Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My stereo came on when I slammed the door...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: My stereo came on when I slammed the door... Reply with quote

which was, you know, startling. it also came on the other day when i had the main battery ground wire off and reconnected it. that scared the crap out of me when the radio started blaring. i'm already jumpy around things that can shock me.

i don't have an auxiliary battery, and i put the head unit in as simply as it can go in. it can be turned off and on without the key so nothing that i know of changed from the stock arrangement.

any ideas why this would happen or what i need to fix?

many thanks for any help.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your talking about, Head Phones? Or hard wired Speakers on a Amp or just a Receiver Player Radio. But Modern electronics is sometimes sensitive to jumps in Voltage. You may need to find some kind of RF filter for the 12 volt power to your unit.
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just the head unit playing as if i turned it on manually with the power button. it just plays the radio through the speakers like when you turn your stereo on when you get in the van.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it working normally the rest of the time?

Are the speaker wires shot and when you close the door, it's suddenly making a connection for the door speakers? I only had one working door speaker when I got my Vanagon.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to close the door, rather than slam it. That said, the stereo circuit might also be on the same circuit as your domelight or key buzzer. The switch is in the door jam. The driver's side switch is dual purpose.
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think when i closed the door (it was the slider) it knocked the unattached ground wire to the main battery into contact with the ground on the battery. the stereo doesn't have a dedicated off position, you press a button for it to come on. so i think it's default is to be on when it gets power, which would explain both scenarios. pretty sure this is it, thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: