Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How long will the 2.1 wbx last ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamin87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought my first Westy, an 87 with 160,000 miles. It runs great, and I find the power to be sufficient for what I intend to use it for, which is weekend/weeklong getaways in the New England area where I live. If anything happens on a trip, I can have it towed back home. I understand for those going cross country/out of country the peace of mind of having a rebuilt or conversion is nice. But, I would like to get as much life out of the engine as possible while understanding that the day for a rebuild will eventually come. My fear is that if I will wait too long, I may blow a rod thus reducing the core exchange value of my engine or eliminating the possibility of having my own engine rebuilt. Is this fear warranted? I plan on installing an OP gauge. I've had the van looked at by a VW mechanic (I am not yet mechanically inclined but learning lots from reading the Samba). The van came out with flying colors, all the red flag items that should be replaced with the vanagon had. So my question is, to be reactive and wait for the engine to die, possibly blow a rod, or be proactive by spending money on a rebuild while my core is still intact?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only predictable difference is the price of the core engine if you trash your case and crank. Anywhere from $600 to $1000 would have to be added to the cost of the rebuild. The upside of that is you save the cost of return shipping. But then that get's offset some by eating the crate deposit some vendors like myself and GW charge. If you're in love with your original engine serial number then that may have value to you, too, which would be forfeit if you chuck a rod. Otherwise, if you're not afraid of being stranded on the highway some day, and can bear the additional costs should that day come, then drive on!

If you add an OP gauge and make sure your dynamic OP warning system works as it should, then there's a really good chance you'll see the failure coming, if it ever does, just before it's too late and have that critical few seconds to shut it down and coast off to the shoulder.

The problem is, as the 2.1's age, the OP buzzer gives lots of nuisance warnings, as you power down off the freeway for instance, so more and more the driver ignores it. But if it ever comes on when under load, you need to understand the difference and shut it down immediately. Not to do so is the thousand-dollar mistake. Hopefully the wife isn't driving it on the day!

Of course with the added core charges you would face if you do blow it up, the conversions become that much more attractive. C'est la vie. Like our buddy Ben says, it's all good.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright ten cent no worries sorry I'm not much of an engine guy but if I understand correctly a better breathing functioning motor should put the dreaded yearly etest worries to rest?

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage wrote:
Do you have a fav parts list for the conversion you would like to share?

You pretty much have to buy an adapter if you have an automatic, or a bellhousing if you have a manual. I would also think most would want to buy the engine mounts and the exhaust headers. Most of the rest can be fabricated easily enough. I tried to buy everything in one place and ended up with a bunch of stuff that must have been discards. I had to send the flex plate adapter back to Kennedy to have it machined correctly and while the tolerances where off a bit on the engine mounts though they were usable with minor Dremel work. The pickup tube was screwed and I returned it and made my own while the oil pan leaked in a weld and of course this wasn't noticeable until the engine was in and running. The throttle adapter was junk and got thrown out and I made my own much stronger one in minutes. The heater return pipe didn't have clearance against something so again it got shit canned and I fabbed my own. That only leaves a couple of other parts that I could have made from scratch easily enough. As for the hoses, one wasn't correct so I had to hit my local NAPA to find something that would work.

The way I look at it I made most every thing anyway excepting the adapter, mounts, and exhaust so that is all I will buy if I ever do it again. Someone should come up with cardboard pattern for cutting and rewelding the reverse coolant manifold and a few of the other parts. Most pieces can be turned out easily enough so you can save on shipping and not have to deal with cores.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very entertaining thread!

I never had the chance to deal with tencentlife but Ben has been kind enough to salvage the WBX in my engine a few years ago. I am really grateful of the wonderful job he did.

Funny thing is, at that time Ben was not at all convinced in a Subaru conversion....remember Ben?

Smile

But things have changed.

Both of you guys have great arguments.

Tencentlife, you are absolutely right about people bashing the WBX not realising they've got 160k miles out of it...most Subaru engine will also need work by then.
I share a shop with some Subaru conversion hardcore enthusiasts and I guarantee I have seen several issues with these engines too - mostly head gaskets on 2.2l.

Just one example amongst others - apparently the Subaru flywheel has a different weight than the Vanagon flywheel which in some cases is blamed for making it difficult to adjust the idle speed on a Subaru conversion.
Some people also have issues with using the Vanagon starter with the Subaru - noone seems exactly sure why.

With the current adapter kit you reuse the Vanagon flywheel. SmallCar just came out with a bellhousing that will allow you to use the Subaru flywheel/starter - which I think is the solution to this problem.

http://smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=183

I guess my point is that it's never black or white.

As for me, up to very recently I was convinced to keep the WBX. Now I am not so sure anymore. I do think you can get a really good and reliable WBX if you ensure all the surrounding components are fine.

However, the power, the bandwitdh, RPM and the sound of the Subaru is VERY attractive...and the potential for modifications is quasi unlimited...

just listen to this...

Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxPBNev3MK0

Costwise, the difference is not as big as I had first imagined. A good WBX is going to be $3500 if you want it perfect.

I do all the work myself so labor is not counted.
I have priced all the parts from SmallCar and if I can find a good 2.5 with wiring/ECU I think I can keep it below $5000.

I am planning to start gathering the parts for the conversion slowly next year while the good old WBX is running...

Smile
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, good thing you use the world "Salvage" Smile Mr. now living in California

Just to show only one picture:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Something that most US mechanic won't see often)

Maybe this is one reason i had to find "Solutions/options"

Your right about what i thought about Subi at the time, i had seen my share of shitty conversion. And no, at the time i would never had gone this way.

I like perfection and perfection take time to elaborate, and i didn't have the free time. I barely have it today.

By the way, i don't know how your neighbour butcher the conversion Smile but the adaptor plate should come with a mating flywheel.

I don't like the Kennedy engine mounts.... anyway, we make out own now.

As for Wildthings, if you ever want a brand new solid 1/8 thick powder coated, non leaking and solide shorten oil pan, contact me in private. You will get something fully tested and perfectly welded with an new oil pickup design that as no welding or joint.

This is a well done and non butchered reverse coolant manifold done the right way (thanks to Hans from Vanaru)

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
If i didn't care about low budget folks i would not be here... and i would not have a 2 gig web site

Ben, all the information and videos on your site gave me the confidence to do a top end rebuild on my 1.9. So thank you very much for the wonderfull resource. Tencentlife also helped me with answers to my questions. It is amaizing to have people whith your experience (and others on the SAMBA) answer my technical questions.

Now I'm into rebuilding my spare 2.1 that I just split last weekend...I hope to post pics, and ask questions on that one later. I found a few surprise "spare parts" Shocked in that 2.1 case from the previouse owner(s).
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

78 westy wrote:
Alright ten cent no worries sorry I'm not much of an engine guy but if I understand correctly a better breathing functioning motor should put the dreaded yearly etest worries to rest?

You project too much into this. It's very simple.

The engine management systems have much more to do with passing emissions than the engine, within very wide bounds as far as the engine is concerned. Any modified engine I sell for a road vehicle is going to be way within those bounds. It's a truck; I build a truck motor, not a hot-rod. It has higher compression so it burns the fuel even more completely than stock, which also did a pretty good job for its day. That's the very foundation of clean emissions: complete burn.

All you need to know is this: keep the engine management stock and operating properly, and from an emissions perspective it's a stock engine. How much more simply can I put it?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it thanx! Very Happy

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used the complete small car kit? I have an automatic and i am attracted to it being sold as "complete" kit. For the price i expect there to be no issues with cheap thorttle conversions or having to dremel engine mounts. In either case i could fab my own (if i had the time). I was even thinking of using their coolant reveseing service but like wildthings said i could have it done locally if someone had a cad or pdf template for the local shop.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kbeehner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '91 Vanagon with 480,000 miles. My first engine was regasketed at around 100,000 or 125,000. Then it drove until about 415,000 before I lost compression in one of my cylinders.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty impressive.

Curious, is it an automatic?

WBX man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that the 1.9 is much stronger because I believe the angle between the conrod and crank is more critical and therefore gives the 1.9 an advantage from the start.
My previous 1.9 vent more than 320,000 miles
I only took the motor apart because the car was too rusty to fix, and I was wrecking the car.
When I opened the motor I could see wear on the main bearings but nothing serious.The camshaft bearings was totally worn out and the white metal was peeling off.
The liners still had the factory cross marks inside and the pistons didn’t show any sign of wear only the piston rings where done.
The heads had a lot of pitting due to wrong or missing coolant (before I knew anything about the WBX I have at times used pure water in the cooler system Confused Sorry !).
I sold the crank case and crank, which both were within the measures from the Bentley repair manual.
The crank actually didn’t vary much from a “new” crank measurement!
I would say about 200,000 miles is easy achievable if you do frequent oil changes etc. and don’t over revs your engine

My recent projects:
http://www.t3nettet.dk/viewtopic.php?p=6342#6342
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kbeehner wrote:
I have a '91 Vanagon with 480,000 miles. My first engine was regasketed at around 100,000 or 125,000. Then it drove until about 415,000 before I lost compression in one of my cylinders.

I also have to ask is this an automatic?

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX man wrote:
I would say about 200,000 miles is easy achievable if you do frequent oil changes etc. and don’t over revs your engine

I'm curious if by 'over rev' you mean stock redline or above the stock rev limit?
WBX man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8419p27 wrote:
I'm curious if by 'over rev' you mean stock redline or above the stock rev limit?

I would say if you go beond max. power which means 4800 rpm for a MV

I mean use you car with common sense and don't abuse it.

What is the purpose to go beond 4800 rpm. any way ? The power is just decreases from there on....

My recent projects:
http://www.t3nettet.dk/viewtopic.php?p=6342#6342
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
ftp2leta wrote:
How can he know that? Tell me?

Wasser boxer are strong engine, they will leak at the head way before they explode.

In my experience the oil light will start coming on at times when it didn't used to do so. Yes they will start leaking at the water jacket-head gasket at as little as 80-90K for a OEM factory engine. I kept the leaks at bay on my 91 until it had 150 or 160K. Didn't bother with just regasketing when the heads weepage got out of control though because the oil pressure warning light was coming on and I knew something else wasn't right. This was years ago before I ever heard of Samba, but it didn't take a seer to know that some part deep inside that aluminium box was thinking of blowing.

Well, i think that when you see that light it's to late anyway.

As of today, i have over 20 sick engine in the shop / shed / part van, all sick but none have a hole in it. in the past 6 years i have seen 2 engine with a hole/ broken rod, both where 1,9L. The fist one had no more oil in it (hole on top) and a baldly leaking oil pressure sensor. The second one was missing a bore hole plug.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NEVER going back to VW, NEVER. But not because i think that they will explode.

So if you want to prevent engine wear / degradation, get a real oil pressure Gage, inboard or not.

I have customer with well over 300k km (190k miles) with fine running engine.

But again, i fully agree that it's time to think for a rebuilt at the 160-180k miles mark.... . Or better, a conversion. When you taste the 170hp + range, believe me, you don't want to go back to your stock 80hp engine (don't even think that most of you guys with older engine are even close to 90hp). Many purist have tried my van and after the ride, they where breathless.

Pushrod engine in 2009, yea sure.

Ben

I've driven and owned every form of oem Vanagons i can say i love them all except for one problem: lack of power. So when i found my syncro i wasn't worried about how long the ol water boxer would last. In fact i wanted it to die so i'd have a good reason to replace it. If it didn't die sooner rather then later i still would have replaced aprox when i did. These vans beg for engine coversions. Haveing gotten my 1.8t running and on it's 1st few tes drives before i rap it up: i couldn't be happier. 200+ is ALOT better the 80ish. Best thing is parts and labor will get this motor in and running roughly for what a tiico conversion went for in just parts(see link http://www.stephansautohaus.com/). If you have a boxer don't waist yer time and money save up for a good coversion and drive a Van VW should have made from the get go.
beatrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the question that is the title of the post- exactly 136,973 miles. (anecdotal, to be sure) Very Happy
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've driven and owned every form of oem Vanagons i can say i love them all except for one problem: lack of power. So when i found my syncro i wasn't worried about how long the ol water boxer would last. In fact i wanted it to die so i'd have a good reason to replace it. If it didn't die sooner rather then later i still would have replaced aprox when i did. These vans beg for engine coversions. Haveing gotten my 1.8t running and on it's 1st few tes drives before i rap it up: i couldn't be happier. 200+ is ALOT better the 80ish. Best thing is parts and labor will get this motor in and running roughly for what a tiico conversion went for in just parts(see link http://www.stephansautohaus.com/). If you have a boxer don't waist yer time and money save up for a good coversion and drive a Van VW should have made from the get go.

I have to agree that the 1.8T is a sweet engine. One of the best VW engine. Last summer we converted an old Jetta with a nice 1.8T, of course the power was not enough for my helper/tuner so we change the turbo and tune the ECU, the last i heard from him he was at 290hp.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Quote:

I have to agree that the 1.8T is a sweet engine. One of the best VW engine. Last summer we converted an old Jetta with a nice 1.8T, of course the power was not enough for my helper/tuner so we change the turbo and tune the ECU, the last i heard from him he was at 290hp.

Ben

No kidding. the 1.8t is a great motor. Of course it has a few easy fix weaknesses like the plastic impeller h20 pump and ignition coils. Keep ontop of the timeing belt plus reg oil changes and the motor will see over 250k miles. Another positive is how easy it is to upgade power/torque levels with bolt ons. This swap to me was a win win. It's also easier to work on in the van as opposed to a golf/jetta.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: