Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How long will the 2.1 wbx last ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:

No kidding. the 1.8t is a great motor. Of course it has a few easy fix weaknesses like the plastic impeller h20 pump and ignition coils. Keep ontop of the timeing belt plus reg oil changes and the motor will see over 250k miles. Another positive is how easy it is to upgade power/torque levels with bolt ons. This swap to me was a win win. It's also easier to work on in the van as opposed to a golf/jetta.

did you do the swap yourself or got it done at StephenHaus? It looks like his price is closer to 10K....

Is there any kit/support for someone who would want to do it himself?
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX man wrote:
8419p27 wrote:
I'm curious if by 'over rev' you mean stock redline or above the stock rev limit?

I would say if you go beond max. power which means 4800 rpm for a MV

I mean use you car with common sense and don't abuse it.

What is the purpose to go beond 4800 rpm. any way ? The power is just decreases from there on....

Cool, thanks.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
dredward wrote:

No kidding. the 1.8t is a great motor. Of course it has a few easy fix weaknesses like the plastic impeller h20 pump and ignition coils. Keep ontop of the timeing belt plus reg oil changes and the motor will see over 250k miles. Another positive is how easy it is to upgade power/torque levels with bolt ons. This swap to me was a win win. It's also easier to work on in the van as opposed to a golf/jetta.

did you do the swap yourself or got it done at StephenHaus? It looks like his price is closer to 10K....

Is there any kit/support for someone who would want to do it himself?

Stefan did my harness, intercooler pipes, and motor/engine mounts. I removed the old boxer and installed the new motor and harness done by Stefan. Stefan answered all my question and was a great help and time saver with his tech support.
I happened to source a complete conversion in Sac. Stefan allowed me and a friend to test ride his van to see if it was something i wanted to do before i got my swap. I was sold after 1min of driveing. He has to have one of the fastest dependable vans in the country aside from swaps he's done since.
weatherbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 70k on a b.bob rebuild, but the mocafs Ibelieve they are called were installed, so not getting the compression I would like.

Q - if the mocafs are in, would that make the engine last longer, since its not getting full compression (workout)?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherbill wrote:
I have about 70k on a b.bob rebuild, but the mocafs Ibelieve they are called were installed, so not getting the compression I would like.

Q - if the mocafs are in, would that make the engine last longer, since its not getting full compression (workout)?

I think you mean Cofaps Wink They lower the compression ratio from 8.8:1 to about 8.2:1. This is enough to degrade the torque, hp, and fuel economy to a noticeable degree, but not enough of a difference to change the load on the bottom end. I think it's important to remember that the wbx is actually pretty robust in terms of main bearings, journal bearings, and wrist pin diameter so there wouldn't be any measurable enhancement to durability from reducing the cr a little more than half a point. Similarly, the metal combustion seal is not a problem area on the wbx - the water jacket seal is the culprit of the "head gasket problems". The combustion seal handles a high cr of 10.3:1 with no problems in the case of the 112hp euro spec wbx engine.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 231k on the odometer......and my speedo cable broke about 1.5 years ago.still running.only leak that makes it to the ground is power steering pump.knock on wood!!!
2006 jeep commander
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kbeehner wrote:
I have a '91 Vanagon with 480,000 miles. My first engine was regasketed at around 100,000 or 125,000. Then it drove until about 415,000 before I lost compression in one of my cylinders.

The title of this thread is "How long will a WBX last?". And i think we have a winner!
Seriously though could we get alittle more history on this engine and vanagon? Are you driving a auto or stick? Westy or 7-passenger?
Did you add alittle scotch to every tank or something?
mmmmm.....scotch..
kylemason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988 Vanagon Automatic.........
I'm the third owner, I have all of the receipts from 1991-current.
Heads replaced March 1993, $850.00, 125,930 miles
Transmission rebuilt November 1997, $617.08, 247,840 miles

Left head removed and spark plug hole repaired and burned exhaust valve replaced, 301,060 miles. I did the work myself, so the cost was parts only.

The bottom end has never been apart, and the oil pressure sensors were replaced at 283K miles.

kylemason.
Since the 480K guy didn't reply does that mean I win? Laughing
vwkid78666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: where can i find new conrod bolts?!!?!!? 2.1 wbx here Reply with quote

im going crazy trying to find conrod bolts!! everyone says to replace them.. my van has 85,000 miles on it. people keep telling me to put 1.9 nonstretch bolts on there or new 2.1 stretchers but i cant seem to find a lick of anything!! please help as i need to drive my van from tx to boston in a few days!!

Thanks, Christian
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why'd you post this here? You would have got more attention by starting your own thread with the question.

Whatever. Just get a set of rebuilt rods. If you did just replace the bolts, you would still have to resize the big ends. Uness you're sitting on a Bridgeport this will take some time. If you're in a hurry a set of reconnned rods will be your fastest route to reassembly.

If you order today these guys will have them on the way to you by this afternoon, and they have the 1.9 bolts in them. Call instead of ordering online, ask for Chris and see if he can get them on the way faster for you, maybe pay for overnight depending on your time constraints. I've used them and they're a very good set of rods.:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_679_718/connecting_rods_set_of_4___see_description.html

It doesn't get easier than that. You'll have a hell of a time finding just the bolts anyway; probably a dealer only item and special order at that.

Yours don't have a lot of miles, but retorquing the 2.1 stretch bolts often results in total failure shortly thereafter; stretch bolts should have never been used on connecting rods in the first place (so much for the brilliance of German engineering), but the worst thing you can do is use them a second time. They tend to shear soon after a second stretch.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkid78666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: sorry man Reply with quote

i just dont know how to start a new thread!!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly ever do it myself, so I have to look for it every time, but there's a button at the top of the topic list on the forum page. It goes away on a thread page, you have to be on the forum page where the topics are listed. The button says "New Topic". Click that, you have to enter a title for your thread, add your text, and submit.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: How long will the 2.1 wbx last ? Reply with quote

78 westy wrote:
Got a WBX with 138k miles on it runs great when should i be thinking about a rebuild? Rolling Eyes

Mine went 179K miles

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: