Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom dashtray
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Custom dashtray Reply with quote

Soon after getting Savannah, the former bug I had with my '82 Westy quickly came back - way not enough up-front storage space for my crap. I searched this forum, others, and the web for weeks checking the various solutions. The 'premade' dashtrays for the Vanagons, I just really did not like. So after way too much net time searching for options, I hit upon simply using a 'desk organizer'. I originally though of using a fancy wood one, but then the wife came home with this and I figured, 'good enough', and the price was right ( $8 ).

Here's the organizer. The three screws hold the wood block to the back. Notice the offset.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the standard dash with the ashtray removed (surely a familiar site to many tweakers here)

I measured the ashtray hole a few times, cut a wood block, and sanded it roughly with a dremel tool til it fit snugly (but could still be removed easily)

I mounted the block on the tray so I could place it one way or another, unsure whether I wanted the large area in front or the three compartments.

I kinda like that way, but ultimately decided on this way:

Here it is with various junk in it. It's very stable, easy to lift out as needed, and has plenty of room for even more junk (The ancient ARCO notepad is where I track my mileage/fillups).

Shortly thereafter, I picked up a 12volt splitter. It sweetly and snugly sits between the console and dashtray - no play at all. Just wish I found a switchable one as I currently remove the source 12v plug and leave it hang so I don't drain the battery needlessly.

Next simple project, building something around the AT shifter to hold cups and other junk. I really don't like those fold-down holders that seem the default. I'll come up with something cooler. In fact, the bus came with a fold-down holder mounted to the front of the shifter...that was already broken. Will see what I can come up with.
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mod! Is TJ Maxx still in business?
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and simple.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice job. Contact Terry K here on the Samba he has a center consol that fits perfectly and has enough cup space for 4 tall cups of Java.
Thats about enough coffee to stumble through the mornings and the consol looks cool and the price is just as cool Cool .
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so far. It's a simple thing but suits my needs well, and I like simple.

By 'console', you mean one that sits on the floor between the two seats, right? If so, I appreciate the recommendation but I want to keep that passageway open. I'll rig something close-around the AT shifter...

SewFine has a cool 'console' in their Vanagon catalog. I doubt I can make it and won't pay $140 for it, but I can do something similar/more basic. Will see...
KM

(oh, and I thought the wife said she got it at Target...but the tag...so not sure if TJ Maxx is indeed still around or not!)
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a center console, i'd recommend the case logic center console - has 6 pockets, a rubberized bottom to keep it from sliding, and met my primary criterion - it's short enough to step over on your way to the back:
http://www.ebags.com/case_logic/center_console_organizer/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57184

it's about $12-14 depending on where you get it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiigoiii wrote:
for a center console, i'd recommend the case logic center console - has 6 pockets, a rubberized bottom to keep it from sliding, and met my primary criterion - it's short enough to step over on your way to the back:
http://www.ebags.com/case_logic/center_console_organizer/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57184

it's about $12-14 depending on where you get it.

I use this same console on top of the main battery compartment. If you have the jump seat, it slides in perfectly, is not in the way, and holds a ton of crap. I doubt it will stay in place without the jump seat, but then again I've never tried. Found it at Fred Meyers or Target for about $15 or so.
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might work ok, that console bag thing... Still gonna have a shot a making something to fit up and around the shifter... With two kids in the back, plus just general movement, I'd rather not have anything at all in the way of my big feet! Will see.

I've thought about adding a jump seat. They not only fold up but are also removable, right? As is, when we finally get to camp in the bus (weather dependent) - Wife and I in the fold down bed, two boys in the pop-up, and the 2 y.old girl will go in her porta-crib right where the jumpseat would go.

My former '82 had the child cot above the front seats. I've thought about adding that (wish I'd kept that cot!) but not sure it's worth the money for the maybe 2 more years she'd be able to fit up there...
KM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolmoe wrote:

My former '82 had the child cot above the front seats. I've thought about adding that (wish I'd kept that cot!) but not sure it's worth the money for the maybe 2 more years she'd be able to fit up there...
KM

Search Child AND Cot in this forum. They're made by a guy in Canada (gary Lee), and are good up to 100 pounds would be my guess. When we go to the drive ins, my two older 50 lb. boys lay on the cot, and the wife and I are on the bench. When camping, my 2 year old son is up front, the older two upstairs. Plus, it's great for getting stufff out of the way.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought. Do a search on google for Nylon Saddle Bags. If you find one that is small enough, you could cut a square out of the middle for the auto shifter to poke through and both the Passenger and the Driver would have some storage.

Like this, but with more pockets:

http://www.kathys-show-tack.com/cases/covers/bags/..._3900.html

You may have to bust out the sewing machine to make it the perfect fit, but if you look around I think you can find one that would be perfect.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the CaseLogic soft-box thing at the FLAPS awhile ago, and I like it more than I expected to. Sits between the front seats, I can swing my legs over it to go thru to the back, and if I have to do that a lot, the center handle lets me lift it right out and put it someplace else, like on the floor in front of the shotgun seat. The dividers can be moved around, so you can set up a couple narrow boxes to put drinks and water bottles in. Stays put. Holds a ton of little stuff. Plus there's little slip pockets for pens, tire gauge, etc., that little crap that ends up all over the place otherwise.

I like the dash console thing that started this, but I can't use something like that on my road. It's an offroad adventure to reach my place, and there are bumps that taken at almost any speed heave the whole van up like cresting an ocean wave, and anything loose stored up high goes airborne when you drop on the other side. Nice idea, but more accommodating to an urban crowd, I'm afraid.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few ideas Idea

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas, but I personally don't like to carry things on the dash that can fly around, spill, or cause damage. The floor center consol is a much better place to have all those items and I feel safer with them below eye level (my personal experience). I have never been inconvenienced by it and it's easy to step over. My $0.02
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (too) was thinking that I'd want to go back and forth between the front and rear, so I picked this up when I was last at GW ($15):

Two things I like the most - cup holders and coin holders. Slots for each of the four common coins, plus a horizontal slot that fits more quarters (you can never have enough quarters for those campground showers!). I position the console in the opposite direction that is pictured above - cupholders and coin holders toward front/gear shift. There are teeth on the bottom of the console, so it doesn't move around at all.

The reality is that I'm too old (50) for the gymnastics required to go back and forth (at least that's what I tell my wife). So I'm thinking of getting the larger console - which allows for additional (covered/locked) storage.

GW also sells the larger sized center console that TK sells (GW price is $90):

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
mccabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a console I made out of the cheap GW console that i posted a while back. I had been planing to refine it a bit but I haven't got around to it. I really find it very useful, and I like having the space between the seats free for walking through or tossing a bag. the catch is at the height I made it you would need to get a short shift kit.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293701&highlight=center+centre+console
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center consols the vendors sell are all Wolf brand. They can be found almost anywhere that sells auto accessories including Walmart. They come in many styles and colors.

http://www.autobarn.net/consoles1.html

http://www.webcovers.com/WolfConsoles/
DWC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I use for a center console.
It doubles as storage for CDs, sun glasses etc. when I'm not using it to heat or cool drinks. Also good for those last minute items that won't fit in the fridge on long camping trips.
I found mine at Target for $14.
DC

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rewilliams_2027_1671332

Travel Cooler & Warmer with Freezer Ultra Console (9 Liter)

Features Include:

* BUILT-IN BATTERY AUTO SAVER PREVENTS FULL DISCHARGE OF VEHICLE’S BATTERY
* Efficient thermoelectric system cools up to 40 F below ambient temperature and heats to approximately 120 F (depending on surrounding temperature)
* Rests on vehicle seat, tailgate hatch or floor for easy access
* Plugs into vehicle or boat 12 volt DC outlet or any other 12 volt DC power supply
* 12 can, 2.3 gallon (9 Liter) capacity
* Dual can and cup holders
* 17"L x 10"W x 13"H
* 10 LBS

Specifications:

* Extra long 6' power cord with fuse protected 12 volt DC power plug
* Automatic shut-off protection for over-warming
* Cool/warm LED indicators
* ON/OFF cool and heat switch
* CFC-free insulation material

* Easy clean aluminum liner
* Padded top
* Detachable shoulder strap
59 Panel van
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: