Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ways to theft proof your Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Ways to theft proof your Westy Reply with quote

Whats your ideas??
Bubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous owner installed, for whatever reason, an inconspicuous starter button. When you turn the key, it just does nothing. Not that great of theft deterrent, but it would discourage some!
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an alarm and keyless entry system at the same time. But really cheap theft deterrent is to remove the relay that powers up the fuel pump when it is left in the vulnerable site. Or, as the Sicilians would do, take the steering wheel with you.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alarm and keyless entry system plus club that can be seen from the outside.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly concerned with basic vandalism or theft of contents. For me it's an alarm that is wired to the doors. It also has a sensor for glass breaking.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try leaving your dog in the van. Our Lab is the friendliest dog in the world until you stick your head or arm in an open window.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often just leave my dog in the van...she loves it. Sometimes even over night.

Speaking of B and E's , last weekend I decided i was too inebriated to drive the westy home after a night of clubbing, so I decided to sleep in the van in a rough area of downtown east vancouver, BC. Well, at about 4am I get woken out of my comatose drunken sleep, and notice the van wobbling back and forth, then I hear a guy walking around the van and kind of banging all the windows. I guess he was checking for an alarm. Just as he was about to jack the lock on the passenger door, I opened up the side curtain, slid open the sliding window, and sprayed the snot out of him with my bear spray. Luckily, I do not have a screen in that window! He squeeled like a pig ran about five steps and fell to his knees. a few minutes later he got up and walked away, hopefully in alot of pain. This guy was decked in in ALL BLACK, head to toes, with the big puffy jacket thing going on. Realizing that he may be back, likely with his B and E posse, I relocated to another part of town.

I have had my westy broken into twice....and they have always gotten in through the passenger door lock. I really need to get an alarm!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
sprayed the snot out of him with my bear spray.

Whats bear spray?
Like anti-bear spray?

I always leave it unlocked and just don't leave anything inside that's worth stealing.
I had the stereo stolen out of my car before and they broke the window, I don't want to have to fix a window.
When I was younger I lived in the rust belt, I always tried to make the cars I had run well, but I never gave much attention to the outside cause of the rust.
I always liked music so I always tried to have a good stereo even if the cars were a bit crappy.
I never had anyone steal anything out of my beater cars, I guess nobody even bothered to look inside, that happened as I got older and could afford the nicer looking cars.
So maybe if you have to park on the street keep it a little shabby looking.
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alarm may work,but who pays attention to them in the city anymore? not me. most of the meth heads around here are just looking to snag a cd deck,tools or whatever else you got in there. I like the idea of removing the steering wheel. I heard there is a way to "electrify" your car. anyone know about this? someone touches your car they get zapped! could work,could be a lawsuit waiting to happen. or it pisses them off and they throw a brick through the windshield. I keep my gate closed at night and 3 dogs roaming around does the trick for me at home.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:

Speaking of B and E's , last weekend I decided i was too inebriated to drive the westy home after a night of clubbing, so I decided to sleep in the van in a rough area of downtown east vancouver, BC. Well, at about 4am I get woken out of my comatose drunken sleep, and notice the van wobbling back and forth, then I hear a guy walking around the van and kind of banging all the windows. I guess he was checking for an alarm. Just as he was about to jack the lock on the passenger door, I opened up the side curtain, slid open the sliding window, and sprayed the snot out of him with my bear spray.

Yah some parts of Vancouver east side are dicey.

I just keep my Westy looking, uh, like non desirable. Crappy looking steel wheels, patchy paint. (well that's my excuse anyway) The windows are also tinted, but I'm sure with a flash light one could find things.

But then I don't park around the dicey parts of Vancouver east side. Wink heh heh.

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

Whats bear spray?
Like anti-bear spray?

I

Bear spray is like super duper pepper spray that shoots like 40 or 50 feet. Can't imagine what that felt like to that dude breaking in. I have a canister of it hanging on my backpack. Had to reach for it once hiking the AT through North Carolina. Luckily the bear saw me, decided I looked less than appetizing, and she went the other way. Very Happy

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
mightyart wrote:

Whats bear spray?
Like anti-bear spray?

I

Bear spray is like super duper pepper spray that shoots like 40 or 50 feet. Can't imagine what that felt like to that dude breaking in. I have a canister of it hanging on my backpack. Had to reach for it once hiking the AT through North Carolina. Luckily the bear saw me, decided I looked less than appetizing, and she went the other way. Very Happy

If that stuff is really capable of shooting 40-50 feet, just the high-pressure spray to the face at point-blank range should hurt any intruder pretty badly!
JiMz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly bears will come back to the site they got sprayed and LICK the grass and tree leaves with bear spray on them. Dont try it with Alaskan Griz. Just a FYI Carry a Freakin Gun
Big Gun
SockMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it painted to look like crap... Have what looks like bubbling paint and rust on body seems and peeling clear coat with faded paint... so even thought it has a nice paint job, it wouldn't look like it was worth braking into!
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had "Earl, the Lizard of Safety" in my cars for years.

It's amazing what a very visible and real looking rubber 3 foot long lizard tail will do.

I bought "Earl" at "The Junkman's Daughter's Brother" in Athens GA many years ago. One of the reasons I bought it was the date printed on his belly, 1957. He's one old rubber lizard.

Parked in Atlanta or Charlotte, I never had my Porsche 911, later 912, and today, Westy, bothered. It's especially helpful to have a paper or something covering the body of the rubber lizard to just leave that long tail hanging in the breeze.

So far, no break ins. Photo soon.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small hijacking........

JiMz wrote:
Grizzly bears will come back to the site they got sprayed and LICK the grass and tree leaves with bear spray on them. Dont try it with Alaskan Griz. Just a FYI Carry a Freakin Gun
Big Gun

LOL! Yea, the grizzlies in Alaska can be stubborn mofo's, brown bears less so. Bear spray is more like a seasoning to the AK Griz. Don't carry a gun, carry a hand cannon! I lived in the Alaskan bush for 4 years, working as a fishing/bearviewing guide and have seen some encounters that probably made the guys load there pants. The bear spray does well as long as you are upwind of the brown, black bear or possible van thief. If at all possible, NEVER EVER shoot it up wind! Don't ask me how I know this. Embarassed

Also heard about some Japanese tourist that didn't read the instructions on their bear spray. They thought it worked like mosquito repellent. They all lined up, while another spayed them down. They were hurtin' big time. Law suit followed!

And now back to your regularly scheduled program........

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my renewable, biodegradable, hi-zoot radio delete kit that came with my Westy. It's a cup holder the previous owner made. Smile The banged-up speakers are still in the door. Check out the leather straps hanging from my vent wings - that's my A/C kit. Add some pre-stained underwear strewn conspicuously throughout the interior and nobody will bother breaking into it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google DEWALT MOBILE TRACKER Very Happy Best thing I have found for my 181 and Westy and they can be moved from one to the other! We use them at work to keep the METH Heads from stealing spools of copper wires! It is funnier than hell to have them tracked by police with 911 0n the line....Yes, I am back with internet access...still have a premie and a 2 year old and 6 12 hour shifts upcoming but, the samba calls!

Here is my post from back when I first found thishttp://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=294604&highlight=

Last edited by carterzest on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are worried about theft an easy way to stop them is to wire up a relay for the fuel pump and make it so the fog light switch needs to be on to activate the relay. Who turns on the fog light switch before starting a vehicle they are trying to steal? Of course my Westy has no fog lights. Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: