Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is this relay and where does this wire go?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: what is this relay and where does this wire go? Reply with quote

I'm having some electrical issues in my 82 Diesel so I decided to clean all the grounds on the two blocks under the dash before I go any further. I see that this wire is loose from something( it's the fatter one coming out the bottom center of the relay) and obviously want to put it back. I'm just awful( but trying) when it comes to reading the wiring diagram in the Bentley. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

82 Diesel Westy
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: relay Reply with quote

What are the numbers on the relay? That might give some indication of where the wires go. Can you trace any of the wires to the relay?

Ed in CT
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really see where the wires are going but I did pull the relay and the part # is 171 937 503 SJR. the #'s by the spades are 30, 86, 87, and 85.
12volt 40 amp.

82 Diesel Westy
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this relay and where does this wire go? Reply with quote

Looks like the radiator fan high speed relay.

Mark

Home Team Van wrote:
I'm having some electrical issues in my 82 Diesel so I decided to clean all the grounds on the two blocks under the dash before I go any further. I see that this wire is loose from something( it's the fatter one coming out the bottom center of the relay) and obviously want to put it back. I'm just awful( but trying) when it comes to reading the wiring diagram in the Bentley. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Crazy. If I'm reading the Bentley correctly(97.40) this loose red wire(12g) which is connected at bottom of the relay with a blue/red wire would connect to the back of the fuse panel #7?

82 Diesel Westy
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: relay Reply with quote

Whatever it is, it is a basic single pole, single throw relay that gives power to one thing when some other circuit has power.

30 is from the battery, 86 is the trigger wire, 85 is ground, and 87 is the "out" so that when 86 is live, it connects 30 and 87.

If it is a relay without a resistor, the polarity doesn't matter, so 30 and 87; and 85 and 86 can sometimes be reversed.

Edit- I just had one other thought- You could just connect the wires from terminals 30 and 87 and see what comes on. (Might be the two heaviest wires- both red?) Now, I'd be cautious because you don't know what it controls. If for some reason someone put a starter relay there, it might engage your starter, or who knows what, but if you put it in neutral, set the parking brake, and listen as you touch the two wires together, you might hear or see something come on. If it is indeed a radiator fan high speed relay, you'll hear it come on.

Ed
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is right. The red wire is power for high speed fan, from fuse #7, same side of #7 as a red/black wire of same size that powers low speed fan. One concern is that the large brown wire you showed unplugged is possibly the ground wire for both speeds of the fan so the fan would then not work at all until that is connected.

Mark

Home Team Van wrote:
thanks Crazy. If I'm reading the Bentley correctly(97.40) this loose red wire(12g) which is connected at bottom of the relay with a blue/red wire would connect to the back of the fuse panel #7?
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark and Ed- thanks to both of you. Mark, the loose wire was the red wire not the brown one. It's now connected back at the fuse box and I can here the fan come on. Now, I can get back to my OTHER electrical issues. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in.

82 Diesel Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: