Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don's Bus Box Peoria, AZ - donson - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: donson
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: March 28, 2024
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizzaman49 wrote:

The bearing has a dingy brown color to the inside of the plastic bearing support. like it was run very hot and dry?

That is the normal colour of the cage. The bearing in that gearbox is NEW.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then use the permatex gray sensor safe silicone,clean the surfaces well with PVC pipe cleaner and assemble to 75% torque.Let set for a couple hours and do final torque.Never will that leak. Forget the gasketsIMO. Many gaskets have been done away with by the OEMs due to their unreliable performance.
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'd say the trans has new bearings.That bearing is at least IMO. I'd also say the not shifting on gonenomads trans was normal. It likely will shift fine when installed. It's amazing what a little leverage from a shifter will make it feel like.
www.Dtsfab.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found most any professional teacher will teach you buy the book, they will not teach or endorse tricks like the silicone. Just a matter of professionalism I believe. I to have used no gaskets and sealers many times on stuff without problems... Very Happy
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.Dtsfab.com wrote:
I have found most any professional teacher will teach you buy the book, they will not teach or endorse tricks like the silicone. Just a matter of professionalism I believe. I to have used no gaskets and sealers many times on stuff without problems... Very Happy
The only time I use gaskets really is when they are providing needed clearance also.

Last edited by masterfrabr on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across another topic just now and read the entire thing.It's almost dejavu. It amazes me how some people INSIST on helping vendors not do the honorable thing and treat their customers with respect and concern. If the vendors are not "brought into the light of day" in threads like this by people that have been wronged others will continue to receive less than good service/goods.If the vendors then react to"being outed" in less than professional ways they deserve to given the free publicity they seek. There will always be those that think we should just shut the eff up and let others find out the hard way also but to them I say-I HOPE YOU BUY SOME PRICEY SHIT AND NOT RECEIVE WHAT ANY NORMAL PERSON WOULD EXPECT. Please,report back to us about how happy you are about it.

A couple of years old and long but worth the read.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...mp;start=0
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonenomad,Don tells me you guys have reached an agreement.Is that the case? If so,it's only fair to Don to tell us about it.
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterfrabr wrote:
Gonenomad,Don tells me you guys have reached an agreement.Is that the case? If so,it's only fair to Don to tell us about it.

News to me. I just checked my inbox, spam box, and voicemail. Nothing from Don.

In fairness to Don I will post the outcome as I promised in an earlier post.
pizzaman49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what would be the remedy here? Have Don clean the nose cone better?
We still don't know that the trans didn't run like a new one?

If it has new bearings , then it's just down to a nose cone that needed to be cleaned better.

Thanks for the bearing picture, It really did look like it was burned . did'nt know they came like that new.

Don, send him a cleaner nose cone.

Correct???
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the inside of the nose cone looks like that, then the inside of the main case................
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pizzaman49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that the original nose cone to the trans?
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
If the inside of the nose cone looks like that, then the inside of the main case................
And the gears themselves.They could be pitted from rust. This is precisely what I'm talking about when I say seeing the inside of a case look like these you aren't instilled with a sense of confidence in what else was done(or not). The work may be flawless otherwise but ...........would you trust it? Not many would but there are always those that just don't give a shit and it would be fine with them.They are entitled to their opinion.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...

I'll remove mine as it didnt add anything to the discussion and I KNOW Ev wanted to trash it.. Smile Luv ya Ev! Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117

Last edited by 52HoffmanSplit on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Evertt is deleting posts supporting me Reply with quote

donson wrote:
What gives Evertt? I'm getting calls from supporters that are telling me that you are deleting posts supporting me. Let's make it public.

Since you are concerned that I am removing posts, I will not be removing anything unless it is extremely out of line or abusive. I leave it up to you to report such occurrences via the
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
button.

For reference, there 2-3 posts as of right now I would normally remove.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizzaman49 wrote:
So, what would be the remedy here? Have Don clean the nose cone better?
We still don't know that the trans didn't run like a new one?

If it has new bearings , then it's just down to a nose cone that needed to be cleaned better.

Thanks for the bearing picture, It really did look like it was burned . did'nt know they came like that new.

Don, send him a cleaner nose cone.

Correct???

I have no idea what Don has in mind. Why is he telling other folks that he's going to make things right; but, not telling me?

The consensus is that the bearing has been replaced.

I can clean the nose cone up. I have access to a solvent tank and am not afraid of getting my hands dirty. School next week will be mellow as many students will be gone. I'm going to try to clean everything up and have it ready by the end of next week.

Bruce wrote:

masterfrabr wrote:
And the gears themselves.They could be pitted from rust. This is precisely what I'm talking about when I say seeing the inside of a case look like these you aren't instilled with a sense of confidence in what else was done(or not). The work may be flawless otherwise but ...........would you trust it? Not many would but there are always those that just don't give a shit and it would be fine with them.They are entitled to their opinion.

That is exactly my concern. I am going to open up the trans to take a look at the insides. As I understand it I have to pull the drive flanges, and remove the differential. There's some kind of coupler that I remove to allow the gears to be slid out as a unit. I know that a trans jig is made; however, as I understand it it will not be needed unless I try to take apart all the gears.

pizzaman49 wrote:
Was that the original nose cone to the trans?

Yes it is the original nosecone.
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent Don a brief note.

pasted message below

Don,

I have heard from several sources that you intend to make things right. As I have not heard anything from you yet I wanted to write and make sure that we were not having any email issues again. I searched through my spam box and didn't see anything. However, I wanted to write and make sure.

Regards,
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I know I'm the only one that Don has told he has sent you a check. That was on Friday.If he has I would assume you would have it by Tues.or Wednesday at the latest if mailed Friday. It seems odd to me that he would not have conveyed that to YOU but he may just be mad enough to not want any other communication with you. Lets let it have time to arrive though before we jump to any conclusions .

Let me say this at this point I understand Dons position about how the rust in gonenomads trans likely will never cause a problem. That's not the point . The only point is that if that's in there then it is reasonable for a person to have fear of what else may be in there. I have been told by Don that he plans to make changes and offer thoroughly cleaned cases with the purchase of a soda blaster and also offer budget cases that will be as he has always provided to his customers. IF he has actually bought a soda blaster then I think he will find it will save him time and money on his rebuilds so he'll want to do all cases and make MANY customers happier. I own a bead blaster since soda was not an option at the time I started my automotive rebuild/HP engine shop 25 years ago and if I had it to do over a soda blaster would be my choice. Why? Because after a soda blast all you need do is a water rinse to remove any soda left trapped in nooks and crannies. Much safer than glass beads. I wish him continued success in what he does.
pizzaman49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if his prices will go up after this?

I heard those soda blasters are nice. Thats a good Idea.
gonenomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard from Don.

We have come to an agreement. Don is issuing a partial refund.

Quote:
I can see what happened in looking at my notes now. One says a rebuild and one says cheap so I made some bad assumptions. I can see that the unit did receive some new bearings as needed and new syncros. If you need help to make it work or any parts I can send those free of charge. Your call.

I think that this is an example of Don treating me fairly. I am now a satisfied customer.
masterfrabr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear.Fantastic. Let us know how it goes from here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: