Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex heater exhaust/intake route
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Great, thanks for tracking this down.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this setup effectively allow you to refill the stock propane tank completely? I hate going to the filling station to have the tank refilled only to find it needed half a gallon or something. I'd rather top it off at home but don't know if this has a enough pressure to work. And then there's how to operate the release valve or whatever it is the attendant has to open first.

71MYSTABOO wrote:
rsxsr wrote "I'd like a little more information on that propane tank adapter please."

Well it's pretty simple, which is the beauty. The main bit is the large brass adapter that fits the fill valve on the propane tank. That cost me about $28 bucks. Then just a extension line however long you want. Mine was about $12
When your main tank runs out, fit the extra tank with this arrangement. The pressure in reserve tank overcomes the ball valve and supplies you with propane.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wont allow you to fill the tank. What it does is the higher pressure of
the spare tank will over come the valve in the fill port until
the tanks are equal in pressure. I have a couple of the fittings that screw onto
the fill port then you would need to provide your own hose.
A hose with a male POL on each end would work. I would sell them at
pretty much cost 25.00 each.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone is backfeeding the vanagon air distribution system that runs up to the dash/upper ceiling rails??
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Does this setup effectively allow you to refill the stock propane tank completely?

No, it can't do that. The external tank can only supply gas and not liquid. It will work to suppliment the onboard tank when it is empty; but to fill the tank, you'll need a liquid source.

It's possible to get liquid from the external tank by disabling the OPD valve but that's an exercise for the reader. Smile
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Installing a lawn mower muffler to Propex exhaust Reply with quote

I installed a Propex HS2800 in my 91 Westy and after a couple of trips with friends complaining about how loud the exhaust was, I began looking into doing a muffler. It was very easy but I thought I would share what I did and my results. I got the muffler from Amazon for $8 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DGALO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Overall it decreases the sound by about 50%, which for $8 is worth it.

Here is a video sound test I did. (Sorry for crappy video quality) https://youtu.be/MEKvrXo48fI

Installed under the slider door. I just used a hose clamp and some high temp RTV silicone to attach it to the hose.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

With sound test, that's great! Thanks for the definitive post.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

I heart science. Thanks for the legwork. Cheap muffler ordered. Looking forward to a quieter exhaust.

I'm assuming you haven't had any airflow errors?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

I haven't actually camped overnight since I installed it but I'm guessing airflow will be fine. I started up the heater and it seemed to be fine. I also blew threw it before installing it and it was quite easy. I really don't think it will be an issue but I will post something if it is.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

Can we have the part # for the large brass adapter that fits the fill valve on the propane tank? I'd like to try this.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

it will probably be 'ok' unless you camp at altitude.. I'd wager it'd have breathing issues at 9~10k ft. when we went to CO, both my buddy & I have propex heaters.. his was having an issue with the bug screen/hardware cloth he put over the intake.. ran fine after removing that.
mine was no issue, we didn't camp over 10k ft so hard to tell anything else.

as for the noise they make w/o a muffler, tell your friends to get a westy and out of the tent and they won't hear it.. it's really no louder than some of our camping friends snoring in their tent.. fwiw, they're really really loud snorers

WillSharp wrote:
I haven't actually camped overnight since I installed it but I'm guessing airflow will be fine. I started up the heater and it seemed to be fine. I also blew threw it before installing it and it was quite easy. I really don't think it will be an issue but I will post something if it is.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

This thread is great!

I was JUST thinking about this the other day as I'm going to eliminate my fridge and want a heater but DON'T want to cut any holes into the body like most people do.

There will be a day when those heavily modded Westfalias with all the goodies glued and tacked to them will become "worn out". All the hacking at the body will eventually deem it as needing replacement Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

Stephan Schmidt wrote:
There will be a day when those heavily modded Westfalias with all the goodies glued and tacked to them will become "worn out". All the hacking at the body will eventually deem it as needing replacement Wink

Using the van more (when it's cold out) will certainly wear it out SOONER. I think everyone wishes they had a perfect, unmolested Westy in storage. I dream about that often. But there are some mods I'd HAVE to do (heater). I suppose you only live once and if thats the case you should probably do it in the westy you have. Wink Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

Danfromsyr, In response to your concerns about altitude, I live at 10,000 feet in the mountains of CO. I have never had any issue with my propex even camping at like 11,000'+. We will have to see if there are performance issues with the muffler or not. I ran the heater for about 10 minutes after installing the muffler and performance seemed normal. Im hoping to get out soon to camp if it stops snowing here, so I will post my results. Its great hearing peoples thoughts! I think my friends were just complaining because they were jealous of my warmth! Haha
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

Stephan Schmidt wrote:
This thread is great!

I was JUST thinking about this the other day as I'm going to eliminate my fridge and want a heater but DON'T want to cut any holes into the body like most people do.

Stephan, I also agree with trying to preserve the condition of our westys to keep them out on the road. There are several options to install a propex without drilling holes. Although if you are precise with your measurement the two holes are fairly benign. After having installed the propex I would say it is one of the best things I have added to my westy. Theres nothing better than crawling into a 68º van when its 10º outside.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

I'm sure their complaints were more jealous based. but then you can't hear them when you're standing upright half nekkid putting on your clothes with warm air blowing across your toes. Wink they will razz you deeply if you run out of propane though.. (so I installed the big propane tank)

it's the increased usage of the westy with a propex (or other furnace) that will cause wear and demise to the van not the 2 holes thru the floor. you''re just going to get out and use it more..
and imho having a aux heat source makes it far more valuable. so valuable in fact it isn't even for sale Wink
heck the furnace is nice to run while the slider is open while I'm sitting on the threshold watching a sunset or a sunrise, or just the XYZ's playing in the distance.
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Stephan Schmidt wrote:

Using the van more (when it's cold out) will certainly wear it out SOONER. I think everyone wishes they had a perfect, unmolested Westy in storage. I dream about that often. But there are some mods I'd HAVE to do (heater). I suppose you only live once and if thats the case you should probably do it in the westy you have. Wink Wink

Wearing out replacement components is fine.

However, dealing with eventual problems from adding holes/grounds/electrics/weight etc.. which don't belong, make the up keep more challenging. Things I can think of are electrical gremlins, rust, leaks, etc... I prefer modifications that don't alter the original state of the van. Modifications that if wanted, could be swapped out within a few days and the result would be an unmolested westy...or at least something as close as possible Smile

This is the route I'm trying to stick to with my Westy ABA swap and I believe this thread is also about!
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater exhaust/intake route Reply with quote

Ok update on the muffler install.
I live at 10,000 feet in CO. I recently camped in the van at about 7,000 feet and had no problems with air flow. I am now in the middle of a Subie conversion so no more tests until that is done.

My best guess is that it is not inhibiting flow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: