Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Big plus to having a non working thermostat and timer only at the same time is you never overheated the heater Wink

It’s nice to cook the innards now and then though, gets it all nice n clean.

I ran mine with the heat sensor out of the airflow for the first few weeks, and was much happier with the interior temps then after I put in in properly. Course it always 20* out when I was doing that so more heat was always better Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zaidigonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get a BA6 overheat switch?
Mine fried and now heater will run until the fuse on the main fuse box melts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

https://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/transporter-t25...992-n38258

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zaidigonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks!!
82bessieblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm in the process of restoring my BA6 heater. I took the combustion blower fan off and cleaned the points, did a bench test as recommended, as well as cleaned the points. I have good continuity at the points and exit terminal on the side of the blower fan housing. I reinstalled the blower fan, turned on, and can hear the fan running as well as the ticking of the fuel pump. But, no fire. After awhile I started smelling gas fumes so I switched off the heater. After doing some research, I figured it may be a bad spark plug. I removed the plug and checked it for continuity as Jason shows in his video, and sure enough, it appears the plug is bad. After a quick search for a plug, looks like they're in short supply these days! Any idea where I could find one? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Google Beru GZE - any of them with the grounding tab needed for the BA6 will work.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03LkQMdWA...mp;bih=937

Even the GZE 201&202 will work.

https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/beru-glow-plug-11volts-type-gze201.html

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82bessieblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Just out of curiosity, when I go to wire up the new one, does it matter which wire connector goes to which tab? Or are they interchangeable like the fuel pump?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Check with a meter to confirm neither has continuity to the shell, if one does that's got to be the ground or there will be smoke. Or if both do the one with the higher Ohms is +.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

82bessieblue wrote:
Great! Thanks for the tip!

Just out of curiosity, when I go to wire up the new one, does it matter which wire connector goes to which tab? Or are they interchangeable like the fuel pump?

No they are not interchangeable. One is ground and one is positive.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
82bessieblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Sounds good, thanks for the tips! Got a Beru GZE 13 2-prong on the way, should be here this weekend. Fingers crossed!
82bessieblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Well I received the plug today and got it installed and she fired right up!! I was amazed by the amount of heat this thing puts out in a short period of time! Its a game changer! No more freezing toes and hands driving in the winter!

It smelled a bit like burnt oil when it fired up, but I'm sure years of carbon/oil leak residue is attributing to that, I imagine it will burn off some over time.

I do have a question though - I understand the heater runs off a timer when the engine is off. But when the engine is running and you're driving down the road, what is the best way to adjust the heat? Using the eberspacher dash control knob or the general air/duct slider (sorry not sure about the proper term for that)?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Using the knob for the heater. Further clockwise - longer duration - hotter temps. Further anti-clockwise - lesser duration - cooler temps.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Great thread! I am starting to lurk on the idea of a BA6 install in my 76 westy. I am curious after seeing some mention of them, am I right that there is a specific belly pan for the heater install and if so is it required?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

It's a protective shield, and if VW put it there it's needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

All Buses with a BA6 have the protection pan.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick and informative replies!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:

Did the Vanagon with the BA6 run a protection pan?

Mine did not, and it never seemed to be problematic, even when I ran it through a Minnesota winter.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

I am almost certain it did.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

I would run that shield even if I didnt have the heater under there. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:

Did the Vanagon with the BA6 run a protection pan?

Mine did not, and it never seemed to be problematic, even when I ran it through a Minnesota winter.

I have a Vanagon protection pan leaned up against my house that Stuart accidentally left here. So I can at least tell you they exist.

I would say the heater can certainly funciton without a shield, but if nothing else, the shield protects the heater body from potential rock being kicked up and all that, and also provides a good degree of splash protection.

As far as the splash protection, you'd then have somewhat more potential to have occasional issues related to wiring connectors getting corroded and that kind of thing.

If it were me, and I had a full heating system minus the pan, I'd still run it. But I'd also look for a pan and/or look into making one. I made a protective "pan" for the Espar heater I've got installed under my bus out of some kind of sheet plastic I found at the local box home parts store.

(There's also a Bus BA6 pan leaning against my house, that I may cut to size to replace the plastic pan at some point, primarily for cleaner looks. The back end of it is rusted so I wouldn't feel bad about that.)

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: