Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adjust-a-jet for a Solex 34 carb ?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
F1CHRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: adjust-a-jet for a Solex 34 carb ? Reply with quote

I made a post on the performance section, but saw this new section and thought maybe someone here would know.

My old-school buddy swears that he has seen one before. We are forced to run this carb and have to make a lot of elevation changes (zero to 10,000 ft. high) and such a thing sure would help !

Thanks ! Very Happy
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I should post this here or in your other thread, but for a manually adjustable jet, yes they did sell them. I have one around somewhere, a few months ago I took this picture of it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, in my Gallery, is a series of scans from a JCWhitney catalog from 1973. A similar version to the jet shown above, I believe is shown for sale on page 130. But here's a larger version of that ad:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330902
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to see an NOS one - lots better shape than mine is! I'd just taken mine apart earlier today to see if it was gunked up inside or not. The internal O-ring fell apart on me. I was taking some photos of it, it's cool to see one all the way together. I guess mine must be missing a cap on the end? I knew it needed at least an O-ring on the end (and now, one inside it as well) I'm not sure what or if I'm missing something other than an O-ring on the end of mine. Looking at that other one, it appears so, but mine could have been a revised design too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Cool to see an NOS one - lots better shape than mine is! I'd just taken mine apart earlier today to see if it was gunked up inside or not. The internal O-ring fell apart on me. I was taking some photos of it, it's cool to see one all the way together. I guess mine must be missing a cap on the end? I knew it needed at least an O-ring on the end (and now, one inside it as well) I'm not sure what or if I'm missing something other than an O-ring on the end of mine. Looking at that other one, it appears so, but mine could have been a revised design too.

From the photo of the jet installed I'd say all it's missing is an o-ring on the end, since there's a lip on the end that looks like it would retain a seal. It looks like a revised design or a different model. I also noticed that the drawings and photos in the paperwork that came with my jet and in the J.C. Whitney ad show a tension spring instead of a lock nut, so it looks like there may have been other design revisions.

I can post the instructions in the gallery if it would be of help to anyone.

BTW, mine's not NOS, there's evidence it was used for awhile. The o-rings are shot too, but not quite as far gone as yours. Wink

I'd like to find a "73-1851" for an earlier carb.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: