Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper motor hot?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Wiper motor hot? Reply with quote

Took our 1973 Thing out today for a Sunday drive with the family in sunny So Cal (90 outside and beautiful) and after we got home I noticed the wiper mother was Hot. Let the car set in the garage and checked it a few hours later it was still very hot... Checked the switch and it was on. The motor was not running but it got hot. Bad motor? Did I burn it up? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, your motor is trying to return to park but the armature is stuck against the magnet. If my absentee diagnosis is correct you will need to have someone rebuild your wiper motor who has the parts and knowledge how to do it. There are a number of us out here who do this job regularly. Sometimes a thorough cleaning, grease and the wiper motor is good for another round. But more often parts are required to get the wiper motor as new again. In that case, it is sometimes best to allow one of us Thing wiper motor folks to rework your wiper motor. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you would more assistance with this matter. If you leave this situation as it is, you will at best blow a fuse or perhaps other electrical issues will arise. The wiper motor has a constantly "on" positive electrical lead that will continue to draw juice until the wiper motor blows the fuse of burns something. Remember this is a diagnosis in the blind based on the stuff you posted. But I have seen this exact situation on more than one Thing and my guess about your issue is what it usually turns out to be. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... I have not used the motor since I got the car because I need the rest of the parts. Talked to the shop that works on my car and he said he has a guy that can repair the motor. I see how much $ they are to replace! Plan to get the parts end of the month. Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull the plug on the wiper switch on the steering column.
You should have someone who has experience with that specific motor work on it.
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbussur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what happened to mine, Kubellman. I was able to rebuild mine with another parts motor and it works great now. Anthony
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repairing these wiper motors can be a tricky business. Sometimes you can take them apart, clean, grease and adjust them and they will work. Other times they have missing or broken parts that keep them from working. That is when the repair does require someone who repairs them on a regular basis and has the parts inventory to make them work properly. Collecting Thing wiper motor repair parts is an expensive hobby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbussur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it sure is, lucky I had a nice cache of old motors that have been shelved for this purpose, along with other parts waiting for their day.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. I really enjoy making stuff work.
DUSTY BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wiper motor went from getting hot and not working at all to purring like a kitten in about 30 min. Pulled the cover off removed the armateur cleaned everything with scotchbrite, aligned it, assembled squirt it with wd 40. now it works like a dream. I was very happy, i cant believe how much people want for new and rebuilt units, way too expensive. Theres not too much to them. Do it yourself. and i live in sunny so cal and it was great to have wipers while it was pouring down today.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: