Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help in seattle...newb needs a hand please!generator problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Help in seattle...newb needs a hand please!generator problem Reply with quote

hey volks! this nice woman posted an ad on craigslist and i directed her here, she placed an ad in the classifieds but i feel she'd be more likely to receive a hand if this was posted here. she has link to this, thank you everyone!!!!

A couple of VW places we spoke to want around $430 - $480 to do an alternator job. They say it takes 2-3 hours total. I placed an ad on craigslist trying to see if there was anyone in our area who fixes these on the side and that could do the job for less. I got some people responding stating it's an easy job and only takes 30 minutes to drop the engine. Another nice person suggested I place an ad here. This poor car has been sitting since March because it only runs on the battery. We had it tested to confirm the alternator issue. Our soon-to-be 18 year-old son chose this but hasn't been able to learn how to drive it yet. My husband is convinced this is over his head, but he did totally build his own 1969 standard bug from the ground up when he was younger, and is totally willing to help. Price is negotiable. We can take the alternator to "The Rebuilder" in Kent after it's removed. He can have it rebuilt in one hour.
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll also ask the first question do you have an alternator or a generator?

how do you tell? a gen is just straight tube and a alternator has a step in it. Wink
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he rebuilt a car from the ground up, then wats the problem with replacing the alternator or generator?

It is not that hard of a procedure. Pull the old on off and install a new or good used one.

Go buy a HotVW magazine and look at the vendor pages, there are many companies that sell alternators and generators.

The only thing that is 'over your head' is what you let it be. Some people can't even change a tire, it is over their head....granted, this is a little more involved than changing a spare tire but it is not that much more difficult. You don't even have to drop the engine to do the replacement.

Remove the four 10 mm bolts from the face plate, remove the two screws on the sides of the fan housing (if they are still there), disconnect the thermostate actuator rod (if it is still there), disconnect the throttle cable at the carburetor, disconnect the wire between the coil and distributor (spark wire), disconnect and lable the wires to the alt/gen, lift the fan shroud up until you can slide the generator/alterntor/fan assembly out. Oh, dont forget to undo the strap holding the gen/alt to the stand and the fan belt.

The hard part is getting the fan nut off. It is a 30 mm or 36 mm and spins right off with an air wrench. Keep track of the washers and such and in what order they are in. Once the fan nut is off there are two screws holding the face plate onto the gen/alt.

Reassembly and installation is the reverse order.

Yes, it is easier if the engine is dropped but not impossible. It is even eaiser if you have one of those EMPI or SCAT early looking shrouds.

Take some picutures and start posting your questions. The folks on here will help.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chunkamuffinsgrandma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your instruction/guidance and questions! We have an alternator, not a generator, is what my husband's uncle told us. He's been rebuilding VW's in Port Angeles for years, so that much we know. I have much faith that my husband can do it, he doesn't have the confidence because he's only changed one with the engine pre-installed, and is certain he would have to drop the engine to do this alternator job. He's very handy around the house and he can also work on our cars some, like tune-ups, oil changes, some brake jobs, etc. All this nice feedback I'm getting will help him. Heck, I'll also help do the job, and so will our soon-to-be 18 year-old son. It will be fun! Thanks!!
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunkamuffinsgrandma wrote:
.....He's very handy around the house and he can also work on our cars some, like tune-ups, oil changes, some brake jobs, etc. All this nice feedback I'm getting will help him. Heck, I'll also help do the job, and so will our soon-to-be 18 year-old son. It will be fun! Thanks!!

It can be done with the engine in the car. I did forget that you will need to remove the decklid (10mm screws). Can't remember if I had to take the carburetor off or not but it is only two 13 mm nuts.

You should consider purchasing a Bentley shop manual. If you want some easy reading or a good beginner mechanic type book then buy the "How to keep your VW alive for the complete idiot" by John Muir book.

As said before, the hardest part you are going to have it getting the fan nut off unless you have a large socket (time to go to Sears and buy some tools) or know someone that does.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chunkamuffinsgrandma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: alternator replacement job in process Reply with quote

Hey Mark! Thanks to your detailed direction on how to remove the alternator without taking the engine out, my husband did it!!! It took an hour to remove it. We had it rebuilt and he started re-installing it last night. The trouble he ran into was getting the fan shroud to seat back down on both sides properly. Not sure if there's a trick, or just because it was dark and hard to see? Anyway, REALLY appreciate the feedback!!
Very Happy
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator replacement job in process Reply with quote

chunkamuffinsgrandma wrote:
Hey Mark! Thanks to your detailed direction on how to remove the alternator without taking the engine out, my husband did it!!! It took an hour to remove it. We had it rebuilt and he started re-installing it last night. The trouble he ran into was getting the fan shroud to seat back down on both sides properly. Not sure if there's a trick, or just because it was dark and hard to see? Anyway, REALLY appreciate the feedback!!
Very Happy

It helps to have about 4 hands. In each of the hands you will need something like a putty knife. Then the other two hands holding the shroud can lower it down. In the absence of hands, profanity does not work but does ease the tension abit.

You just have to play with it a bit to get the shrouds to cooperate.

I told you that you can do it. Smile
writerlady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a shop in Kent that runs a forum of mostly local folks - www.franklinsvwwerks.com

You can get help there, and often find people willing to show up and help out. I go by writerlady on that forum as well.

Welcome to the slippery slope of VW ownership - very addictive!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chunkamuffinsgrandma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the fan shroud is now replaced and everything is put back together. But now the car won't start. The battery tries to turn over, but then drains out. The battery is newer and had plenty of charge in it, as we would start the bug and run it for 2-5 minutes before we replaced the alternator, and we would do that once a week.
So, now we're not sure what's going on. We can take the battery down to get it tested. But we have no clue why suddenly it won't work. We trickle charged the battery overnite and it didn't help.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure voltage at battery after 10 seconds whilecranking (or trying); if voltage is 9.6 or less, check/repalce the battery.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
chunkamuffinsgrandma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, so the rebuilt alternator is installed and the car's put back together. We took the new battery down to Schuck's and they were able to charge it. We've only had it since 05/23/08 and it's an 84-month battery. So the car starts and runs, but it doesn't idle very well. After a bit when you push on the accelerator, it cuts out and dies, like the gas isn't getting there. We put a rebuilt carburetor in it that someone gave us last year. And before we replaced the alternator we put in a new voltage regulator as that one had blown. That was the same time we bought the battery. Not sure if we should give up and take this to the shop, or anymore ideas from you fabulous vw people? Thanks! We're hoping to get this running by Christmas for our son. We live in Auburn. Smile
writerlady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you have some gunk in the gas? Maybe dump some gas treatment in and see what happens.

I find if "George" sits for several days - especially in this cold weather we've had lately, he doesn't want to stay running at idle. After several minutes of driving, he settles - I believe I have a sticky float, but can't do much about it until my neck heals (sigh)

Kat

The best shop around is Oval's in Federal Way, owned by Fred and Faith. I bought my 68 from them last year. 253-952-7115 We take it to them for any repairs we can't handle here. They are really wonderful at diagnostics and won't charge you an arm and a leg - maybe they can tell you what is wrong, and you can decide if you want to fix it or let them. I have a tow bar you can borrow if you need one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chunkamuffinsgrandma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, we're having quite the ordeal with this. The alternator is rebuilt and replaced now, we had the battery tested and it needed to be charged so Shucks charged it. We replaced the voltage regulator earlier this year. So the car started running, but there's times when you push on the gas that it's like the gas isn't going anywhere and it dies. Then it will restart roughly and go a bit but then do it again. Suddenly the headlights wouldn't work so we checked the fuse and it was blown. We put a new fuse in and now the car won't start at all! I had just started it 15 minutes before we changed the fuse. It definitely seems like something is shorting out and/or draining the battery. We purchased a VW manual for Christmas. We keep troubleshooting but can't seem to get it right. All we want to do is get it working so we can drive it! Ugh! Smile Happy New Year everyone! You've been a great help and are really nice people!
Slow6t5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like timing. When was the last time the timing/dwell/valves/points were done?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont have to remove fan housing to change gen/alt.or deck lid.
RichG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the guys at Oval's Motorsports in Federal Way. They are die hard VW people. I've bought a ton of stuff from them and had some work done there. They were always honest with me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: