Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify this 36hp? I dare you!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn......i havent heard the term "gelled out" since the late 80s,cool forgotten saying!
Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right hand side of the "freaky 36" case looks like it came from a 1959-60 "Bastard" motor replacement case.
Please post a picture of the flywheel end of the case.

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt think the main journals lined up from 36 to 40 horse
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All(?) bastard cases have a huge rear main seal so this would be an issue.
Bastard engine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: freaky 36 Reply with quote

Joe, where did you get pic's for this?

Frank
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: freaky 36 Reply with quote

fcampbell356 wrote:
Joe, where did you get pic's for this?

Frank

I got the "freaky 36" block along with a set of NOS MAICO'S and some other stuff Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

So whatever happend to this freaky 36hp ????
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

Damn was I smart or what????????? 12 years ago I dont even remember doing that research......Im satisfied with my answer
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

I have a 36hp with no generator stand as well, its got a plate over it, came from an estate where the Dad messed around with airplanes, was a part time machinist. I'll have to check, but I bet mine has just been sawed off and milled. Joe's 36hp on the other hand, is goofy, having the breather/generator stand boss cast in and machined for studs. It would take a special die to cast such a different casting. Unlike sand molds, where you can go in before casting and make a cavity large with a spoon, by hand, a diecast die is tool steel, not easy to modify those. AT least, I'm 98% certain even the 36hp cases were diecast....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
I have a 36hp with no generator stand as well, its got a plate over it, came from an estate where the Dad messed around with airplanes, was a part time machinist. I'll have to check, but I bet mine has just been sawed off and milled. Joe's 36hp on the other hand, is goofy, having the breather/generator stand boss cast in and machined for studs. It would take a special die to cast such a different casting. Unlike sand molds, where you can go in before casting and make a cavity large with a spoon, by hand, a diecast die is tool steel, not easy to modify those. AT least, I'm 98% certain even the 36hp cases were diecast....

Post some pictures 👍👍
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
TomSimon wrote:

Post some pictures 👍👍

I took a better look at it last weekend... mine has just had it's generator stand milled off
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

Here's some more on one of these...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9261187#9261187

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Here's some more on one of these...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9261187#9261187

Casey

That's not a 36hp case like the one joe posted from that topic it's a regular case that someone coverted for a small airplane/craft engine two completely different engine case ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: