Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

rickshak wrote:
Your posting was excellent and will help me immensely. Thanks

That's my vid btw....that's more info I didn't post on YouTube Wink hope my vid helps ya out too!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Got a few things left to do....but she runs so the hard part is done Cool

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Link

Ba6 installed!!

Need to strap in the fan, fuel pump, and the coil, run a intake hose for the trigger fan, and run a 3"/2" coupler to the rear seat intake tube I'm gonna use for my recirculated air intake. Next I'll need to bolt it in, and fix a couple tubes for routing air....then just tee into the gas line and it'll actually be ready to go and drive with it Very Happy

Im so glad that BA6 ended up with someone who actually installed it! Good luck with buttoning up the remaining bits.

Did you end up using those cut outs from the donor floor for the mounts on the belly?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to mess with it since I tested it, but yes I will be using them! Got a chance to play with a few ba6's now and know where everything is supposed to go, so once I get a chance I'll definitely be using them! Waiting for the rain to stop for a day ...

Should have my frame aligned mid January if all goes well, so I'm aiming to have it done by then at least so I can blast the heater in this semi frigid weather Smile

I almost didn't get it done...this ba6 and my tent nearly both went up for sale ...decided on just the tent once jason let me see what his could do...couldn't say no to a snowy day in the bus headed down a mountain with my tee shirt on and not worrying about a foggy window!!! Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

How does the air flow/volume with the BA6 running compare with, say, the engine idling but hot, and the booster fan turned on? (Like at a stop light.) How about with driving down the highway?

Is the big benefit just from hotter air coming out of the vents, or do you end up with a higher volume too?

I'm debating on whether to cut my '73 for one. While driving the other day, I decided it seemed like the biggest issue was hot air flow into the bus.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
How does the air flow/volume with the BA6 running compare with, say, the engine idling but hot, and the booster fan turned on? (Like at a stop light.) How about with driving down the highway?

Is the big benefit just from hotter air coming out of the vents, or do you end up with a higher volume too?

I'm debating on whether to cut my '73 for one. While driving the other day, I decided it seemed like the biggest issue was hot air flow into the bus.

As a clarifying point, I am struggling to see if/how the fan that comes with the BA6 could/would provide extra air flow, and wondering if something less intrusive like a blower under the front floor would get me most of the way there. The BA6 fan is very similar in size/build to the booster fan.

I suppose the advantage(s) of the BA6 blower over the factory booster (even if they are the same size and all) is that it isn't pushing through the exchangers and as much ductwork and also has the recirculation feature.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

It doesn't have to blow through my leaky heat exchangers, which makes a huge difference. If it was totally sealed up like tootype2crazy did with his heater, then it would be quite similar to the booster fan. However, the recirc definitely helps get it warmer faster.

As far as heat it's something like stock heater puts out 5000 btus on a great day, and at the top end a ba6 in use with the stock heater can hit up to 55k btus. Don't hold me to those number bus that'll give you an idea

When we took my buddies ba6 bus snowboarding, the cabin was 65-70 in about 5 minutes, well before the engine got warm. Highly worth it.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart for that.

My exchangers aren't leaky, and when I installed the motor last fall, I sealed all the gaps I could with high temp RTV too.

Could you (or someone else who has one) measure the air temps coming out of the front vent and/or dash vent after the BA6 has been up and running for a bit?

Thanks!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Notchboy can...with that kick ass camera Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

I played with my infrared thermometer, and a meat thermometer today.

After driving the bus a bit, and in my driveway idling, I measured the outside of the heater tree at about 160. Same with the heat vents in the middle and back, both also very close to 160.

The pipe up from the heat exchanger to the on/off valve was right at 200.

It's about 55 outside.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

The benefits are:
Hotter instant air
Constant Hot air vs dependant on engine rpm
Not dependant on air flow from heat exchangers (especially if leaky) and having the engine running! Perfect for a camper.

It's my next project to do on my Westy this spring. I have been restoring hte parts slowly.....
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Got some knowledge for y'all...

Vanagon and bay harnesses are slightly different... Here's the first of the things I noticed, the harness being the first of a few small changes throughout the setup.

I later noticed that the thermostat output temp sensor is a different size on the ends, but both work. I'll post most pics when I fully remove the Vanagon one to install the bay harness and such.

Link

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

So I decided to do some comparisons as I swapped my whole ba6 out for a bay version Wink gonna actually get the new used unit out and make it work later, and put the swole bay unit into a bay and Vanagon into my Vanagon...Wink go figure...

The first:

Link

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Harness:

Link

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Trying to get all the pics uploaded but taking forever...once they get uploaded then interested parties can find them under a search for BA6 posted by me. I'm not gonna post it all here. Basically pics of the stuff in the videos.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Gonna pass along my spare parts...2 full setups essentially. Missing 2-4 things but enough to make what you need work!

Check my ads

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

That heater will considerably up your chances with random Bay women who cruise through your domain, Stuart

Bravo Zulu
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

True.

I have mine and the knowledge so what do I need the 2 extra sets for? Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That heater will considerably up your chances with random Bay women who cruise through your domain, Stuart

Bravo Zulu

Ahhhh. Now I completly understand why you broke that cute girls combustion fan! Shocked

You clever little shit you. Wink Applause Dancing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L51C_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Hello, New Westy owner here, great thread with lots of great info, pictures and videos. I am hoping to get the heater in my 77 functional again, and was able to pick up a mint BA6 complet with harness from an 84 Vanagon. My plan was to use this heater for parts, but based on the condition of it, I may just swap it in directly into my Bus instead. I did notice something different though on the combustion blower from the vanagon, it has a ground wire coming out of the top of the rubber boot, and the Vanagon harness does not appear to have a ground in the harness at the round connector with the 4 pins. Has anyone seen a combustion blower like this before? Here is a link to new one like mine below.
https://goo.gl/images/8Xg9M4
I am assuming I should be able to just swap the Vanagon heater straight over and use my existing 77 harness?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater FAQ Reply with quote

Weird. I knew there were a few slight differences in the two heaters, but that is not one I was aware of. I thought they were primarily how the airflow was ducted, and how the wiring interfaced with the heat controls up front. I wonder if that was an "extra" ground perhaps?

The other plug appears to be the same, perhaps all four contacts are still used, meaning you could plug your harness into it and go. The best way to tell for sure would be to test each pin with a multimeter and check for the same function.

It may be overall less work to diagnose what is in the bus and just replace the faulty component(s), and keep the rest as spares.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: