Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify this 36hp? I dare you!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Identify this 36hp? I dare you! Reply with quote

Check out this "freak." Other than the crank pulley, what is wrong in these photos? Who can identify its application?

Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No generator stand is weird.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe i would guess that has been owner modified as the original 36hp case wouldnt have a perfect circle for cavity in the generator stand.

also has a degree pulley and oil cooler adapter for some external cooling

my guess
aircraft of some sort

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess, which is probably insane, is that someone mated a 36hp left side case to a 40hp right side case. Not sure if that is possible to get everything working though...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is an Okrasa aircraft engine case with stock heads........they have the pump mount and no generator stand as seen on Joes engine....but I thought they used the dual port heads..........maybe its an engine out of a Tipsy Nipper kit airplane built in Belgium........
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Where's the proof? Reply with quote

volksworker wrote:
My guess is an Okrasa aircraft engine case with stock heads........they have the pump mount and no generator stand as seen on Joes engine....but I thought they used the dual port heads..........maybe its an engine out of a Tipsy Nipper kit airplane built in Belgium........

I did not know there was an OKRASA aircraft engine?!?!?! Do you have any printed information showing/telling us this? I have looked at the gen. stand area and its factory cast, no modifications made!! If you look closely, you will see that everything else is 36hp so "switching" case halves from a 40hp wont work since that too is a longer/different size...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: airplane kit Reply with quote

Theres a pic of an aircraft engine labeled "Okrasa-VW airplane engine" on page 179 of Elfrinks "All About the Volkswagen" 1958 edition
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: airplane kit Reply with quote

volksworker wrote:
Theres a pic of an aircraft engine labeled "Okrasa-VW airplane engine" on page 179 of Elfrinks "All About the Volkswagen" 1958 edition

I dont have that book. Does the photo show a 36hp based engine with a bolt on generator stand? Scann the book and post photo(s) so everybody can see OK? Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Wink
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Elfrink Reply with quote

It does show the old style pump with no generator stand. With a magnifying glass it looks like your case I have to say. Motor has the dual port heads however and fuel pump is an aircraft type so it looks like its mounted upside down. Looks like a breather is coming out of the gen stand area. I will attempt to post the pic..........
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Elfrink Reply with quote

volksworker wrote:
It does show the old style pump with no generator stand. With a magnifying glass it looks like your case I have to say. Motor has the dual port heads however and fuel pump is an aircraft type so it looks like its mounted upside down. Looks like a breather is coming out of the gen stand area. I will attempt to post the pic..........

Yeah...Just to clear this up. Its a strange engine. I have never seen a 36hp engine with a bolt on generator stand. I wonder if this is pre-basterd 40hp engine?
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would now say that its out of a Jodel D9 or a Druine D31 turbulent, both post war euro homebuilt aircraft....It was first built by Roger Druine a frenchman but later the rights were sold to a german manufacturer.....initially they used 1100s out of the Kubels laying all around europe but eventually moved up to the bad 36hp............they also used stock heads..........check this out..............when you pimp it off to one of these guys I want my cut.............any numbers on it?

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1953/1953%20-%201077.html
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice detective work! so is the mystery over?
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Close but no cigar.......Investigation continues..... Reply with quote

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1953/1953%20-%201077.html

hugheseum wrote:
nice detective work! so is the mystery over?

Not quite! I opened the above link and it took me to a page/photo of this VW engine in an airplane. I scanned then downloaded the photo for referrence and shows a REGULAR 25hp engine with the generator stand cut off and a plate put in its place! You can clearly see the (3) nuts holding the plate in location. Compare this photo to the other photo I submitted and you can clearly see that this generator stand area is NOT THE SAME. The airplane engine has an area that is rectangle whereas the "freaky 36hp" engine has a clearly SQUARE boss with (4) studs. Can anybody see the difference or am I imagining things?......By the way, the airplane engine shows a pre-1950 engine as visable in the cylinder head fin configuration.
At first glance, I thought someone welded up the area after they cut the generator stand off and just machined a (4) hole'd, flat area for a removable generator stand BUT THAT WAS NOT THE CASE! (no pun intended) This "freaky 36" block was cast with a removeable generator stand...

Last edited by Mr. Okrasa on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats the only pic I could find of an early conversion....I realized it was an 1100 and the stand looked funky.....there were others built under license from Druines Ardem company on the later 36 motors by other German firms like Stark and the british firm Rollason which probably account for the recast side of the motor........but couldnt find a pic that clearly shows it........one last note is that the EAA publication [their club magazine] published an article entitled "Put a Beetle under your Bonnet" that may show pics of the Ardem or Stark motors in the 60s......but I couldnt find it on the net.........so where did you find this case? That would be interesting to know.
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I guess I will have to scan page 149 of Elfrinks book...........get down with this Mr. O

snaaap......
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice....does this close the book on the "freak"? turns out its just an oddball airplane engine? i wonder how many other configurations/applications there are out there. nice conversation piece either way (the longblock)
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Mystery Engine Reply with quote

Joe , Just to add some observations to the mystery engine , although I have no definitive answer . The ignition on the " Elfinks " aircraft engine appears to be driven from the flywheel end as opposed to the usual method of using a magneto in the distributor hole , as well as dual port cylinder heads . Also , the Hoffman prop is reverse rotation as you would expect ( different from standard " American " practice ) , as is usual with most VW aircraft applications . I notice that there appears to be some sort of serial number in the usual position on the generator stand pad , does it give any clue as to a VW use like possibly an industrial engine code ? Other than the remote oil cooler modification , the engine as it appears does not seem to have had an aviation use in its last incarnation , judging from the flywheel and pulley . Gene Oshrin A+P/IA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Looks good but still not clear...... Reply with quote

volksworker wrote:
Ok I guess I will have to scan page 149 of Elfrinks book...........get down with this Mr. O

OK! This looks good but it still does not show the generator stand area clearly. It appears to have some sort of block off plate with a hose/pipe coming out of it but I dont see the (4) studs as clearly visable in "freaky 36". You can tell the the generator stand was cut off by the "stub" noted in the raised red circled area compared to the flat area in the "freaky 36". By the way, there are some serial numbers stamped on the generator stand area that are for a Beetle application and NOT an industrial application.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.............what yr does the beetle #s make it?
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Year? Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
well.............what yr does the beetle #s make it?

I have to go and write the number down...... I "gelled-out" last time and forgot to write it down...... Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: