Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor cargo door lock cover and seal
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Barndoor cargo door lock cover and seal Reply with quote

Which seal is correct, top or bottom?
I would say bottom but then what is the top seal for? Incorrect reproduction?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my 54 which still has its original handle,lock cover and rubber seal in place ,i would say the raised edge seal is correct. i think the flat one is the "easy" method or reproduction but i dont know that for sure. i think WW makes the flat seal for the truck lock cover.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with MaHk on this one, raised edge seal is the type on my 1954. I'm gonna go with one of two answers on the top seal. Either a repro or possibly Barndoor Panel bezel seal. My 1953 Panel had the "truck" type bezel on it and the remains of a seal that could have been that type. It was in the desert for about 40 years so most of the rubber resembled petrified charcoal when I got it.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, I was wondering if one of these is identical to a Panelvan cargo door cover.

Top cover has 2 identical size holes. Bottom cover has a small and a large hole.

My Barndoor Single Cab has the large hole/small hole arrangement:

so it may be Single Cab as well as Panelvan.

If they are Single Cab only, I'd be curious to know when it changed to 2 big holes. I'm assuming it's post Barndoor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOS PARTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the top one looks like an incorrect quickie repro
no raised outside edge
no provisions for bezel tabs

the problem with all the NOS ones I have found, is that they have shrink problems.
so to use you will have to stretch or leave in sun before install.
it will crack after a while since under stress or stretched to fit

when I did die, I had to make die from outer edge of bezel, not from gasket dimensions. bezel sits nice on gasket, no need to stretch.

Last edited by NOS PARTS on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I was wondering if you still sell all of those parts as you have no current ad.

The one above fits perfectly with no stretching but who knows how long it would last in the sun.
NOS PARTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nop, no current ad,
I have my hands full at the moment making some new parts, dies, traveling-looking for vehicles and parts=fall-winter

Im glad the current parts list helped
Ev, thanks for the order
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an NOS cargo lock gasket, and one of David's repros, and they are impossible to tell apart. The NOS one and David's repro fit my NOS bezel exactly the same, and even feel like they are made from the same rubber. I know they are not both from David, because I have had my NOS one for a few years before David's were even available. I guess I got lucky and got an NOS one that had no shrinkage over time. The same can be said for all of the other repro gaskets I have gotten from David. Everything looks and feels awesome. Top notch reproductions. Thanks David!!!
I just hope we see that repro barndoor cargo mat one day. Maybe we can stir up enough interest that he will make some. I am definitely in for one. I know they would be expensive, but if they turn out anything like the front floor mats, it would be well worth the money. If you have one of David's front mats, and need a rear, I am sure you would be willing to buy on of his. Come on guys, who would be willing to commit? How many out there need one? What do you say David? What is the minimum number you would need pre-ordered to make the endeavor worth your time? It never hurts to ask. Very Happy

Barndoor 25hp case 20-060XXXX (June '53)
Barndoor Eberspacher gas heater. ('53-'55)
1 barndoor 16" wheel (Lemmerz dated 2/53)
NOS german 25hp/36hp oil pump
Zwitter intake manifold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53kombi wrote:

I just hope we see that repro barndoor cargo mat one day. Maybe we can stir up enough interest that he will make some. I am definitely in for one. I know they would be expensive, but if they turn out anything like the front floor mats, it would be well worth the money. If you have one of David's front mats, and need a rear, I am sure you would be willing to buy on of his. Come on guys, who would be willing to commit? How many out there need one? What do you say David? What is the minimum number you would need pre-ordered to make the endeavor worth your time? It never hurts to ask. Very Happy

hate to say it but i think you and i are the only ones willing to spend what it might take to have the repop cargo mat.
i keep nudging/checking up on David occasionally but i understand his side of what the hold up is.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right Mark, but I figured it couldn't hurt to stir the pot a little in this forum. People might come out of the woodwork, the way barndoors have been lately. With the money that people are spending on buying and repairing barndoors these days, you would think that plenty of the mats would sell. Of course, I am not trying to say that it is an easy task to accomplish for David, even if all of the necessary interest was there. I know the dies would be huge and expensive to make, store and transport. Maybe one day......I'm willing to beg if it helps the cause Laughing

Barndoor 25hp case 20-060XXXX (June '53)
Barndoor Eberspacher gas heater. ('53-'55)
1 barndoor 16" wheel (Lemmerz dated 2/53)
NOS german 25hp/36hp oil pump
Zwitter intake manifold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been attempted over a year ago and the response wasnt very well...
but as you stated, more BDs have been dug up since and possibly more people interested.
one thing i never did get around to was checking with the UK guys. but then i wonder if they would want to bother with shipping costs as that mammoth probably wouldnt be cheap to ship overseas.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222018&highlight=

Whaaaaat?
NOS PARTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny, Mark
thanks for taking turns at stirring the pot
as I have told both of you, is not an item Im not interested in making
I have done some thinking, some drawings, research on press and mats/samples on hand
if doing BD rear mat, I can make rear mat for all buses til 67=as orig in 1 piece, no seams
I have my hands full at the moment with some other projects, parts and relocating

about the only set back is the machine shop time, machine to make such die and to move die around
it takes 8 people to move BD front mat die or 4 people to carry each half or set up in press
the rear mat die will be a fork lift only to move around machine shop, or to set up in press

as I told you both, I can guesstimate $800-900 for ea. rear BD mat, about $400-500 for up to 67
basically with 200 mats min. run on BD rear mat and 400-500 min. on up to 67
I will need to buy a press, since no place/shop will set up that die to press less than 1000 mats

petepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor cargo door lock cover and seal Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Which seal is correct, top or bottom?
I would say bottom but then what is the top seal for? Incorrect reproduction?

Does anyone know where you can buy these seals? Having trouble tracking them down... Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: