Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto Reply with quote

I'm starting this thread to be an ongoing tour through the process of working on my car. I've posted a bit, but haven't shown my Square yet. I'm a full-time student at UFV in BC, Canada, so the budget is tight. I bought the car as a birthday present to myself in May of 2008 with hopes of making it daily-able in time for school in the fall, didn't quite happen.

I found the car on the Samba, I've been trolling for a long time. I bought it off a Samba member in Seattle and brought it up over the border for super cheap. Importing is easier than I thought. She's a '69 Square. Joel, the PO, threw in tons of extras for me: some Empi 8 spoke replicas, spare good windshield, spare beefed up rear crossmember, and a bunch of other little stuff. She was missing lots of pieces in the engine compartment. He'd taken out the FI system to find a bug in the system and sold it off, so no fuel delivery of any kind. The seats had no covers and were just wrapped in garbage bags, and the dash was cracked and split (oh, also threw in new dash pad). The good (great Very Happy) parts were that the body has some gorgeous patina, the brakes are new, the carpet is good, there is minimal rust, floorboards are super solid, even battery tray, early low back seats, early "claw" front seat belts, and it had those cool rear seat hinges that let you fold the seat out flat (as shown in pics).

So in the last 6 months or less I've reupholstered all the seats with a TMI kit, lowered it 3 in the front and 1 in the rear, put in new battery and fixed up a few electrical issues, installed new mechanical fuel pump/filter/lines, new cap/rotor/plugs/wires, new intake manifolds, new dual Weber 34ICTs/linkage/filters (used excellent condition off Samba), new oil, adjusted valves, new dash pad, oh and an Empi antenna ball and the essential 8-ball shifter. As it sits now it still needs timing done, carbs tuned, and new clutch. I've run it and driven it around the block a few times, but it's still a ways from passing the necessary inspection after importing. Also need to fix horn, reverse lights, dash lights, little things like that.

This is how she currently sits, I start her every week and take her around the block every couple. I get looks even in the quick 5 minute drive, and everyone that walks by when I'm out working on it stops and compliments me on the car. I take no credit, Sandy gets the credit. I'm truly loving the aircooled VW community, I've made lots of friends already, and I hope to be as passionate about these classic VWs in 40 years as I am now!

Enjoy the pics!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BTW, sorry for image quality. These are just cell phone pics Embarassed
BC Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOOD!!!! SWEET RIDE!!!!!!!!!! Bring er by tonight....
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 34 ICT's are known for not having the perfect jets for the 1600 out of the box! blankmange has his 34's perfected on his 1600 & 1776 and would prolly give you his jetting specs. if you ask him. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a badass square. You've done a lot of work for a full-time student. Back when I was in college I could barely keep my Plymouth Horizon on the road. Then again that was a high peformance vehicle.......expensive parts and all that. Laughing

BC Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the jetting specs and I bet either AVR which is close to you or CIP which is 6 blocks away from me will prolly have em. If not try posting on www.airspeedparts.com it`s a great site with lots of good peeps on there.
Again... GREAT LOOKIN SQUARE DOOD!!!!
Chronogoof89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to take that fuel filter out of the engine bay. That always scares me.

If you had just posted a late Beetle on its forum with a filter in the bay, 90 people would have already yelled at you.
2003 Volkswagen Golf VR6
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronogoof89 wrote:
Might want to take that fuel filter out of the engine bay. That always scares me.

Wow, thankyou! I hadn't really thought that through. I originally had it under the car when I tried using the stock electric fuel pump. When I scrapped that and had to reroute for mechanical pump I was short on fuel line and didn't feel like going back to the store. I put the filter there because it gave me enough length to be able to have a join like that, haha. Now I'm scared to even start it again, 'cause I can see how that could be a serious problem. Thanks, I'll have to changed right away!

Thanks for all the other comments, I can't wait to pull up on campus the first time driving it! There lot's of VW guys around at uni, but more like MK1-3 Golfs, GTIs and Jettas (which I also love, I own a mildly done up MK3 Golf as well), so I'm sure I'll get some love there. BCBuggy, I think I'll be by tonight, see if the girlfriend is okay with that Rolling Eyes, but I can't bring Sandy, still not legal.
BC Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lane... FYI....If you are using those 99¢ filters you find in the bin on the counter at the auto parts store. They are notorious for coming apart. ICBC knows this and a precident has been set. If you have a fire, and you have one of those plastic filters, you are not covered. The same applies to those filters with a glass tube. Even if it is clear the filter had nothing to do with the fire, you are SOL.

Shawn
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto Reply with quote

85fastlane wrote:

I'd add a balance tube to rhose intakes before I'd play with the jetting. Even VW added a balance tube to their small carbs with dual ports, and these are no exception. I think the jetting is posted, but it might be from a year ago (definitely use the search function). The balance tube will make tuning that much easier.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandy is a good lookin' car. Cool i like your seats. plan on doing mine real soon. i also dig the rear seat/bed conversion. did the PO install those or did you grab a set? i'm interested in those too...info? nice square Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get the hub caps for the 4 lugs? i'd like a set of those for my blue squareback!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
i also dig the rear seat/bed conversion. did the PO install those or did you grab a set? i'm interested in those too...info? nice square Very Happy

PO installed them, not sure where to find them Confused sorry.

vwfye wrote:
where did you get the hub caps for the 4 lugs? i'd like a set of those for my blue squareback!

Ordered just one off CIP1 to see if I liked the look. I think I'll get the rest, but I want to find better quality ones. These are starting to show rust already, although, that might look good. Laughing
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85fastlane wrote:

Ordered just one off CIP1 to see if I liked the look. I think I'll get the rest, but I want to find better quality ones. These are starting to show rust already, although, that might look good. Laughing

You'll have a hard time finding good quality custom chrome hubcaps these days... A light spray of silicon lubricant can be your friend to protect this made in China chrome...Almost unnoticeable, non greasy, clear, easy to clean for show. And when the car is used as a DD, or parked, it does protect well.

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you pull it off and take a picture of the backside? i'm curious as to how the lip is rolled/stamped/pressed. thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
sandy is a good lookin' car. Cool i like your seats. plan on doing mine real soon. i also dig the rear seat/bed conversion. did the PO install those or did you grab a set? i'm interested in those too...info? nice square Very Happy

Air Cooled Nut(Toby) designed/built his own "camping hinges". Martin @ theddb is selling them!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fasty69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto Reply with quote

yes for the love of god i agree......mine never ran right until i did that....it was as simple as 2 3/8 hose barb fittings screwd into both manifolds and a peice of 3/8 fuel hose between them, thats all it took for mine anyway......

Bobnotch wrote:
85fastlane wrote:

I'd add a balance tube to those intakes before I'd play with the jetting. Even VW added a balance tube to their small carbs with dual ports, and these are no exception. I think the jetting is posted, but it might be from a year ago (definitely use the search function). The balance tube will make tuning that much easier.

schlomo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ride...I picked up a 68' last month...virtually rust free I have it pretty much apart now and fixing the minor issues...I would post a pic if her but I am still new at this forum...lol
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
would you pull it off and take a picture of the backside? i'm curious as to how the lip is rolled/stamped/pressed. thanks!

Here's the wheel, there's little "nubs" around the center. Does yours not have these?

And the hubcap, it just has a lip that goes all the way around to grab the wheel "nubs".

Also, for everyone's info, here's my camp hinges. Grabbed a shot of the logo too.

About my balance tube. Was over at BC Buggy's place last night and I noticed his. I'm new at this, I knew I should have one, but couldn't figure it out. Now I know why. My intake manifolds don't have anything like the ones I saw on his square. There's nowhere to hook a line upto. So next priority, when it stops raining, move the fuel filter. Second priority, drill and tap intake manis for balance tube. Thanks for all the help again guys!
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new pic to add, a little update. It's a custom modification, one of a kind, extremely technical. It takes a steady and precise hand, and a sacrificial rubber chicken. Alas, my new shift boot (I take no credit for this idea, I wish I could, but I stole it from a ratty bug I saw in the gallery).

85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a game called "Here's what my lazy ass finally got around to doing!". Full-time school and full-time work has kept my time very well occupied, so I've fully taken advantage of my week off for "reading week", timed perfectly with the arrival of my student loan, to get a bunch of things done to Sandy.

Beware, purists will hate me!

So the engine had to come out due to a mystery clutch issue, which turned out to be just a clip that was not done up. But while it was out I decided to clean everything fairly good and paint it up. Enjoy the pics!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: