Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carburated vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catamount bus stop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: carburated vanagon Reply with quote

hi all this might seem like a strange question, but here goes.. i have an 83 waterboxer westy that is having fuel problems. it runs crappy with the o2 sensor hooked up so i have been running without it (its been replaced) the bus runs really rich and gets about 12 mpg. i know it has many sensors and switches on the engine as well as old and cracked wiring throughout. i want to know if anyone has tried going with an aftermarket weber like on the aircooleds it seems like an easy swap
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, C.B.S.! Welcome to The Samba! Very Happy

Seems to me I remember someone doing that, and yes, it would seem like an easy swap (don't forget to install a new fuel pump, though!).

One of the nice things here on TheSamba is the Search feature ("Use the Search, Luke!"). Doing a quick scan, I found this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224295&highlight=carburetor and this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173721&highlight=carburetor.

There might be more - I only gave the Search a quick glance. Anyway, these oughta get you started.

Once again, welcome! Very Happy

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: carburated vanagon Reply with quote

catamount bus stop wrote:
hi all this might seem like a strange question, but here goes.. i have an 83 waterboxer westy that is having fuel problems. it runs crappy with the o2 sensor hooked up so i have been running without it (its been replaced) the bus runs really rich and gets about 12 mpg. i know it has many sensors and switches on the engine as well as old and cracked wiring throughout. i want to know if anyone has tried going with an aftermarket weber like on the aircooleds it seems like an easy swap

My good friend, if you cannot fix your poorly running Digijet 1.9L, you won't be able to fine tune a pair of Weber or Kadron-Brossal.... Even the Single Weber need some jetting.

that said, a fine tuned carb (dual or single) could give you years of pure pleasure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In general you would get more power but less fuel economy.

I fully understand why you want to get rid of all those wires... but i would still suggest that you stick and fix the Digijet FI system (83-85). It's a pretty good and simple system.

Don't get me wrong, i love carbs.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks here are going to tell you to fix the FI, same as they tell others whenever the carb. vs. FI question comes up. Dogpilot has the FI protraining manual posted on his website. I dont know the URL, but I'm sure someone can post it here.

Also welcome to the samba. You will find lots of knowledgeable, helpful people on here. I'm not one of them, but they are on here for sure.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blood Loss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type I (air-cooled beetle) dual carbs bolt right up to the wasserboxer cylinder head. They do not need the preheat that a single carb does to prevent winter manifold icing. The vanagon carb conversion kits usually use a single carb and don't run well in cold weather. I would keep the FI. If you do go with carburation, I would use dual type I carbs. You will have to figure something out for the likage.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd want to check the engine cover clearance too. By the time you got the linkage sorted out and then air cleaners, it could be tight.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you'd want to step backwards in technology is beyond me. A foolish thing to do. Carbs were phased out years ago for a reason; inefficiant. If you think your gas mileage will improve, you're wrong there too.

Get the FI fixed. Take it to a mechanic if you cannot figure it out. DOGPILOT has posted many times his site where you can download a free repair and troubleshooting guide. It will walk you along. It is for the 2.1 liter, but many of the tests can be done on your 83 aircooled Vanagon FI system.

The money you'd spend on a carb system (foolish waste of money and time) can be better spent repairing the FI system, if that indeed is the fault here.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is a 83 wasserboxer, but I agree figure out what is wrong with the FI and fix what you already own.

Dual carbs for this thing would run the better part of $1K + some tuning time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: