Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum two piece cases
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

Hello-

I'm aware that the very early 25HP two piece cases were made out of aluminum. I'm also aware that they're stronger, heavier, and much more expensive than magnesium cases. I realize that the 36HP case isn't particularly strong. Is an aluminum case that much stronger than a mag' case?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also heared that the alu case is stronger but are there any prof ??

The early case have not so many strengthening fins as 36 case. Here is pics of the case halves so you can compare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has anything to say about this??
Is it just rumours that the aluminium is stronger???
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Case strength Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the inside pictures of the 36 alum. case. I have never seen the inside of an aluminum case before, they are very, very rare here. After studing the pictures carefully, I really don't think they are any stronger than the latest 36 HP case, the 57-60 style. Notice the very tall and long breather opening into the generator stand, it would be a oil throwing monster at high RPM. I think the gussets and heavy webbing around #1 main and thicker area metal at all through bolts + the smaller breather hole make this the best case for the money. I question the unattached top center main web to the top of the later cases. Your alum one is attached ??
I posted the question about 36HP case strength May 24,2006 in the 36 drag race thread page 6 and got no response so I came to my own conclusion.
I'm pounding these 36HP moters as hard as anybody and the cases have been OK so far

Bvilletom

1970 Porsche 914/6 – 2 liter LSR record holder
1992 Metro Sedan – 1 liter LSR records
1987 Chevy Turbo Sprint – under construction
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Alum Vs Mag Reply with quote

Well, I think that if the case was casted the same the alum would be stronger, But I do know that, the new Alum Cases that are built for the 1600 based engine are prone to Crack at the bell housing area at the top.

In the Off Road race cars you have to weld a gussit to prevent this, and the Mag cases do not have the problem.

Mag is a little forgiving ( mallable ) Maybe it has a little forgiveness?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art

I am surprised to find out the late style aftermarket aluminum cases crack at the bell housing. That was a huge problem with the factory magnesium cases also "back in the day" when they motor was built for power and we also would have a supporting gusset welded between the bosses to reduce that possibility.

The problem appeared to go away or at least minimize when the concept of deep studing the number 3 cylinder was introduced. Could either of these same procedures be applied to an aluminum 36hp case?

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Aluminum vs. Magnesium Reply with quote

Most, if not all Porsche Pre-A 2pc. engines before mid 1951 were aluminum. Reason: Aluminum is more dense/stronger and make for a better building foundation for a engine that is going to put in "heavy duty" service. Why do you think Porsche started using ALUMINUM blocks AFTER they went to their own 3pc. design post Oct. 1954? Granted, aluminum is more heavier but the "pros" of service/performance outweighed the gains of lightness and cost.

I have been collecting these 2pc. aluminum blocks now and have accumilated about 30 blocks now ONLY for the reason of using them as my foundation for my DENZEL engines.

Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Alum Vs Mag Reply with quote

Art Thraen wrote:
Well, I think that if the case was casted the same the alum would be stronger, But I do know that, the new Alum Cases that are built for the 1600 based engine are prone to Crack at the bell housing area at the top.

In the Off Road race cars you have to weld a gussit to prevent this, and the Mag cases do not have the problem.

Mag is a little forgiving ( mallable ) Maybe it has a little forgiveness?

This may also be due (or likely a combination of) to the added weight of the case adding to the total weight of the engine bouncing around at the back of the car without any additional support (like a +68 bus has).

The extra weight/force of the aluminum case being thrown around with the addition of the aluminum not 'giving' a bit like the aluminum is probably just enough to bring on the stress relief (cracking) from the off road racing.

For a street car that is not being 'jumped', I would assume aluminum being much stonger if they are cast the same (as Art says), but I don't know early engine cases and do not know if there are any differences other than material used. You could make a steel case weaker than a mag case if the mag was thick enough, and the steel was thin enough. Case design probably has as much to do with it as anything. Wink

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum as a material is stronger than Magnesium. Especially the alloys in use at that time. Magnesium is more ductile to a point but the aluminum case weighs twice as much so puts twice as much stress on the mounting flange. Aluminum is not twice as strong. it is about 33% stronger

But the reason for the use of the Aluminum was they only expected to make less than 500 of them. In 1950 they only made 300 of them so it was not worth the expense to do the R&D work to refine the injection mold necessary at that time to produce the Magnesium case.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i think i must have missed something.

is this topic about vw cases or really early 356 cases?

thanks.

henry the uneducated.

edit.

btw jimmy, if you get bored with your current case project do you want to make us externaly stock looking case that will take 356 or late t1 lifters, has bigger oil galleries, more ribbing etc etc? some affordable dp heads would be lovely as well, just if you're looking for something to fill in all that spare time you must have. Smile
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

Is the aluminum case VW or Porsche? Are there numbers etc. that can be used to identify one? Thanks!
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its earlyer 25 cases this is about.
Dont know the exact engine number but after 19 jan -51 the crankcase was made of elektron, number could bee something around 270 000?, its clearly when you see it they are more chiny than later cases.
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wanted an Aluminum case, what serial numbers would they have to look for ? Question
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would this be a aluminium case? the engine should be from a 1950 brezel bug.

2-066 488
OOC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unkl Ian wrote:
If someone wanted an Aluminum case, what serial numbers would they have to look for ? Question

The ones without numbers are the best Smile

here are a few pictures of one of our modified 25hp cases

billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with magnesium cases is that the flywheel main bearing saddle always gets pounded out requiring a line bore & oversize bearings, the aluminum is much more resistant to the crank bore getting pounded out from what I have seen of late type 4/914/bus motors they rarely require a line bore upon rebuild ( usually just burnt valve seats falling out ) I'm guessing the resistance to bearing saddle wear was why Empi used an ancient aluminum 25hp case for the original inch pincher?
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum is stronger than Magnesium,
also easier to weld.

I suspect the factory chose Magnesium to save weight,
and added a few internal ribs to improve stiffness.
hollandbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

Made in 18 1 1951
hollandbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

Aluminium case or not?
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

hollandbug wrote:
Aluminium case or not?

magnesium

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: