Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don's Bus Box Peoria, AZ - donson - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: donson
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Today
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Don's Bus Box Peoria, AZ - donson - [email protected] Reply with quote

Moderator note:
This situation has been resolved. Resolution is here

------------------------------

I purchased a rebuilt 002 bus transaxle from Don's Bus Box. When the transaxle arrived the exterior looked really nice. I was having trouble getting the transaxle to shift into neutral so I pulled the nosecone off. Here is what I found inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Imagine my surprise as I paid over 700 dollars for a "rebuilt" transaxle that looks like this inside. After seeing this I think I was swindled. I am convinced that Don simply cleaned up the outside of a bus transaxle and sold it to me. Why would any rebuilder leave the inside of a transaxle looking like this?

To date I have left one phone message and two emails for Don. I have yet to hear from him. If you are looking for a good rebuilt transaxle I have to say that you should look elsewhere. From Don's shop this is what you'll get.
www.Dtsfab.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a member with the same exact problem He has gotten replys etc tho, check them out...

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=445.0

Our site is dedicated to Minibuggies, Vw powered and automotive powered off road fabrication...

Last edited by www.Dtsfab.com on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not rebuilt probably a stocker outta the junkyard
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill271 wrote:
That is not rebuilt probably a stocker outta the junkyard

I think you are right. It looks to me that he took a stock trans a cleaned up the outside. I still haven't received a reply from Don. I did file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Phoenix.
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.Dtsfab.com wrote:
We have a member with the same exact problem He has gotten replys etc tho, check them out...

,I am that member. I'll put up some pics on my site later of my experience. I'm no noob to this stuff. Don does NOT deserve his reputation. I spent several years running my own HP automotive shop and NEVER did anything leave in that kind of condition.Totally inexcusable IMO. Totally unprofessional. When you see something it reflects on ,at the very least, the perceived quality put into the rebuild.
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.Dtsfab.com wrote:

Some of Don's replies are classic. I wish I had known before purchasing from Don. I am a part time student in an automotive fab program at the local community college. I showed the pictures of Don's workmanship to one of my professors and he too concluded that I got shafted. If you look closely at the bearing it says Germany. He figures that the trans still has the original bearings. It is also likely that it has the original synchros as well.

I need to do a bit of research before I pull the rest of the trans apart. What specialized tools are needed? The school has specialized tools for GM and Toyota. From what I can gather there are a few specialty tools need. Foremost is a jig like the one shown at:

http://www.longenterprises.com/vw_transaxle_tools.htm

What other tools will be needed?
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the type of quality this "professional" is known for?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have recently purchased FAG bearings, they no longer say Germany on them. I can't speak to this particular bearing, however.

I did notice the bearing has a plastic cage so it can't be that old. I think the plastic cages are a recent development?

I agree the lack of cleanliness inside the nosecone is highly suspect.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
When I have recently purchased FAG bearings, they no longer say Germany on them. I can't speak to this particular bearing, however.

I did notice the bearing has a plastic cage so it can't be that old. I think the plastic cages are a recent development?

I agree the lack of cleanliness inside the nosecone is highly suspect and the responses in the thread linked above are laughable.
The replies would be laughable if they had not cost me 3200bux to get! Wink
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics speak for themselves.First 2 are of a properly cleaned front cover with most of the bellhousing machined off. Second 2 pics are of the interior as received.Not very confidence inspiring IMO. I'm sorry but I don't know how to post pics here so if you're interested you can use this link.

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=445.new;topicseen#new
fergus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Don really needs to jump in and take care of this. For what it's worth he recently rebuilt the split case tranny for my 59 bus and I've been very happy with it. Don are you out there?

http://www.arizonabusclub.com

An Arizona-based, family-oriented club, dedicated to the restoration, preservation, and enjoyment of the Volkswagen Transporter. Plus we drink a lot of beer.

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Wood U Hit It? (Possibly NSFW)" at TheSamba.com.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please bear in mind that mine was a 3200$$$$$ trans. So what ,in your opinion ,should donsbusbox do to" jump in and take care of it"?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonenomad wrote:
If you look closely at the bearing it says Germany. He figures that the trans still has the original bearings.

EverettB wrote:

Although his workmanship is inexcusable, I can put this bearing point to rest. The bearing in the pic is indeed a new bearing. Notice how the letters FAG are etched in outline? Original 70s bearings weren't like that. New ones are. Plastic cages have been used in FAG bearings for over 30 years.
The guy could have used a China bearing. Not withstanding that, the first pic shows the guy is a hack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap i cant find the pics.....but i do know for 3000 id have a weddle main in it and a lotta good work.......granted a new weddle r/p will run you about 800 bucks but still......
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterfrabr wrote:
Please bear in mind that mine was a 3200$$$$$ trans. So what ,in your opinion ,should donsbusbox do to" jump in and take care of it"?
Common sense would dictate that he should offer a substantial refund as it's obvious this is not a rebuild/refurbished transmission.
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
masterfrabr wrote:
Common sense would dictate that he should offer a substantial refund as it's obvious this is not a rebuild/refurbished transmission.

My trans was a bit over 700 bucks. Not nearly as much as Masterfabr's. I too would like a partial refund. I have to spend time and money to get this trans together. I'm still a college student so I don't have alot of extra money to go around.
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the amount you paid. It's the FACT you did not receive the quality you had every right to expect from a company with ,or so I thought, a good reputation. There's just no excuse for this kind of crap. No wonder mechanics and rebuilders have such a "good" reputation when there are these types in the market.
donson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply from Don Reply with quote

No one from ID has left me a message or email about a problem with a trans. I have no idea who "gonenomad" since he didn't buy the trans under that name. I don't even know if this is a picture of one of my trans.

If I have a problem I correct it, IF I know about it. My correct phone number and email address are on my website OR send me a PM.

I don't provide customer service via this or any other forum. I expect my customers to be straight with me as I am with them. Your post that I have not responded to you is BS.

Don 602-670-0192 anytime
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone(me) from SE Kansas has for sure! I am being straight with you. I am also informing all I can of what to expect from you.
BugZyla.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I will keep using him. He has done a ton of transaxles for me and for customers that I have sent him, NEVER had a problem with any of them. And im sure if I did he would take care of it! Don stands behind his stuff so if he says its good to go, then I trust him. If the pics are from dons trans, contact him im sure he will make good.

I will stick with Dons Bus Box myself!

You just cant please all of the people all of the time.

http://www.bugzyla.com

"Why is there Braille on a Drive Thru ATM?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: