Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage find 6 miles from home ! Update w/daytime pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmw1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i would say you did really good!

'60 Beetle Indigo Blue
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did you put that fake tag on it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one to keep eh. I'd keep the black one but what year is the blue one? Why not sell one of the mexibeetles and keep both of the older ones?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darby I would scout out a storage garage. keep all of em if at all possible. I know though what you mean like us 2 adult drivers and 4 vehicles. However it gives us variety.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you did damn good!

Depending on mechanical and underbody condition, I think I'd keep the black one. Black bugs just aren't that common!

So what year did it end up being, anyway? Looks like I see a 62/later seat belt mount on the right door post. The gas gauge, and tail lights, those all could have been imported from another car but not so easily those seat belt shoulder mounts. Does it have the 62-early 63 kick panels under the back seat?

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My only big issue now is which one to keep, the black one or the bahama blue one I bought a couple of weeks ago. I have way too many cars to keep both, I simply want a nice daily driver.

Nice score.....I'd keep both early cars.....I'm jealous.
AXAM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fine.
I keep them all !!!
definately the black one. I just got my blk 67 with low miles...so either add on to your garage or fine some storage. If you want I take one.... Very Happy
Robbie Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta be the black one !
looks super straight and super sweet in the light of day!
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black bugs give me a semi. Very Happy

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I'd say you did damn good!

Depending on mechanical and underbody condition, I think I'd keep the black one. Black bugs just aren't that common!

So what year did it end up being, anyway? Looks like I see a 62/later seat belt mount on the right door post. The gas gauge, and tail lights, those all could have been imported from another car but not so easily those seat belt shoulder mounts. Does it have the 62-early 63 kick panels under the back seat?

-Andy

Andy, very good eye. It has "real" rear footwell vents with manual flaps & little round rubber knobs I think this dates the body as a fresh air vintage (early '63?) the vin number on the chassis is mid 1961. A little more digging has uncovered an decently replaced entire R/F quarter panel using a VW replacement panel from after 1968. After '68 VW's replacement quarters has a stamping for the bumper mount like a 68+ but had an adapter step on the inside to mount the bumper on early cars.
The R/F fender and front lid are used replacements too. Maybe it was kissed in the R/F hard enough that the frame was bent ?? Anyway the '61 chassis has original pans, front beam and looks fantastic and NOT restored. My Bahama Blue car is on a '65 chassis, same deal both car and the '65 chassis under it are all original metal. The bahama blue car tough was originally turquoise and has the 62 era small 1.5" adapter pipe that was VW's 1st step in rear footwell heat. I'm carefully removing the rear heat pipes and going to adapt fans and some other goodies for better heat. It also has seatbelt mounts right ahead of the rear side glass but they are covered by the headliner.

I think my plans for now are restore the engine house of the black car and put the 1300cc engine I have here into it. I'm ordering phospher & como green seat & door panels for the bahama car and will put the basketweave interior into the balck one until spring.

I have to put a trans in the Bahama car too so need to get that done.

Come spring I'm going to strip the black car and do a proper cosmetic restoration with new paint and proper interior then decide which one to sell. I have a black '53 already, bahama blue even though it isn't "correct" on the other car is my favorite VW color.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
Andy, very good eye. It has "real" rear footwell vents with manual flaps & little round rubber knobs I think this dates the body as a fresh air vintage (early '63?) the vin number on the chassis is mid 1961. .

Ah. I wonder if it's a VIN number transplant from a defunct 61 then.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Andy, the chassis is virgin as far as I can tell. It doesn't bother me one way or another. I just assumed someone assembled the car from good parts at some point, same as the blue one.
estofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great score on the bugs!! Personally I would keep the Blue one if you had to choose!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wundering about a few things on the car as well. Thanks to teh interchangeability of the VW part (except67 we all know nothing matches, heheheh) Still a nice find.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them all, I live alone and have three cars, of course the bug gets the garage! Very Happy
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. lucky CL find there!! I wish I could come across something like that!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: your score vs. rest of us hunting Reply with quote

Nice car! It sure looks to me like the turn signals are mounted just slightly further forward on the apex of the fenders than a typical '64- part of the front end work. It will easy enough to date the body- but I am hoping for early '63. All the best niceties... Maybe check all the date codes on wheels and speedo, etc.- to fill in the spaces. You've got your own "Max"- better keep it forever.

I told my wife just tonight I should have never sold the penguin (my black '61) and had to remind her, black and white outside- red on the inside...it was her favorite VW of mine as well. brad

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky find. If it came down to it, I'd keep the black even though I'm biased towards Bahama Blue.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give you $500 for either one when you decide. With engines or without.

"Have trailer, will travel"

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: