Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Pike wrote:
Update : engine was rebuilt 30k ago. PO stated he had drained the oil so thats why there was no oil in the case.
I'm going to build a 2.4 replacement Shocked oh my___I'm going wasser Shhh Applause

well no oil would certainly cause problems. duh!!! I know of some one that had a big oil leak and seized a motor. No oil, no go.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my name is Chazz79 and I'm a recovering wbx diy'er

It's been 9 months since I last undertook cracking open one of these evil works of the devil..... And....lord be with me I may never do it again.

All aa references aside. I lunched a self build in the same fashion using cip1 empi bolts. I did torque to spec, yet still spat the #4 through the top of the case. My rod bolt looked the same ( kinds like a dandy-lion "mamma had a baby and its head popped off"). The only thing I could save was the amc heads and external bolt ons. I got @3000 miles out of that engine. Sweetest damn wbx'er I have ever had the pleasure of driving. Oil pressure and temp was great, I was cruising 70 mph on the highway tick-boom was all the warning I got. Ran like a top for six months up to that point.

So my added advice-don't cheap out! Arp fasteners only! This is too vital an area to save money on.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Beware an external cause has been identified. Embryos in the off market oil filters. Xenomorph.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Captain Pike wrote:
Beware an external cause has been identified. Embryos in the off market oil filters. Xenomorph.

Ah, a thread resurection. This is actually why I don't buy into the TTY bolts just failing on their own.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Granted there is broken rod bolt, but that rod big end was overheating long before that fastener failed. Aside from lack of lubrication, detonation can cause rod bearings to deform on themselves squeegying the oil away from the journal to the point where the bearing spins and rod end overheats. Finally letting go. A cylinder using oil can actually increase the BTU and lead to detonation.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Engine was not oil starved. Bad bolt fail. Rebuilt but REUSED rods. However his was found under the rear bench seat
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Captain Pike wrote:

Woah! Nearly 15 years after the first post. Now that's stick-to-it-tiveness.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

I will politely agree to disagree. That big end of the connecting rod is cooked from lack of oil on that particular journal. I described above how that can happen and all the other journals appear fine. In fact as the bearing fails, it will plug the oil galley with bearing material and maintain the pressure to the rest of the engine. The above is typical of a spun rod bearing to the point that the rod failed and ejected the fastener as the rod failed spectacularly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: