Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: 2.1 failure Reply with quote

God awful ugly engine. looks like one I had before,given to me with a bunch of other Vanagon parts,when the engine was torn down there was nothing savable. All garbage.
It is my thought that rod bolt failures are generally from engines that have been rebuilt and not had the rod bolts changed. I have seen a ot of high mile 2.1's that have well over 200 K and they are very nice inside just bearing to the copper.
I bet if you chased the history on most of these engines with chucked rods,you'll find a rebuild somewhere down the line.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
Recently aquired 90 automatic.

Blown engine

Suspect rod bolt fatigue faliure. Went to drain the oil and found ___none. At all. The PO complained about some "whine/buzzing noise" from behind the dash. So after consulting his Bentley he bypassed the oil warning circuit to make it go away. Shocked While draining the coolant I find it is blue. Now I'm thinking no pitts to the heads (AMC). Wrong, the entire coolant system has evidence of corosion apperently caused by this blue "coolant"

Who has a 2.1 short block?

I got block, i need a van! a nice Carat like yours Smile
I have an STI project that should be ready in a month or so...
so 2 block for your van.. he he he.

If it had no more oil don't blame the rod...

I have 4 block with hole in it... i found a reason for all of them, all oil related (bore hole plug gone, oil pressure sender failure, oil cooler failure, oil filter failure.)

Blue coolant as nothing to do with that, coolant come in all colors from many company, believe me!

AMC head are not that better... they corrode like the VW one if not well sealed. I have seen my share of corroded AMC head. You know what, the more i think about it they are probably worse than the german one that lasted for more than 20 years. I still use them with German valve because i won't pay 700$ at the dealer for POORLY reman VW.

Well sealed with good valves they should be ok for 50-80k miles, no more. Sorry. At least i have better hope as to crack!

The Victor REINZ gasket or ELRING won't last forever.

If it's not the gasket, it will be a bore hole plug that will just get the hell out of your block and your engine will bleed to death.

Sorry but i have been there to many time.

I agree that a well maintain, well built Wasser boxer engine could last a long long time... but sadly, who will maintain and built them!

Van are sold over and over, one guy does a trip, as problem, sell the van... new owner fix minimum problems, a few trip, sell the van.... over and over.

It's a sad truth.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Please ignore this post... Embarassed

Last edited by OilNBolts on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

OilNBolts wrote:
Bill W wrote:

Engine was "rebuilt" by someone.

"We don't get excited when it crumbles and breaks, we just get on the phone, and call up some flakes"..

FZ

Who rush on over and break it some more and we're so dumb there lining up at our door____________well the water pump started leaking yesterday afternoon_____but the mechanic ate a bunch of mushrooms_______________ Wink
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:

Engine was "rebuilt" by someone.

"We don't get excited when it crumbles and breaks, we just get on the phone, and call up some flakes"..

FZ
ebennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I guess you picked up Art's bus, at least whats left of it
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: 2.1 rod bolt faliure autopsy photos Reply with quote

Blown engine

Suspect rod bolt fatigue faliure. Went to drain the oil and found ___none. At all. The PO complained about some "whine/buzzing noise" from behind the dash. So after consulting his Bentley he bypassed the oil warning circuit to make it go away. Shocked While draining the coolant I find it is blue. Now I'm thinking no pitts to the heads (AMC). Wrong, the entire coolant system has evidence of corosion apperently caused by this blue "coolant"

The exhaust system was some cat bypassed franken-pipe.

So no O2 sensor ___at all___nada__just a plug with a green wire next to it hanging in space.
Engine was "rebuilt" by someone. Heads replaced with AMC heads but not the valves.
Installer tanked the Green ring

Left crap in the engine

What is left of #2

More when I get inside.

Who has a 2.1 short block?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: