Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ambulance steps on Westys
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
thom wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:
Does anyone actually use them or find them useful? I thought about putting one on m SO34 but am wondering if its even worth it

I have never used one, so I have no idea, Aren't they generally rusted stuck? Does anyone have one that works?
I had a later step that goes in the jack points on a bus, I found that useful. Different look, though.

I have a "normal" one that was stuck that I was able to fix; I also have an NOS belly - pan version. The NOS one would probably shatter your shins if you standing too close when you opened it.

I have a rusted shut one, can't figure out how to get it apart to unsrick it. Tell us your magic juju to get it undone if you please.

Drop it in a vat of CLR for a week.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
thom wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:
Does anyone actually use them or find them useful? I thought about putting one on m SO34 but am wondering if its even worth it

I have never used one, so I have no idea, Aren't they generally rusted stuck? Does anyone have one that works?
I had a later step that goes in the jack points on a bus, I found that useful. Different look, though.

I have a "normal" one that was stuck that I was able to fix; I also have an NOS belly - pan version. The NOS one would probably shatter your shins if you standing too close when you opened it.

I have a rusted shut one, can't figure out how to get it apart to unsrick it. Tell us your magic juju to get it undone if you please.
I've been working on one that was frozen. The blue wrench is your friend. I used a heavy wood mallet to get it moving. The foot lever rod tube had to be sliced along the length and split open to get the rod out, then a new tube fabricated. I heated the tube with an acetylene torch and could not free it up. There is so much surface area inside the tube, slicing it open may be the only option if you want to re-use the og foot rod. The Springs were replaced, a missing mounting foot fabricated, etc, etc. It was a PITA for sure, and time consuming to get everything working correctly; fun project though.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
thom wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

I had one that was frozen, it popped out with some torch heat and me yanking on it.
It may not have been stuck that bad though.
A ton of greasy smoke came out of it while heating it.
My lifespan is probably a bit shorter now but those are the crappy years at the end and I just need to live long enough to be uploaded anyway
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
thom wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

I had one that was frozen, it popped out with some torch heat and me yanking on it.
My lifespan is probably a bit shorter now but those are the crappy years at the end and I just need to live long enough to be uploaded anyway

Laughing

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
thom wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

Drop it in a vat of CLR for a week.

If you can't afford gallons of CLR try molasses mixed 1:9 with water. You may need to leave it for a week or two. Then hit it with the gas wrench as needed. It worked for me-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was the second one I restored. I didn't know the molasses trick then. I used a mixture of ATF & Acetone, 1:1. I hung up the step by the rear bar and just kept dripping this mix into the slider pipes until I was able to move it a bit. Then I wailed on it with a huge rubber mallet until it came apart.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Bumping this thread hoping to get some additional information/pics of Westfalia buses with ambulance steps.

If you have a Westy and it has m-code 530 please post the location of your step. Some were mounted under the forward cargo door, some under the rear.

If you have a rear door mounted step, posting the measurement of either of the frame rail mounting holes would be super helpful.

SO-42 with forward mounted step.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

[quote="Pinetops"]
StockNazi wrote:

Whoever decided it was a good idea to place the ice-box directly in front of the forward cargo door, must have been the one to mount that step.

It would be useful on a flipseat.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

Whoever decided it was a good idea to place the ice-box directly in front of the forward cargo door, must have been the one to mount that step.

on that note, where would you put the icebox?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The forward step is more ore less a useless option on an SO-42. I guess someone could step on the left side of it when getting in. I don't have either the ice box or the step on the bus currently. The icebox is cool and looks great but it gets in the way, especially when people who don't know how the cargo doors work try to get in the back. I suppose I could try to unfreeze the step and put it back on since I don't usually use the ice box.

mandraks wrote:

I would have left the icebox out, either that or put everything on the other side like a lake bay westy with a swivel passenger seat.

Last edited by Pinetops on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

In your garage at home?

Thomas Jefferson
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Well, I go to my step working and decided to mount it in the more logically location under the rear cargo door as my bus is a SO 23 and the wash cabinet is in the way of the front cargo door.
Problem is the space between the frame rail and the rocker is too narrow for th step to fit unless I roll the sides in 1/2 inch.
I wonder if those who have a step mounted under the rear cargo have noticed any alterations to the sides of the step?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback

Last edited by Braukuche on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
...unless I roll the sides in 1/5 inch.

There's your problem: your tape measure's gone wonky. Must be the Adams Avenue vortex syndrome. Try spinning the bus' 3rd Chakra 1/17th turn.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
...unless I roll the sides in 1/5 inch.

There's your problem: your tape measure's gone wonky. Must be the Adams Avenue vortex syndrome. Try spinning the bus' 3rd Chakra 1/17th turn.

I'm dizzying enough as it is when it comes to math, mixing my fractions and decimals is no bueno.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The forward step is more ore less a useless option on an SO-42. I guess someone could step on the left side of it when getting in. I don't have either the ice box or the step on the bus currently. The icebox is cool and looks great but it gets in the way, especially when people who don't know how the cargo doors work try to get in the back. I suppose I could try to unfreeze the step and put it back on since I don't usually use the ice box.

mandraks wrote:

I would have left the icebox out, either that or put everything on the other side like a lake bay westy with a swivel passenger seat.

Couldn't you move the step under the rear door?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Well, I go to my step working and decided to mount it in the more logically location under the rear cargo door as my bus is a SO 23 and the wash cabinet is in the way of the front cargo door.
Problem is the space between the frame rail and the rocker is too narrow for th step to fit unless I roll the sides in 1/2 inch.
I wonder if those who have a step mounted under the rear cargo have noticed any alterations to the sides of the step?
This is probably the best reference pic someone has posted of a Westy with a rear cargo door mounted step. This step is the earlier with only 1 side dust cover plate.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/388326.jpg

Is the side of your sheet metal cover hitting the frame rail?

Thomas Jefferson
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
This is probably the best reference pic someone has posted of a Westy with a rear cargo door mounted step. This step is the earlier with only 1 side dust cover plate.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/388326.jpg

Is the side of your sheet metal cover hitting the frame rail?

Yeah Doug, mine has two walls an the depth gets lower a sense you get toward the back of the bus. To mount it under the rear door I had to use tin snips to make a inch cut on the side and topand fold in the flap on both sides. I figure if someen down the road wants to take it back to stock they could fold the metal back and weld up the cuts no problem.
I'll post pictures once it's in.
Since I've never seen different Wall depths I gotta assume anyone with a rear mounted step has had to alter it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Thought I would post this picture of another Westy with a rear cargo door mounted ambulance step.

Thomas Jefferson
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Here's mine installed, again with some hidden modifications. I like the location. With the step out I can stand on it and reach my roof rack easily.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Here's mine installed, again with some hidden modifications. I like the location. With the step out I can stand on it and reach my roof rack easily.

That looks nice. Makes MUCH more sense to have it under the rear door.

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
thom wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

I have now actually used a working one and it is flipping sweet!
I think it is the same one you unstuck, Everett.
That bus is really dry, so I think it might now have been rusted too bad.
It kicks out pretty slowly, actually.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: