Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to wire a "lights on" buzzer?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: How to wire a "lights on" buzzer? Reply with quote

It could be old age or it could be the chemicals in my garage, but I seem to be leaving the lights on lately. I found a little 12V buzzer at Radio Shack but have only a vague idea how to wire it up. Anyone done this before?

Thanks,
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your buzzer, you'll probably need a diode in series with the buzzer. You could wire one side to the parking light circuit and the other side to the door pinswitch. This would buzz when the parking lights were on and the door open. Another possibility is the parking light circuit and switched ignition. According to the fuse pinout from tencentlife, the rear fuse panel connection "G9" is the parking light circuit.

Personally I don't worry about it. Only the parking lights stay on - this is so you can park and use the lights if you like. The current draw is not too bad, the battery should last over a day with them on.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do the same thing too, si I first put in LED bulbs all around to minimize draw. Had to jump once after lights stayed on in near freezing temps.

Then I found a nifty little pre-wired gizmo from Van-Cafe that did exactly what you're talking about. It beeps for five seconds after shutting down the ignition. It wired right into the switch relay if I remember correctly. At any rate I rarely leave them on anymore since I've been trained like a Pavlovian dog. And even if I forget, it reminds me. I can't find it on the website right now, but poke around or give them a call and you'll locate it.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking that I could power the buzzer from from a switched on source and then ground it to the on side of the headlight switch so that it would only sound when a) switched on and b) when the headlight switch is in the on position. Will that work?

I've got a 2.2 Subie on board and with the hot starter issue and a fairly old battery, I can't leave the lights on for more than 20 minutes and I'll get a VERY SLOOOOW starter if anything at all.

The buzzer is cheap insurance for now and a new battery is definitely on my short list.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: