Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank assembly question?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frodin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Crank assembly question? Reply with quote

First off I'm kind of a newB here. I decided to try and tackle a lower end assembly. I'll save all the extra BS and get to the meat of my issue. I've put the main bearing on the crank, heated the "NEW" straight cut gear and put it on, spacer goes next, then the dist. drive gear and circlip. This is correct isn't it? I don't appear to have enough room for the circlip? it's about half the thickness off. Do these timing gears have different ticknesses to them? I aquired all this stuff from someone with a vehicle. Some is new and other stuff old. The only thing new on this end is the timing gear? Can someone clue me in a little before I take this to the lake? Thanks for taking you time to help me out!
manxracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: clip room Reply with quote

Make sure the timing mark is facing toward the snout of the crank. It looks like an "0" stamped into the gear. If this is not facing up it might not slide all the way down on the crank. Don't get the gears too hot like glowing red it will make them brittle.

Last edited by manxracer1 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frodin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, got the dots facing out.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me when I built the 1915. Take some sandpaper to the brass gear to get the needed clearance.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take a real close look at where the timing gear butts up against the step on the crank, next to the bearing, to make sure it got seated all the way up the crank? Some people keep a brass punch handy when installing the gears to tap on them once installed while still hot to make sure they've slid all the way up the crank. Do you have any way of measuring the timing gear to compair the width to a stock VW gear? I would bet the gears just didn't go on the crank all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frodin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was thinking that. I wanted to make sure there wasn't some other way of fixing this? Grinding, sanding, shims ??? I don't know? The only thing new is the timing gear, it should all fit unless it's to thick?
frodin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't move the bearing anymore? And there's no way of measuring the old gear becasue the guy I got this from must have gotten rid of it. I do have the old bearing however and it looks the same?
frodin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure i'm about 1/16 off? just looking at it?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can no longer move the bearing, there's something wrong. I would take the gears off, and take a closer look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: