Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting the rear axle/seals/bearings back together
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the rear axle/seals/bearings back together Reply with quote

Another quick question....I put the drain plugs back in and torqued to 14 ft/lbs. The front plug has 2-3 threads still showing. Does that seem right? I guess I expected it to be closer to flush.

BTW, I recovered about 1/2 gallon of oil when I drained it. That seems to work out to about 75% of the 2.5 liter fill amount (if my math is correct).

Thanks.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the rear axle/seals/bearings back together Reply with quote

Perfectly normal for the forward plug to protrude like that when tight.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the rear axle/seals/bearings back together Reply with quote

Back again with another quick question....do I need to apply grease to the rear brake drum splines or the axle when re-installing the drum? I haven't seen any reference to this in the Bug Me video or other things I've read.

Thanks.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the rear axle/seals/bearings back together Reply with quote

Not sure if it's in the manual, but by putting a thin layer of grease on the splines it will help keep moisture out of the fitting and lessen the chance the two will rust together.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the rear axle/seals/bearings back together Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Back again with another quick question....do I need to apply grease to the rear brake drum splines or the axle when re-installing the drum? I haven't seen any reference to this in the Bug Me video or other things I've read.

Thanks.

use lube sparingly or not at all, else it will enter the brake drum and ruin brake shoe. I install with extremely thin coat of oil on shaft, wiped fairly dry, no build up in valleys between splines you dont want gease nor oil to be plowed to the inside off the shaft as drum is installed. if grease or oil is pushed inwards, it will not be contained by rhe drum/shaft interface, and then centrifical force will move it to rhe braking surface with simular effect on braking as an axle seal oil leak.

always degrease drum inside before install

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the rear axle/seals/bearings back together Reply with quote

I put this how-to together for rear bearing and seal replacement in the oval forum, but it's accurate up through 1964

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692667
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: