Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

since i'm not driving right now while waiting for a friend to help with that pesky, cross threaded spark plug hole, i've been messing around with some interior stuff.

I've been trying to get my solar/aux system set up on a bit of a budget and here's what i've got right now

-3 sets of yakima bars and mounts ($100 Craigstlist)
-100w Renogy panel (got 2 for $100 on Craigslist, only running one panel)
-50ah Battelborn Lifepo4 (3 years old, from a friend, $200)
-Renogy Wanderer charge controller
-Blue Seas Systems ST Blade 6 circuit with ground fuse block
-Blue Sea Systems 100amp circuit breaker
-Blue Sea Systems Accessory Panel

I could have gotten cheapo USB ports and 12 v socket but went with the blue seas panel that i got on sale with hopes that it will outlast the cheapo ones... in the end it was only a few bucks more for 4 USB connections, a 12v socket, and on/off switch that are prewired on the panel.

what I'm considering now are mini LEDs and on/off switches to stagger in different places throughout the van. I'm wondering what suggestions y'all might have for brands/where to buy? I see 10 packs on Amazon for dirt cheap but I'm not sure I wanna go that super cheap route if they're gonna pop, fizzle, and bur out)

Also considering the renogy 700w pure sine wave inverter (pretty sure my 50ah battery can't handle a bigger inverter)

Thoughts and suggestions are really appreciated.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

What will you ise the inverter for? Most things can be powered with 12 vdc. An inverter seems like a bit of an extravagance in a budget system.

The 50ah battery is on the low side of capacity. What will you be running? Just led lights and battery chargers or will you power a fridge and furnace with it?

I've used this LED controller with the adhesive LED light strips in the van for years now.

Switch:
https://www.amazon.com/BZONE-12-24V-Single-Wireless-Controller/dp/B01LE8FMYK?th=1
Lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091L0GTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Housing:
https://www.amazon.com/Muzata-Aluminum-Channel-Cry...s9dHJ1ZQ==

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

I've had an $35 400w inverter packed away in a cubby for years.
8 9,10? years... can't remember.
Can't remember the last time I used it.

USB has covered all my needs for many years now.

You can get USB outlets that have USC-C and on/off buttons.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

I'm with Sodo on the inverter, I also carried a 400 watt unit around for years and never used. It's in a box on the shelf now, one less thing to take up space in the bus.

For the other, take a look at uniWerks Design stuff. Some great solutions.
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/vw-vanagon/gauge-pods/
Look through their catalog, lots of nifty stuff.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I've used this LED controller with the adhesive LED light strips in the van for years now.

Switch:
https://www.amazon.com/BZONE-12-24V-Single-Wireless-Controller/dp/B01LE8FMYK
Lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091L0GTY
Housing:
https://www.amazon.com/Muzata-Aluminum-Channel-Crystal-Mounting/dp/B07B2RD777
I've been using the same lights and housing for years. No controller, just rocker switches mounted in the 'spice rack'.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

oh man, y'all are coming thru with the suggestions. thank you! maybe i will hold off on an inverter for now. I'm mostly considering one due to living in earthquake and wildfire territory. That 6.4 in CA last week, the epicenter was 35 miles from our house. With a couple panels, i can keep one on the van and another on my garage, running wire thru the unused stove piping, transfer inverter where need in emergency situations.

regarding the lights and switches, i do appreciate uniwerks designs, but i think what i'm looking for are decent quality individual lights (as are in the upper bunk module) the same sorta switches, usb ports, and volt meters, not already placed in a panel. the plan is to install the individual components in panels i've made from pieces of old redwood. some will fit overhead in the unused vent holes, one in the ashtray, some in the door panels, etc...

keep the ideas coming and i'm really interested in decent brands to buy =)

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

I wired an inverter in my system and have yet to use it.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

I had thought 100w was enough until I put two 100w up top. I joined them lengthwise which still left room for a rocket box. There’s a seeet thread on here for cable routing if you dig through the 18000 solar threads.

I concur on not needing the inverter. I still have mine but it’s on a switch and it’s inside the cabinet above the little tiny one that you have to remove the bottom to get to so it’s not taking any useable space.

All my switches and fuses are behind the drivers seat on that face. It’s all pretty smooth. I also put usb and usb c plugs in several places. I do have the standard 110v hot coming off the inverter but it’s rarely used.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

I second/third/forth not needing the inverter. I considered it but my charging needs can be met with 12v and the power consumption is also lower.

I have 2 renogy 100 watt panels tied together with hinges that I transport in their box above the engine and have clips and struts to mount on my roof basket when parked, a little bit of work to get setup and tear down but I can use my full basket to carry items when driving. I ran solar cable from the charge controller I have mounted under the rear bench through the back of the cabinets and in to the battery box below the driver seat with about 10 extra feet and the connectors. When I park and setup I run the wires up trough the skylight and connect it to the panels on the roof. Works very good for me, but I use my van in mostly good weather.

I have the Renogy 50DCDC controller so it charges both my starter and house battery while driving. I have a 200ah LiPo battery under the rear bench, the charge controller, a ground lug, a blue sea 8 circuit fuse block, an inline breaker between the alternator and the charge controller and an inline breaker between the battery and fuse block. I have a 12v outlet wired off the fuse block to the engine compartment that I can drop down to power my dometic fridge/cooler when parked so it doesn't take up space in the van, also a 12v outlet on the top of the driver battery cover powered off the old fridge relay to power the fridge/cooler when driving off the alternator. I have added a few 12v usb/usb c plugs, a set where the ash tray was next to the rear bench and a set in the vent grill for the fridge which I have removed. I am rewiring those currently so there will be 2 sets in each location, one powered off the alternator and one powered off the house battery with switches to turn them off/on. I also plan on adding a few interior lights at some point, probably some small leds with switches.

I realized I dont have any pictures of my setup since I threw it together last minute before a trip last summer. I will get some up the next time I go to my storage unit to work on the van.

I have been using the Nilight switches from amazon. I really like the quality and the fact they are back lit, but can be wired to no be lit or lit only when powed.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/EAEC4907-2D80-4...f_=ast_bln

Edited to add-
Make sure to use appropriate sized wires, fuses, connectors, and grounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

Here's the best routing I found so I used this solution and it's perfect.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674725&highlight=solar

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

Doesn’t anyone bring a laptop? I thought you need AC power to charge them, and therefore an inverter. I’m planning a couple of appliances for cooking also, like an induction burner, so a big inverter (2000W) will be needed. A luxury for sure, but boy do they boil water fast!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

Well I guess I’ll go against the grain here and say we use our little 600 watt inverter. Every now and then for a weird misc use, but mainly just two purposes.

First we carry a 20v Dewalt chainsaw. We’ve sawed our way into some of our favorite early season areas and normally requires a couple of recharges along the way. Don’t forget it’s great for camp wood too. I know there’s a 12v Dewalt charger out there but haven’t looked into it. Seems like it could be a little slower to recharge.

The second use is I welded in a bung and threaded in a 500w, 120v hot water heater element into our Yakima road/solar shower. In our neck of the woods, the solar shower concept isn’t that good. We can increase the water temp by about 30 degrees in about 45mins. Typically plug it in on our way into camp.

Everyone has their own wants and needs, this is just ours.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
Well I guess I’ll go against the grain here and say we use our little 600 watt inverter. Every now and then for a weird misc use, but mainly just two purposes.

First we carry a 20v Dewalt chainsaw. We’ve sawed our way into some of our favorite early season areas and normally requires a couple of recharges along the way. Don’t forget it’s great for camp wood too. I know there’s a 12v Dewalt charger out there but haven’t looked into it. Seems like it could be a little slower to recharge.

The second use is I welded in a bung and threaded in a 500w, 120v hot water heater element into our Yakima road/solar shower. In our neck of the woods, the solar shower concept isn’t that good. We can increase the water temp by about 30 degrees in about 45mins. Typically plug it in on our way into camp.

Everyone has their own wants and needs, this is just ours.

I am with you on the little inverter we have a little one we use to charge our electric bike battery while driving. I like the 12volt heater idea!
Tim
87 westy
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
I'm with Sodo on the inverter, I also carried a 400 watt unit around for years and never used. It's in a box on the shelf now, one less thing to take up space in the bus.

For the other, take a look at uniWerks Design stuff. Some great solutions.
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/vw-vanagon/gauge-pods/
Look through their catalog, lots of nifty stuff.

Thank you for your support!! I really appreciate it.

I can and do make custom parts for people all of the time. Send me an email if you'd like to chat about how I can make your idea for a product a reality. Smile

Cheers
Chris
www.uniwerksdesign.com

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

bsrad wrote:
I know there’s a 12v Dewalt charger out there but haven’t looked into it. Seems like it could be a little slower to recharge.

FWIW, the 12V charger has worked well for me, in limited use. I usually bring my Dewalt 20V tire inflator, drill, and Sawzall.
Some people call him Maurice...
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: aux/accessory lights, switches for solar system suggestions Reply with quote

Another light option

ALOVECO 12V RV Interior Lights, 12V LED Lights for RV 2700-6000K 12V Recessed Lights Remote Control Dimmable Waterproof Camper Interior Lighting for Boat Motorhome Yacht 6 Packs https://a.co/d/1drimCF

I haven't installed them, but this guy did. FF to 5:40.

Link

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: