Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust belt storage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Rust belt storage Reply with quote

So this year I'll be storing my camper outside in my yard. No indoor spot for me this year. What do the folks in the snow zone do if it's going outside for the winter? My plan is to park the van on 2 tarps. One will be ground cover and the other will be wrapping the van from below. and I'm going to throw one over the top so the van will be completely wrap up like a present to be opened in the spring. Will this eliminate any mostuire issues? as far as critters go that's what the steel wool and fabric sheets are for.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought....how about putting a few plastic containers around the interior with "DampRid" sprinkled inside them? Soaks up moisture from the insides of closets and gun safes etc...
I get boxes of replacement DampRid from the big orange box store.
Put one in each of the closets and each of the storage areas. Once or twice a month just throw the stuff away and replenish the plastic containers with a new supply of DampRid.
Simple but effective way to remove moisture from an enclosed area.
Doesent cost much money either Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely some moisture will find it way in no matter what you do. Wrapping it will probably make it worse. I try and just open mine up if and when I get a suitable day to do some drying.

A car port or car canopy is probably the best you can do.
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you all think about car covers? I actually cannot fit my westy into my old 1940s era garage. I was considering a car cover, but was thinking it would simply become a moisture/ mold magnet given the rain we have in the Pacific NW. Is there a problem with leaving it outside all winter, or should I find some way to cover it?

rg
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not as good as keeping your van outside is not that bad. It's 1,000 times better than running it through our salt encrusted roads we have here in NY. I stored many vehicles over the years with and without covers. My results were mixed. With a cotton car cover dirt still manages to get under (through it?). The wind whips it around and water still gets by it. Probably the most important thing a cover does is protect the finish from the sun. Over the winter, how much sun do we have? I'd just let it sit by itself. Probably the most import thing to do is make sure all food is out and put traps/poison around, under and even in the van to make sure no unwanted residents move in.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a little experience with this...
I stored my old ('83.5) camper outside through a couple of Chicago winters.

If you have a yard, definitely get a tarp and/or some tyvek to put under the van. Sitting on top of any organic (grass, dirt, wooden barn floor, etc) surface will allow moisture to come up and affect the vehicle.

I would definitely recommend getting a car canopy. This should keep almost all the snow and sun away from the van.

Car covers can vary in quality, and can sometimes trap moisture and ruin paint jobs and accelerate corrosion. Not to say that there aren't some good covers out there, but not many can stand up to spring time constant melting snow.

Also, the suggestion for a damp-rid type product is a really good one. Go to any Camping World or RV store and you'll see these products that come in containers with moisture collecting material in the top, then a filter of sorts, and then the water drips into the bottom of the container. You can empty the water and then re-use it until the moisture collecting material is all used up. Just stick one on top of one of the cabinets, and this will ensure the interior stays dry and mold/mildew free.
gaff rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Maine, I've had my share of boat/vehicle winter storage challenges.

I concur with covering the ground with a waterproof tarp if it's sloped to shed any standing water, but I don't think I'd wrap the beloved van in plastic. Temperature differences across the membrane can quickly form condensation on the inside leaving your van's skin nearly constantly wet.

I think a stormproof canopy would not only be adequate but allow you lust over the beautiful lines of the vehicle!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your bus a thorough wash and then a good coat of quality wax. This will help the paint repel a lot of winter's nastiness. I don't like covers because I've seen them do as much harm as good.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in WI when I first got my van one word...WAXOYL!!! You can get it from Terry Kay. It works. Good luck!
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good quality cover can help protect the finish of the van, as well as rubber seals. interior, etc. I use an Evolution 3 fabric cover when I'm not going to be using the Westy for a few weeks.

At the same time, I'm not sure how much protection from rust they would provide. A breathable fabric cover allows some moisture through, and, being breathable, allows it back out.

A plastic cover, or maybe even Tyvek, that doesn't breathe would be worse than no cover as far as I'm concerned.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a car or boat storage canopy to stop the water and ice from getting under seals and into the seams.

I hate the salt.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not rent a space in those storage places?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it's worth renting some indoor storage. My van, unfortunately, sat outside and unprotected throughout a pretty harsh winter. While nothing bad actually happened to the van, I'd opt for the protection and piece of mind knowing the van is dry and out of the elements.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder as to what we have to look forward to. This was last year.
This did in fact noticeably increase seam rust. I don't have an interior storage option, but that would be my first choice if I could. One of the vehicles near me had a Tempo shelter, but it collapsed under the weight of the snow and did a bit of damage to the stored vehicle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nohabusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.carcapsule.com

A bit pricey for the outdoor one, but it would work. I use the indoor model for my 67 21 window in an unheated non-insulated garage.
1990 Doka Syncro (WBX 2.1)
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
One of the vehicles near me had a Tempo shelter, but it collapsed under the weight of the snow and did a bit of damage to the stored vehicle.

Dang. I hadn't really considered the weight of the snow. That would suck.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, here where we often get nightly snowfalls measured in feet..
you have to go out and knock the snow off and clear back the overflow from the sides periodically.

my biggest trouble with a temp garage was wind and lifting.. and you can't just strap it down to the bumpers.. you have to cross tie the straps to not allow any movement in any direction as it'll kite if it has the option..

and don't buy cheap tent garages.. under a heavy sustained wind I've had the legs buckle from the force of wind pushing down on the fabric.

yeah I've about had my fill of tent storage.... as I move and resecure mine for another season of windy, snowy hell.

the curved roof one has held up better then the pointed roof one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for a canopy. Tarps resting on the finish can ruin the paint from trapped moisture and any slight flapping could wear the finish. My van stays out through the Oregon rain without any ill affect. The moisture absorbing product inside the van should be a must as well.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want cheap moisture control there is an alternative. Cut strips of drywall to fit in a bin. after you cut the strips, put them in the oven at 300° or so for several hours. This drives the moisture out of the drywall making it a good moisture magnet. You can re-heat it as many times as you want to activate it again. You can do the same with silica gel to re-activate it. You just need to put it in a container with airspace around it to allow the air to circulate, but keep the mess out of your space.

Car covers do vary in their effect on paint. Some kind of cover is better than none. I would be hesitant on a canopy as well, even here in AZ we get enough snow to collapse them, heck Libby's gazebo died last year from snow and it was made of wood. As for critters, most things that repel them, stinks, so you car will stink afterwards. Maybe you can shrink wrap it with pallet wrap (!).
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update. I sprung for a rental stoprage space 10'x20' for $90 a month with rent 3 months get the 4th free. Not a bad deal hopfully I'll have a garage built by next winter. This is the plan anyway. Lets hope for a mild winter so I won't need a 5 month. Fat chance on that though. Thanks for the suggestions every one.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: