Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best starter for Subaru converted Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:
I C 2 different part number for the manual version of the TDI starter
Bosch SR0408X and SR0409X

what is the differenence

I have seen that SR0407X is for automatics but KarlM adapter choice makes the manual version work with ONLY the manual version of the starter ..

408 and 409 seem to be the same as far as I can tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this post
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2373805&postcount=518
SR0409X is a 2KW with 10 teeth and CCW rotation
vs
the SR0408X 1.8KW 10 tooth CCW

hmm if that right i guess you want the SR0409X
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Thanks for the pics Ben! I've been wondering how well the adaptors are working on the SVX. Have you guys tested the automatic versions yet? :S

Where do you find starters for $20??? I'd like to have a couple if you can find a few that cheap!

Where do you find starters for $20???

Reminds me of the "great deal" on US$39.00 master cylinders>>>

<><><>My local supplier stocks ATF master cylinders (if I remember the brand name correctly). They cost less than $40.<><><><>

""Your local supplier, I believe quoted me a price of thirty nine dollars and change ($39.). When I received the part this morning the invoice showed a total amount of one hundred forty six dollars and cents ($146...)""

Please... Please.... Please............................. Razz

Original poster on the m/c thread who kindly tried to help, Smile THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU. Smile You assistance and info is greatly appreciated. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I guess there could a price for the amigos and one for the gringos like me.

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case my starter is coming as a freebie from my trusty TDI mechanic who takes care of my 2 TDIs.

Too bad I can not afford a TDI in our automatic Westy.......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me, the best starter for a subaru converted van is----------- a SUBARU starter! that would mean you would need a smallcar or RJES bellhousing though. which probably isnt an option (already converted). I've done conversions using VW starters, and im really diggin the bellhousing set up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BEWARE of WPS starter... I'm going to have to go BOSCH n Reply with quote

buffbuh wrote:

It made a horrendous clacking sound. I thought that the external gear had stripped, or worse my fly wheel??!! External gears were fine.

Taking the starter apart, it appears to be a flaw in design. Connecting internal gears do not fully engage, just the tip of them, and over a short period of time, it wears and rides on stripped end. (I should have taken a picture when I had it apart!) Plenty of gear for engagement, but it looked like by design, they could not engage fully.
BuffBuh

I wonder if you got a bad one or if you saw a real design flaw ..
the other thing i wonder if you MAYBE were getting low voltage =High Amps at the starter & MAYBE getting partial engagement & that triggered the wear

Kinda interesting now that I have tracked who makes the the WPS starters & found some more distributors in traditional auto channels & they are saying they have no issues with this particular starter ie the 2-1974-BO
http://search.waiglobal.com/partsearch/partnum.aspx?part=2-1974-BO
They do say that it is kinda like all products fron china there are good & bad in the wps line ..
2 distributors I spoke with gives this the thumbs up
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll letchya know when I have that problem, ken. 90GL /90 2.2. My starter has a remanufactured sticker on the side of it. how much is the sr----starter and your adapter?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Autozone Reply with quote

Autozone part # 17703 Duralast starter will serve as BOSCH SR0408X replacement - 104.99 dollars lifetime warranty.

Unfortunately, I thought I was just replacing a bad Vanagon starter - turns out my '97 2.2L Subie may have a serious problem. So I cannot yet give you judgement on the Autozone Duralast starter.

Buffbuh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Autozone Duralast starter review Reply with quote

The starter has worked fine since I got it. The Subibus is not my daily driver, but no issues with the starter, and it has a lifetime guarantee, so pretty good cheap option.

Buffbuh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
unloneliestonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter for Subaru converted Vanagon Reply with quote

Old thread but I'll contribute that with my 2.5 I swapped a junkyard 91' vanagon starter in place of the 1.9 original & it has made a world of difference with the hot engine starts. Only went with this option because the adapter plates were out of stock. Hopefully it holds up!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter for Subaru converted Vanagon Reply with quote

unloneliestonie wrote:
Only went with this option because the adapter plates were out of stock. Hopefully it holds up!

Back in stock as of today. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter for Subaru converted Vanagon Reply with quote

That Autozone starter I can comment on - the one I got was making a hideous noise. I took it in, and it tested bad, so they gave me a replacement (lifetime warranty! - that's the good!). I'm still hearing the same noise. Maybe it's not the starter.

But it starts every time, no problem.

I just put in a low mileage JDM 2.2L Subaru motor, so I'm in for another long haul with Vanagon adventure.

Westyventures, thanks for making that adapter plate available again!

buffbuh
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: