Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer Problems
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Odometer Problems Reply with quote

I have a 1985 Vanagon that when I reset the odometer then it clocks .9 miles (the main clock changes to) then is stops until I reset the odometer then it works until .9 miles then it stops again. I have printed an odometer fix for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Problems Reply with quote

I think the odometer fix was a good thing for a time but it seems a lot of people end up fixing again. My opinion is that this is one thing that GoWesty did a great job on with their GPS speedo replacement. It's reasonably priced, easy to install, accuate for actual speed/distance, and looks pretty much stock. Good thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Problems Reply with quote

Keith Kiernicki wrote:
I have a 1985 Vanagon that when I reset the odometer then it clocks .9 miles (the main clock changes to) then is stops until I reset the odometer then it works until .9 miles then it stops again. I have printed an odometer fix for it.

I’ve had this very thing happen, and always when the cluster is trying to advance to the next digit... sometimes at 0.9, or 9.9, even 19.9 and 29.9.

The plastic yellow gear can loosen slightly and back away from its position just enough to do this, or it’s cracked.

The gear, if good, needs to be pushed quite hard onto the shaft and will make an audible “snap” when it does. If that doesn’t do it, I’ve gone so far as to force on a “splined washer” (not sure the name but at most hardware stores) to keep the gear tight, but the best fix I did on our prior van was using both the washer and a “cap” of solder atop the washer.

— Colin Chapman
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Problems Reply with quote

E1 is right. The printed "keeper" won't fix the problem. Take it apart and clean the shafts. Put it back to gather with the end of the shaft where the "drive" gear is mounted with a vise grip knurl. Then VERY, VERY carefully apply some thin CA glue to that wheel. You will then be fine for another 100k miles. I've done this on every T3 I've owned and had no problem afterwards.

Duncan
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Problems Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Problems Reply with quote

You’re welcome Keith, please let us know how it’s going.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: