO said and the shop used those contact points as possibles. Hmm, hitting the body?
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is about an hour job with a floor jack being the complex tool in the mix. The mounts them selves are under $10 each:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_702/engine_mounts.html
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: