Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

Thanks John, that clarifies a few things. I got the car from Lind in Idaho, he was a great help in getting the car here and with the 55 details. I will start a thread with pics when they finally unload the container, it's been sitting at the port for two weeks now. There is plenty to do but as you said it's a 55...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
This from nov 1955...

I found m018 here on this site thankyou! Would it be safe to say that with the glass and lights it was bound for USA?

Does anyone know anything about the distribution centre? I did a google search and came up empty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is this Karmann ?

pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

I did research on the M-codes for lowlight some years ago. This is what I found out (think it is!) and I have also published it on my kglowlightregistry site

Currently know option codes used on Lowlights:

M001: Cannot be identified: Mentioned on Belgium made coupe with VIN 1753160
M018: Larger reflector in brake / indicator light (see for example the birth certificate from Tomas)
M020: Mph speedometer (see juni 1958 parts manual p9-2Cool
M067: 77Ah battery, 6v (see for example the birth certificate from shane 57)
M076: Headland for Holland only (see juni 1958 parts manual p9-07)
M124: Headland for France only (see juni 1958 parts manual p9-07 and p9-0Cool
M128: White wall tires. (see for example the birth certificate from Laurens)
M138: Mounting Assembly for Sealed Beam Headlamps (see juni 1958 parts manual p9-07, p9-08, p9-09, p9-19, p9-20 and p9-30)
M139: Sealed Beam Headlamps (see juni 1958 parts manual p9-09)
M157: Unknown (might be an electric windshield washer set up) , mentioned on Bernina blue convertible with VIN 1999690 and VIN red coupe with VIN 2078020
M355: US Equipment (see for example the birth certificate from Laurens)
M473: Cannot be identified: Mentioned on Belgium made coupe with VIN 1753160

M577: Top Light grey (Option on L41 Black and L428 Graphite Silver convertible's)
M578: Top Black (Option on all convertibles)
M579: Top Light-Green (Option on Amazon green convertibles)
M580: Top Sahara-Beige (Option on Colorado Red convertibles
M581: Top Texas Brown (Option on Diamond grey convertibles)
M582: Top Blue (Option for Bernina blue convertible)

M584: Cannot be identified (mentioned on Graphide silver convertible)
M585: Upholstery Leather and Polster Red Brown (Option for Black and Pearl White convertibles)
M586: Upholstery Leather and Polster Green Grey (Option for Amazon Green convertibles)
M587: Upholstery Leather and Polster Light Beige (Option for Colorado Red convertibles)
M588: Upholstery Leather and Polster Brown (Option for Graphite Silver convertibles)
M589: Upholstery Leather and Polster Honey Brown (Option for Diamond Grey convertibles)
M590: Upholstery Leather and Polster Blue (Option for Bernina Blue convertibles)

M593: Upholstery full Leatherette Red Brown (Option on Black and Pearl White convertibles)
M594: Upholstery full Leatherette Green Grey (Option on Amazone Green convertibles)
M595: Upholstery full Leatherette Light Beige (option for Colorado Red convertibles)
M596: Upholstery full Leatherette Honey Brown (option for Diamond Grey convertibles)
M597: Upholstery full Leatherette Blue (option for Bernina Blue convertible)
M598: Upholstery cannot be identified

M950: Laminated Glass Windshield (see juni 1958 parts manual p8-41)
M951: Exterior Rear-View Mirror (see juni 1958 parts manual p8-51 and p8-52)
M952: Bumper Overrider Bars (see juni 1958 parts manual p7-04, p7-05, p7-06, p7-07, p7-08, p7-09, p7-10 and p7-11)
M958: Cannot be identified, Probably steering damper
M986: Cannot be indentified on a 59 Coupe with VIN 2406329
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

Quote:
It is this Karmann ?

Yes same car, Lind did a little work on it and paint scraping since that photo, couple of pics of car at the shippers, I will start a thread when I get to unload the container and parts.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

M Code
M 113 Safety system for Canadian market

Is the A 03, S 707 regarding the motor details?
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

camfella04 wrote:
M Code
M 113 Safety system for Canadian market
Is the A 03, S 707 regarding the motor details?

The S707 is may be for Spécial sales campaign ?

For the beetle typ 113/133/153/1303 the Mcode M113 is for CANADA
Safety belt warning system

For typ 171/173 Compliance with exhaust emission standards for CANADA
For typ 211/274 Hinged windshields for export market

Not mentioned for type 141/143/142/144 in my data book
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

This polar blue '63 cabrio is up for auction, comes with an interesting piece of Karmann factory paperwork listing some M code info ( well I thought it was interesting Laughing )

Link to auction if anyones fancies a project- https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0817-294891/1963-volkswagen-karmann-ghia/
Fonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: M Codes Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
Mine is an Australian delivery early 1963 model (built 25/10/62)

M009 Yellow tail lights
M020 MPH speedo
M108 Custom Model
M187 Headlamps for left-hand traffic (ie RHD)
M554 Upholstery Leatherette Red
M008 Cannot be identified

Love to know what the M008 is. I don't think there was a lot of variation in specifications of the Australian delivery cars - there weren't that many of them. Basically a RHD euro-spec car.

Angus

I can help with this as I have recently received the certificate for my Australian delivered Ghia, (built 14th July 1960) which includes:

M008 - Without battery
M009 - Yellow tail lights
M020 - MPH speedometer
M108 - Can not be identified

So it seems they found M008 but lost M108. 😄 I wonder what was custom about the latter.

Last edited by Fonz on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

In addition, I’m assuming that because mine doesn’t have any mention of the M187 RHD headlight option, that it was probably fitted with the earlier V lenses. Still need to find out when that change occurred.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: If you have a Ghia Birth Certificate List your M codes here. Reply with quote

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: