Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got family and friends and loves lost in Victoria. awesome area, the island is fun.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mounties were cool back when! HE let us slide when we were smoking hash oil one Xmas night in the 70's in a closed Park! We opened the door on my small camper and he says "What is that smell?" My bro-in-law says "we just burnt the coffee on our Svea stove!" Wellllllll, I would really like to see some ID!!! Okay, but You guys be Gone in the morning! Good Night! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I'm a little overly stoked about it, but I thought it was cool, haha. Honestly, if you have the magazine (UltraVW April 2010) you can probably barely find this picture, it's so small. But this is me and my room mate Shawn cruising into the pancake breakfast at last year's GCVWS. Him in the '64 patina bug, me in the '69 square.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post but I just realized I didn't post any of the work I did over the winter. That last motor explodered, and I happened to have a spare case already torn down, so I did a rebuild on this sad, corroded, ugly case. It's my very first build and all I used was the Wilson manual. It's a stock 1600 DP with my dual Weber 34 ICTs on it. It started up no problem and is running strong. There's about 6000 miles on it already and quickly climbing, seeing as it is my wife and I's only car and we commute for school. I hope to start building another motor using the case that was in the car, which is in far better shape. Maybe something a bit bigger. But this is what I have for now.

All the parts laid out

It all looks so pretty

As clean as it's going to get

Reassembled crank

With rods

In place, what a fight to do by yourself, very difficult, could use another pair of hands!

All buttoned back up

Pistons and pots on

The old VW heads all cleaned up and rebuilt, amazing work by FVE&M in Abbotsford, recommended by AVR, they were cruddy and really ugly before

New valves, valve guides, valve springs, fresh grind, swivel foot adjusters

Looking good

And that's that, ugly case, I know!

For some reason my pictures stop here. But I assure you the bright tin work was put back on. So satisfying to build your first engine yourself and be driving it around every day!!!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think your case is crusty? Here is the one that Bob got with the Ghia.
That crud is from mouse pee for 20 some years.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69sback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so where did you end up moving the fuel filter to? My filter is in the engine compartment too!
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69sback wrote:
so where did you end up moving the fuel filter to? My filter is in the engine compartment too!

OUT OUT OUT of the engine compartment.... mount it under the tank up front, where it's supposed to be...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuel filter is now located just after the fuel line comes out of the pan in front of the rear wheel, kind of beside the transaxle. Much easier access.

The case was pretty wet when I got it. Tipped it and water came running out of the dipstick tube. So needless to say it's a little soft. One head bolt pulled out when I tried to torque it. Oh well, there's 7 more on that side Razz
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear your engine rebuild fired up and ran without too much drama! JSMSkater & Tommy Boy had Us too scared to even attempt it! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a case stud pull, you should have had the case inserts installed. I just put them in on every case I build.
You can see them in that other picture I posted.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I know Russ Embarassed The case was a barely run rebuilt by a reputable friend up here that had just gotten wet (the motor was wet, not my friend). So I pulled it apart, made sure everything was in good shape and measured up good and threw new bearings and some other stuff at it. So the case never touched a machine shop by me. Didn't want to take it in just for case savers. It's purpose is as a temporary anyways. I have a solid AS41 that I will soon start building as a 1776 and hope it's finished before this motor lets go. Next one will be done slower, more patiently, with some extra care.
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks,

It's been a long, long while since I've been active on this forum. Checking the forum was once part of my daily routine. Funny how school, marriage, kids, etc. changes all of that. I'm now living in a different province and have finished school, so the "Student Budget Resto" should be retitled to the "Low-Budget Working Person's Resto" as I'm looking to pick back up with my beloved Sandy and get her back on the road this coming summer.

I put about 10,000 miles on the engine I rebuilt, but it started to behave a little funny with idling on two cylinders (that troubleshooting thread can be found here) and then some electrical gremlins destroying ignition switches (voltage regulator?). With our first kid on the way (we're now expecting our third), Sandy got parked and hasn't been driven since.

Sandy rolled again when I trailered her out to her new home in Alberta and into my dad's spacious garage. I'll be spending weekends for the next few months heading to his place to get my sexy, ratty Square back on the road. Just wanted to say "hi" to some old friends and new members.

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get it running yet?

Its Street Machine weekend this week

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
85fastlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto Reply with quote

Well, here we are. 10 years after I bought the car I'm hoping to get her back on the road. Finally! I now have a 6.5-year-old to help with the wrenching (and two younger ones soon to join the crew too as they get older). It's been sitting for 5-6 years, so I've pulled the fuel tank, will replace all the fuel lines, have dropped the engine for a good cleaning, and am doing a good once-over to determine what all needs repair. I haven't perused The Samba in years. Hope to be back as a regular again!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto Reply with quote

85fastlane wrote:
Well, here we are. 10 years after I bought the car I'm hoping to get her back on the road. Finally! I now have a 6.5-year-old to help with the wrenching (and two younger ones soon to join the crew too as they get older). It's been sitting for 5-6 years, so I've pulled the fuel tank, will replace all the fuel lines, have dropped the engine for a good cleaning, and am doing a good once-over to determine what all needs repair. I haven't perused The Samba in years. Hope to be back as a regular again!

Welcome back. Your new helpers are/will be doing a fine job. At least you still own the car, as most might have gotten rid of it years ago.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandy the Squareback: A Student Budget Resto Reply with quote

this could be an interesting year for T3's in town
there are 2 others that are vowing to be running this year too, A fasty and another square.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: