Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KubelTreffen PDX/PNW The North Left Coast!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: KubelTreffen PDX/PNW The North Left Coast! Reply with quote

Due to the success of a very loose knit idea I had for a PDX/PNW Vanagon/Syncro/Doka/Westfalia Westravaganza recently, and still ongoing, and, due to the necessity to have something closer than the http://www.type181registry.com/Events/PNWTA cruises........I have been tossing around the idea of getting together a gathering of Things in the I-5 corridor area closer to Oregon.

Of course, since there are many owners of multiple VW's, we could open it up to Vanagon's/Syncro's/Doka's/Westfalia's/Iltis's?/Bay's/Splitty's/Eurovan's/ Verdier's Shocked Shocked Shocked etc.....as my experience has been that this crowd definitely has many different VW Habits and the more people I meet, the more VW's I realize that I have not yet owned and I want to be exposed to. I now have owned 34 VW's, of which three have been Things and 19 Have been various configurations of Westfalia's, Splitty's, Bay's and Vanagon's.

Thin-g-king about late spring to early summer, but, let me know your ideas and lets not get to bogged down with technicalities. There are many of us who live within 2-3 hours of each other and we need to comingle! Daytrips, campouts, Festival visits.....What do you all think? There are some monthly cruise slots available on the :http://www.type181registry.com/Events/PNWTA/ website, but, they seem to be all up north of us. Hey Nor Cal welcome as well..could go south???

Keep it simple! We do not have to have every single person at every single event as that never works. This is an attempt to meet and interact with as many of our kind as possible.....

Oh, oh what I want to know, is........Are you Kind?
We have so many possiblities for venue. I am excited to hear your input.

The best,
Jeffrey, Carterzest Dancing Green 181 Blue 181 Orange 181 Red 181 Yellow 181 VW Logo and, of course, thanks to TS Logo

This is no intent to step on any toes here......I can never seem to make the northerly cruises and I certainly do not think that we can get as sweet a turnout as the Kubeltreffen East...WOW~ Very Happy

Last edited by carterzest on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddie O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get together with some other classic VW's. My vote goes to holding it in Northern California, closer to Sacramento or the SF Bay Area. Methinks turnout might be better.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddie O wrote:
I'd love to get together with some other classic VW's. My vote goes to holding it in Northern California, closer to Sacramento or the SF Bay Area. Methinks turnout might be better.

I'd be into that. I hear there are some great roads north of Yosemite off of Highway 108.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.

Last edited by crofty on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be there.

Craig
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else interested inan event like this is Nor Cal? Suggestions of places?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go. Cool
I-5 is fine. The closer to the Silicon Valley the better. We have 6 Things in our little www.BLTNVW.com group alone. I am sure most of the 181 folks would go. I will talk to them tonight at the normal Thursday night weekly meeting about looking at this post and the concept.
| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com

Last edited by Solomon Grundy on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would love to come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Pauls_73_Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving back to Oregon (from Texas) in April and would love to attend such an event, whether it be in Oregon or Nor-Cal! Us Left-Coast VW owners need some more events, so THANKS carterzest!
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
No one else interested inan event like this is Nor Cal? Suggestions of places?

I like the idea of a Shasta trip like the Splitty Bay window group(Crazy mo fo's Very Happy )
with camping and such.....Day treks out and about on the abundance of forest service roads. We may be able to get some ideas off of where they have journeyed, however, they are doing their Shasta trip in the dead of winter.......Just a thought. Lots of camping around Ashland as well!~Howard Prairie Reservoir.......Just free associating...Trying to keep it on page 1.... Wink

Pauls_73_Thing wrote:
I'm moving back to Oregon (from Texas) in April and would love to attend such an event, whether it be in Oregon or Nor-Cal! Us Left-Coast VW owners need some more events, so THANKS carterzest!

Ahhhh, the threadius resurrectus....Must be getting sunny again. Where in OR are you moving Pauls_73_Thing?

I am down with Nor Cal as well, may have to wait until late spring early summer though. I just like to keep these meet ups informal, posted well in advance and flexible. We have a similar thread for our westfalia group in and around PDX and PNW and it has been a great way to meet people.

My work schedule dictates where and when I can make meets.....rotating 12 hour days/nights~~~~ with 13 days off consecutively once every 5 weeks. I could bitch about the meets I cannot make, but the ones I do make up for it! Very Happy
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread this and the "I would be there would pertain to something around Portland. Northern Cal would be a maybe at best. Anything within a couple of hours of Portland and I would be in.

Craig
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaeth wrote:
I just reread this and the "I would be there would pertain to something around Portland. Northern Cal would be a maybe at best. Anything within a couple of hours of Portland and I would be in.

Craig

X2 Craig, but in the spirit of things, I want to promote folks to take the lead on this and use it as a tool to get the Thing community together where there definitely seems to be a lack of organization.

My work schedule as you know is crazy, but, if a GTG down south falls on my time off, I may roll.

We can do both a SO OR/NO CAL and a PDX/PNW meet. Those who can make both, great, those who cannot we hope to see next time.

Use this forum to make it happen folks. This is not mine, just an idea that I want us all to build upon. I hate seeing all the Kubletreffen East posts and feeling left out on the left coast Crying or Very sad

I am puting my new generator and cal custom chrome stand on this week and can't wait to take it for a silent rip. My generator started clanking a couple hundered miles ago....summers comin' Very Happy

I still need a hardtop though!
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norcal would be ideal.
for one, i already live here. Very Happy
two, it is centrally located for PNW folks and Socal folks.

we have alot of pretty drives in the norcal area.
ive always wanted to cruise the coastline from San Fransisco to Humbolt area.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalvw wrote:
Norcal would be ideal.
for one, i already live here. Very Happy
two, it is centrally located for PNW folks and Socal folks.

we have alot of pretty drives in the norcal area.
ive always wanted to cruise the coastline from San Fransisco to Humbolt area.

X2... for everything.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some large group campgrounds in Mendocino, I love the Van Damne campground and Jughandle. Both right on PCH with redwoods all around.

We have family at the 108 and 49, if we go there we have to visit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
There is some large group campgrounds in Mendocino, I love the Van Damne campground and Jughandle. Both right on PCH with redwoods all around.

We have family at the 108 and 49, if we go there we have to visit.

ok. now we're talkin'.

we need to work on a date. june, july?
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooh!
Abalone hunting! We are allowed 4 a day still I believe, 8 in posession.
Makes for the best bbq ever.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard there are some great roads off of 108 near Miwok Village. Dillon Beach was a suggestion as well.

My opinion is that a place that has camping and forest service type roads would be ideal. The Shasta route(s) would be OK but in summer they would be VERY dusty and hot, plus they are pretty remote so camping may not be an option.

If we are talking June or later a higher elevation would be good just to escape the heat.

I was thinking of contacting local 4x4 clubs in the areas we were thinking of and asking for suggestions.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a fire-road trip. We should be sure to have a reasonable activity for those lowered Thing owners as well.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
I'd love a fire-road trip. We should be sure to have a reasonable activity for those lowered Thing owners as well.

They could bring coffee to the starting point. Wink

What kind of area are we looking for?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Daddie O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memorial Park in La Honda on the San Mateo coast is a beautiful camping spot in the redwoods. It's never too hot in the summer there are beaches close-by, long winding roads with no stop signs or stoplights, amazing views, and also a great Sunday meeting spot at 4-corners (where hwy 84 and hwy 35 meet). There's a place at 4- corners called Alice's Restaurant where classic motorcycles from all over the bay area meet every weekend because its such a beautiful ride. It's 2 hours from Sacramento, less than an hour from Silicon Valley. http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/parks/men...rchannel=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: