Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Related to all the "Going South" posts, bumfuzzle.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Mighty.....I thought that it was made up for a bit there...

LMAO Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

6. asshattery
a place where asshats are created, incubated, or otherwise come into being

just snuck out of the asshattery, didn't ya?
jagoff asshat dumb fuck boob idiot

7. Asshattery

Asshattery is when somebody is being an asshat and subjecting you to the effects of their condition. Also, something that an asshat would do.
What asshattery is this?

Please don't subject me to your asshattery.
I'm engaging in asshattery.
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I started this firestorm! At first I felt kind of bad about it, but I think when these kind of threads take on a life of thier own it gives us a good insight to the personalities behind the avatars. Except for you Art, that one is fairly obvious Laughing

Even though I have only been here a year, or so, I feel like it's a very strong community that truely has the goal of helping each other out. At times it does get a little melodramatic, and there deifinitly is a cast of core players, but that is what makes this forum so great.

I am a live and let live kind of guy. I don't care if they're the prince and princess of Dubai, but I still stand by my opinion. Maybe if I had refered to them as affluent vagabonds nobody would have noticed. More power to 'em, looks like they're having fun. I'd buy them beer if I met them, but I won't buy a $27 t-shirt or a PayPal pizza. That kinda dough goes straight to my van Wink
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not buy a t-shirt from them or buy them a pizza either but I sure plan on having them over for dinner and beers the next time they are in PDX. this is from another thread for your enjoyment.................

bumfuzzle wrote:
Steve. H wrote:
Maybe this is explained on your website, I looked but could not find it. How do you finance these trips?

Hey Steve,
Yes it's on the site somewhere since it is the most common question we've been asked over the years. Basic answer is work, save, invest, and then sell everything. In fact, everything we own would fit in our bus, everything. No house pmt., no cell phone, no cable, no insurance, nothing but us and the bus. That's how we do it. I was a self employed commodities trader mainly specializing in short vol option trading in the ag complex. Ali was a secretary. Fascinating huh?

fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
short vol option trading

The rest of us aren't spoilt rich kids cause we don't have the balls to do this. I've been aspiring to be a spoilt rich kid my whole life, but , alas, it's too late for me. I'm moving on to aspiring to be the spoiled rich middle age dude.

Let's see, only 385,983 more cupholders to build and I'm there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does one get the money to be a "self employed commodities trader mainly specializing in short vol option trading in the ag complex" at 20-something.

What's a "short vol option" anyway?
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things Mrs. Baxta & I did after seeing Bumfuzzle's site was to determine what it was that we had to do to be able to do what they're doing. We've got decent jobs, and own (along with our bank) the townhouse that we live in, but we've got 3 kids at home most days, and can't really pull them out of school while we toodle around the globe.

Spoiled rich kids? I think not - they're driving around surrounded by everything they own. Dude seems to have done well trading before they started their adventures - I'm a little envious of what (from the other side of a computer screen) looks to be good fortune, but nothing to the point of name-calling.

Good on them, I say! How many of us have the 'nads to do what they're doing?
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where does one get the money to be a "self employed commodities trader mainly specializing in short vol option trading in the ag complex" at 20-something.

Leverage, 100:1 or maybe more, goes both ways Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:

Mofus,

All you need is a few $K in a futures account, willingness to lose it all, and and hopefully mentoring by someone who knows the ropes. No big $ are needed at all to trade commodities.

I trade for a (modest) living, and I cannot imagine a better income generation activity (my term) for long term travel. Laptop, web connection and about 1 hour a day is all I'd need to have enough cash to travel almost indefinitely. Disclaimer, I have a wife and 2 great kiddos that keep me in Portland, but I only wish I was hip to trading in my more footloose days. Oh wait, there wasn't an Interweb back then . . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but not completely. My wife finished reading a book last week, and recommended it to me with a devious smile. So I've spent the last week tearing through it. I'm in.

In what you say? The book is titled "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" and it's about a "regular" couple from Toronto who, kind of out of nowhere, decide they want to take a few years off from the ratrace, and sail to the Caribbean. They developed a 5 year plan to pay off debts, buy a bluewater sailboat and restore it, and plan their careers to the point they could take 2 years off.

Then they did it. Okay, so it really took them 7 years to start, but nonetheless, they did it. The book is about their travels, not about getting there, and it's a great read. It also introduced me to www.ministryofrum.com which is now bookmarked on my computer. Very Happy

So, we had a sailboat for years, selling it in 2006. The wife never seemed to care for it, I think because she didn't take the time to learn sailing, so she didn't seem involved/invested. It went from being "our" sailboat to being "my" sailboat. She didn't seem to miss it when we sold it. After reading the book, I asked her what she had thought of it, and I was stunned at her reply. She admitted to never feeling confident when we sailed before, and she truly regrets selling the boat. Now she wants to buy another sailboat, and she wants to start planning our own sailing hiatus. 7 years +/- to restore an older sailboat, and pay off mortgage, etc. Might even sell the Westy to do this, but I hope we don't have to.

So, we will be sitting down in the next week or so to figure this out. God, I'm excited. I love traveling, and spending long periods embedding myself in the local world. Get away from the tourist side of the island, and see the real people. I almost always come away from these encounters amazed at how wonderful people are.

I don't care how rich these Bumfuzzle people are, I respect them putting themselves out there. Take the good from their exploits, leave what you don't like. To each his own.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:

What's a "short vol option" anyway?

let it go dude, those kids are doing fine. At 20, back in Europe, I was having unprotected sex and wasting all my money in drinks and night clubs. It took me a bunch of years and some traveling to realize I was following the wrong path, those two are doing the right thing and learning lots of things (including how to cook) along the way. Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuses are just that, excuses. Rent out the house, load the kids in the van and go. Your kids will learn more on a trip to Panama than they will ever learn in school, this is a chance to for to be a real parent who can have a positive affect on your kids development. Why else do you work.
suebicum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Now we're going in to the right direction Applause .
Its not how can they do it, its how could I do what I always wanted.

@hiram6 so you also read a book Wink
Well, since I started on my dream (Americas tour) about 3 years back people are throwing book suggestions at me, and I tell you it only gets worse Very Happy .
And guess what "Witless Joe" I’m reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and I’m not a baby boomer Twisted Evil . And yes, I admit I’m a classical person Wink .
Working on my van/trip has become Zen.
How do I finance it ? 4d/10h weeks on a construction site doing it all, carpentry, electric, concrete, roofing…. I’m not good at trading, so I got to do something else.
Yes I’m jealous sometimes Embarassed , I would like to make more money, but in the trades its good money but not in an overflow.
The only thing that I could say about the Bumfuzzys, they got out before the market imploded.
That said it, doesn’t excuse the attitude, but that’s just my opinion.

Michael
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate this thread.

I am not sure if they read it or not.

But I am at home, and they are at large, traveling for real.

Spoiled kids? Maybe. I read they made their own money too and left before the whole thing collapsed.

True, the image they project is that of 'spoiled American kids' many "hate" (and I do).

Money is not the only thing, it takes guts too. And they can teach a lesson to many, me included.

So, in that way, they deserve some respect, and less judgment too.

I have not met them, so I can't judge them.

JP
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one check the Bumfuzzle site every day for a new update, I think what they are doing is fascinating. All you naysayers are just a bunch of crybabies...quit yer whining!

They are obviously not dummies, they did well for themselves with the options trading and decided to pursue their dream while they were still young and childless. What's to hate here? I think the haters are just jealous.

Not everyone should be "poo pooed" on just because they didn't do all their own work on their VW. Obviously he was busy making money while the rest of you were sanding rust off a used wheel cylinder! Very Happy I paid to have Buddy Hale do the paint/body and AJ Sims do my motor on my old '65 Bug, and I still did most of the assembly myself. Not everyone has the time to do a whole resto by themselves. For God's sake, just read Hot VW's every month for "checkbook restored" VW's!

He has knowledge to get in their and do some repairs if you read the whole site, both on his boat and the VW. They also have the knowledge to update the website, with pics and videos too, on a wireless laptop.

As far as the cooking, I bet most of those local restaurants are dirt cheap anyways, so why cook? The restaurants look fantastic....and they get to drink all those cool foreign beers.

And Pat, if you are reading this, give me your secrets and some research tips for making out as well as you seem to have in the commodities world in lovely and currently frozen Chicago! I was born in St Paul and lived there until I was 11 (38 now).

Thanks,
Mike Fritz, CPA
Chicago
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friend (Jerry) just made it today to Bacalar Mexico, it's basically about 2.5 hrs south of Cancun. One of the first thing he did is post a picture of that incredible lake we all have seen on picture (it's late at night so we don't see much colours).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(click on it to see it full size)

It's a 6000km ride from Ontario Canada. They did it in one smooth week.
Here is a picture when he left home with his kid and girlfriend, and ho, + 2 dogs. That picture say a lot.... you can feel the cold and see a surfboard on the trailer:

Here is Jerry, a pool cue maker, a great men and a good friend. Here is Jerry signature on all e-mail he sent:

""""Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain""""""

Out of 10 trying to do this year trip... only 3 or 4 will make it. For some reason, it was just a dream for some, a big possibility for others, last minute obstacle for some. But the dream do live. And that is the only thing that matter. On our last year trip, 45 where suppose to go, about only 13 did it (+ 3 met on the road)

Did you look at that heavily loaded van pulling a trailer. Jerry don't spend to much time thinking about possible problem! He spent time dreaming and making it happen.

Now Frank Condelli should meet him tomorrow.

Today, here in Montreal Canada it's -4F, i had a hard time heating the shop. It's my last 20K$ big job, I'm done tomorrow.... i spent all day looking at all my Westy and none Westy trip.

I was not suppose to go this year for different reason, including one being not really having the full budget!

I could take the plane and be there in 4 hours.

But today, i stumble on that picture:

This was taken in 2003, i was driving west to California and after would end up in Baja. I was in Texas, i was relax and taking a coffee wondering about which road i would take that day, even if my sick 73 didn't want to go anywhere...

So, i have every reason to stay home this winter

The hell with that.... I have THE van and it's screaming to go ride

I will join them at the end of January, even if i will be travelling alone in Mexico, something that i have to say, bug me a bit . But after a day IN, even if i will miss my beloved girlfriend (she will join me by plane for a week or 2), i will drive... drive and drive and be an happy men road tripping.

Again, here is their blog, or maybe soon i will say our blog Smile
http://poolio.net/bacalarblog/

So, if any of you are thinking... well, shit, i could take a few weeks Smile

You know what to do.

Ben
ps,: life is way to short, don't miss it!
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

Peterborough to Mexico in a Vanagon. I'm impressed!
JustBarry1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Bumfuzzle makes my day Reply with quote

Thought Id add some positive chat for Pat n Ali, i think they are great!
yeh they arent the first travellers and they wont be the last, but their website is a good read. I like Pats writing and found myself interested in their sailing blog long before they got the bus.

Now they are travelling around in a 58 bus.

Good for them, and thanks for them to be sharing it with us on their blog www.bumfuzzle.com

Cool
billyfeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following the Bumfuzzle Blog since the early boat trip. I can understand the folks that think that the "Spoiled Rich Kids" are clueless and don't deserve the fun trips they take. But if a person reads the log of the boat trip, and has any personal experience in small boat voyaging, it is clear that this couple are tough, smart, and have what it takes to overcome life threatening obstacles. A credit card with a $100,000 limit is not what you need in the Pacific on a poorly built catamaran. You need brains and guts, and that is what these two have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny that everybody is still posting to this thread defending them when they don't like The Samba or the "old men" posting here.
Too bad too, because I actually liked this VW couple.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta crawl out and say, yes, at first glance it looks like Ken & Barbie on a cruise. But I also gotta doff my toupe to them for their nerve and elan. And I agree whole-hearted with Mark Twain's quote someone posted. Like an old saying goes, as far as anyone really knows, this isn't a rehearsal for life, this is it. These people will have a lot of look back on with joy in their old age, following another old saying, a life well lived is a death without regrets.

So as I'm pushing 60, have lived in Europe and traveled the world myself a lot, I gotta ask those young'uns here who desire to do a trip like this - are you gonna wait until you're old and creaky to do it or stop blubbering and get your show on the road ?

And money ? That's your own fault if you don't have any. Did you clown around back in school and now don't have a good job ? Do you have a good savings plan or did you opt to have a large family now ? Etc.

These folks may have to go back to work for awhile when their trip is over but I suspect they handle their finances wisely and shoot the line, go for broke whenever they have the opportunity. I met another couple, now in their forties but looking much younger, from Boise this past summer who have been doing the same thing for decades. Traveling the world in their VW camper between working gigs. Happy and healthy as clams.

End of lecture ... crawling back .....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: