Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark Plug doesnt fit Head
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Spark Plug doesnt fit Head Reply with quote

I bought a new set of spark plugs for 73 beetle, 3 went in just fine and the last one rolled around in the hole. Checked and the treads are fine/ not cross- threaded. Just looks like it take a larger spark plug for some reason?
I noticed with the three other holes there looks like a copper sleeve of some sort inside the hole. Not sure what to do - can I get 1 larger spark plug for the 4th hole?

A. Is the normal hole, spark plug fits fine

B. Is the larger hole ( notice no copper collar )

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the plugs you removed. I think you'll find a threaded insert still attached to one of them.
gregb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
Take a look at the plugs you removed. I think you'll find a threaded insert still attached to one of them.

Unfortunately, there were no plugs in the engine when I acquired it, but I suspect you are correct! - Am I able to get a hold of these things somewhere?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solid insert on one of mine on my 1835cc. NAPA or CarQuest or BAP have them. Loctite it in (red Loctite) use anti-seize on the spark plug threads.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gregb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I have a solid insert on one of mine on my 1835cc. NAPA or CarQuest or BAP have them. Loctite it in (red Loctite) use anti-seize on the spark plug threads.

Great, is there a specific name for these things?
f4stunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time-serts is one brand. Just do a search for thread inserts in google or yahoo. or just go down to autozone or napa and tell them you need a spark plug repair kit. I would tell you the brand I bought through advanced auto but its over at my dads right now.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cylinder head is already tapped for the insert, you don't need the whole kit, just the threaded insert. They come in different lengths so be sure to take a standard plug to the store with you. There are different metal inserts available as well; mine from BAP was stronger and has worked longer than the cheapie assortment one from discount store. carQuest's also looked good.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bongon247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: thread repair insert Reply with quote

NAPA Part # that you need is SER2128...

comes with the loc-tite, anti-sieze a plug, thread it hand tight into the insert then torque the entire thing into the head. they work well.

love,

you friendly neighborhood napa parts guy, who is bored to tears at work
Endicott jb
Bondo King

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, they are called helli coils.

OORAH!!
1965 vw beetle(Mayble)
1968 vw beetle(Caroline)
1974 VW Panel Bus
2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins(Katey)

.|_____|.
(0\_!_/0)
.||......||.

Don't drink and post
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg353/endicott_jb/IMG_20110113_085237.jpg
When life throws you curveballs switch to boomerangs.
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endicott jb wrote:

The actual part is called a threaded insert. Heli-coil is just a brand name.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endicott jb wrote:

Heli-coil is a brand name, for a spring-looking insert. I'm talking about a solid threaded insert. By the way, my cylinder heads were heli-coiled by the shop when they were rebuilt in 1986, so one of those unthreaded, which I then replaced with the solid threaded insert. Luckily, the solid insert used the same thread size, so I didn't have to re-tap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: